|Residence||United States of America|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur, University of Alabama, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Fields||Multi-objective optimization and Evolutionary Algorithm|
|Institutions||Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University|
Kalyanmoy Deb is an Indian computer scientist. Since 2013, Deb has held the Herman E. & Ruth J. Koenig Endowed Chair in the Department of Electrical and Computing Engineering at Michigan State University, which was established in 2001. Deb is a Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University. Prior to this position, Deb held the positions of Deva Raj Endowed Chair and Gurmukh and Veena Mehta Endowed Chair in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.
Deb established the Kanpur Genetic Algorithms Laboratory at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 1997 and the Computational Optimization and Innovation (COIN) Laboratory at Michigan State University in 2013. In 2001, Wiley published a textbook written by Deb titled Multi-Objective Optimization using Evolutionary Algorithms as part of its series on "Systems and Optimization". In an analysis of the network of authors in the academic field of evolutionary computation by Carlos Cotta and Juan-Julián Merelo, Deb was identified as one of the most central authors in the community and was designated as a "sociometric superstar" of the field. Deb has several honors to his credit, which include Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award in engineering sciences in 2005, Thomson Citation Laureate award for his highly cited research in computer science during 1996–2005 and MCDM Edgeworth-Pareto Award for a record of creativity to the extent that the field of MCDM would not exist in its current form in 2008. Deb has been awarded the Infosys Prize in Engineering and Computer Science from Infosys Science Foundation, Bangalore, India for his contributions to the emerging field of Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization (EMO) that has led to advances in non-linear constraints, decision uncertainty, programming and numerical methods, computational efficiency of large-scale problems and optimization algorithms. The award giving ceremony took place on 9 January 2012 in Bangalore. He is also a recipient of the 2012 TWAS Prize.
Deb is a highly cited researcher with 100,000+ Google Scholar citations and has a H-index of 101. According to the Web of Science Core Collection database, his IEEE TEC paper on NSGA-II is the first paper by authors who are all Indian to have more than 5,000 citations. Recently, he proposed an extended EMO method—NSGA-III (to appear in IEEE TEC in 2014)—for solving many-objective optimization problems involving 10+ objectives.[when?] Besides his fundamental contributions in evolutionary computation field, he has extensively worked with industries and is a consultant to a number of companies. His recently proposed "Innovization" concept for finding innovative solution principles through multi-objective optimization is extremely useful for practical problem solving tasks.
Notes and references
- Mudur, G.S. (11 May 2015). "6000-citation feat by 4 Indian researchers". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- Oswald, Tom; Mroczek, Patricia (4 September 2013). "Kalyanmoy Deb named Koenig Endowed Chair". MSU Today. Michigan State University. Archived from the original on 9 March 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Kanpur Genetic Algorithms Laboratory". Kanpur Genetic Algorithms Laboratory. Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. 2005. Archived from the original on 30 September 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Computational Optimization and Innovation Laboratory (COIN Lab)". Michigan State University, College of Engineering. Archived from the original on 9 March 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- Smith, Alice E. (October 2002). "Book Reviews: Multi-Objective Optimization Using Evolutionary Algorithms" (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computations. IEEE. 6 (6): 526. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2002.804322. ISSN 1089-778X. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Cotta, Carlos; Merelo, Juan-Julián (3 December 2013). "The Complex Network of Evolutionary Computation Authors: an Initial Study" (PDF). arXiv. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- Limited, Infosys. "Infosys - Infosys Science Foundation Announces Infosys Prize 2011 Winners | Press Releases | Newsroom". www.infosys.com. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Prizes and Awards". The World Academy of Sciences. 2016.
- Kumar, Nitin; Panwar, Yatish; Mahesh, G. (10 May 2015). "Indian paper crosses 5000+ citations mark" (PDF). Current Science. Current Science Association. 108 (9): 1580. ISSN 0011-3891. Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 August 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.