|Born||Addararachchige Gunendra Kamal
February 5, 1962
|Occupation||Actor, Singer, Teacher|
|Awards||Sarasaviya Best Actor Award (2002)|
Kamal Addararachchi - කමල් අද්දරආරච්චි (born Addararachchige Gunendra Kamal on February 5, 1962) is an award-winning Sri Lankan film and teledrama actor, singer and presenter. He made his debut as an actor in Gamini Fonseka's 1981 film Sagarayak Meda, when he was a still a student at school. Since the late 1970s, he has appeared in a variety of roles in many films and teledramas. Addararachchi, who has acted in over 40 films, 20 teledramas and 6 stage plays up to now, won the Sarasaviya Best Actor Award for his role of Sobana in Agnidahaya in 2002.
He also made a mark as a singer in 1993 with "Unmadawoo," a duet between him and Damayanthi Jayasooriya featured in the film Saptha Kanya. He was also the host of the first three seasons of Sirasa Superstar contest, a reality show, and first season of Hiru Mega Stars as well. He also had a great fall at the BMICH while singing 'Mal Pibidena Eka wasantha samayaka' by H.R.Jothipala.
He showed an initial interest in artistic work, and this prompted him to do music, sinhala literature, Kandyan Dancing and debating, all at the same time. He even worked as the secretary of the 'Sinhala Literary Society' at school.
He is married to Anurani Addararachchi and has one son. He is a noted English teacher as well.
The play, Ane Ablick, was staged in Colombo in 1978, which marked Kamal's first real encounter with the public theatre. Addararachchi, who broke into the silver screen with Gamini Fonseka's Sagarayak Meda rose to immense popularity with hits such as Saptha Kanya. He is noted for his performances in films such as Saptha Kanya by late H.D. Premaratne, Agnidahaya by Jayantha Chandrasiri and teldramas like Hiruta Muvaven by Herbert Ranjith Peiris, Rathu Rosa by Ranjan De Silva, and Weda Hamine and Dandubasna Maanaya by Jayantha Chandrasiri.
His performance on the mini screen for Dandubasna Maanaya was twice rewarded at the inaugural Sumathi Tele Awards ceremony in 1995, when he picked up, both, the award for the Best Supporting Actor as well as the Most Popular Actor Award that year. Kamal consider Dinal Samaranake a leading player as his mentor who was always prepared to offer valuable advice for himself especially when his spirits are down. Kamal was arguably the best actor among the younger generation.
In July 2012, he appeared his first Music Video (Not a movie song), with fellow mates Mahendra Perera and with Dayan Vitharana, for the song titled Hithagaawa - by Tilan Fernando Directed by Prasanna Andradi. Music Video released in first week of December 2012.
He has not been in teledramas 10 years since 2005.
Controversy has surrounded Addararachchi over the years ranging from accusations of rape to murder.
In 1997 he was accused of the abduction and rape of a young girl. He was briefly jailed, but freed on appeal. In 2002, Addararachchi was again accused and convicted of imprisoning and raping a teenage girl. He was sentenced to ten years in jail by a High Court judge; this decision was also overruled.
Ramani Bartholomeusz, an actress and contestant of the miss universe pageant was murdered on June 30, 1987 at the age of 21. She was in a relationship with actor Kamal Addararachchi at the time. The circumstances were suspicious enough that Addararachchi was charged with her murder, although he was acquitted of the crime.
In July 2012, Police undercover unit seized a brothel in Narahenpita and arrested few Thai women. It was reported that Addararachchi was present at the premises when the raid was conducted. Police said the actor had fled the location and they were now searching for him. Later, Addararachchi rejected the accusation as just a verbal attack to discredit him.
1995 - Sumathi Best Supporting Actor Award
1995 - Sumathi Most Popular Actor Award
1996 - Best Supporting Actor Presidential Award
2002 - Sarasaviya Best Actor Award
|1988||674||Gedara Budun Amma||Ruwan|
|1993||782||Saptha Kanya||Akhil Ruwanwalla|
|1998||895||Sathutai Kirula Ape||Shane|
|2002||976||Seethala Gini Kandu||Rohana|
|2002||978||Kalu Sudu Mal||Ravindra Kumara alias Dilip|
|2002||990||Salelu Warama||Suren Galappaththi|
|2004||1045||Randiya Dahara||Captain Samantha Weerasuriya|
|2005||1048||Asani Warsha||Sanjeeva Godakumbura|
|2005||1050||Guerilla Marketing||Thisara Dissanayake|
|2012||Light in the Yellow Breathing Space||short film|
|2014||1213||Thanha Rathi Ranga||Chandare|
|2015||1238||Address Na||Sathgunawath Pinsara|
|Songs By Kamal Addaraarachchi|
|1.||"Thun Sitha Dahan Gathawena"||04.34|
- Kamal Addararachchi - Profile
- "Sri Lankan Actor-Inmate Stages Play". The Washington Post. 1998-04-27. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- :: Daily Mirror - Opinion ::
- "Kamal Addararachchi". National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Kamal (Sinhala)
- "Kamal Addararachchi: Reflections on a Career". fragments. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "The tale of a gun". the Sunday Times. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Chat With Kamal addararachchi". gossip9lanka. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "S.C. (FR) Application No. 90/97 - Case of Kamal Addarachchi". Asian Legal Resource Center. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "Ramani Bartholomeusz'Story". Sri Lions. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "The Post-Mortem of Ramani Bartholomeusz". gossiplankanews. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Sri Lanka Cinema Database". National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Sagarayak Mada Sinhala Full Movie". lakchannel. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Paramitha Sinhala Film". sirisarafilms. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Kaliyugaya (1982)". imdb. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "GEDARA BUDUN AMMA-Full Sinhala Movie". sinhala-films-movies. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Paradeesaya, පාරාදීසය". cinema.lk. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Saptha Kanya Sinhala Film". sirisarafilms. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Maruthaya – Full Sinhala Movie". col4neg. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Awaragira". toranavideo. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Loku Duwa sinhala Film". sirisarafilms. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Bithu Sithuwam sinhala Film". sinhalafilms.tharunaya. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Maha Mera Usata sinhala film". sithma. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Bawa Karma - Sinhala Movie". movistar.lk. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Kinihiriya Mal sinhala film". rupatv.info. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "SEETHALA GINI KANDU SINHALA MOVIE". sinhalafilms.dutunudutu.com. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Kalu Sudu Mal sinhala film". sithma.com. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "18 years of Ecstasy". sundaytimes. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Agnidahaya". toranavideo. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Mille Soya Sinhala Film". sirisarafilms. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Randiya Dahara". sirisarafilms. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Wasantha Obeysekara - Asani Warsha - Sinhala Movie". lankachannel.us. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Going to Extremes". Sunday Observer. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Samara - Sinhala Chithrapatay". lkvideos. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Perfect paradox!". dailynews. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Light in the Yellow Breathing Space". Festival Scope. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Kamal is back with Colour". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "'Thanha Rathi Ranga' Road Movie entered State's film fest". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "'Address Nehe' A plot about people without address". sundaytimes. Retrieved 21 August 2016.