Kamal Patel (researcher)
|Occupation||Researcher, Nutrition Editor|
|Known for||Nutrition, Dietary supplements, Vitamin D guidelines|
Kamal Patel is a nutrition researcher and the director of Examine.com. Alongside co-founder Sol Orwell, he grew the Examine.com compendium of clinical trials on nutrition and supplements, with the goal of creating the “largest database” of supplements on the Internet.
Patel attended Northwestern University, studying economics and communications while also organizing strongman contests. He attended graduate school at Johns Hopkins University and Tufts University, studying public health, business, and nutrition.
Patel was a co-author on systematic reviews used to inform the Institute of Medicine 2010 vitamin D guidelines, which served as a basis for revised vitamin D guidelines in countries around the world. During that time, he was also a primary reviewer for Clinicaltrials.gov with a focus on clinical trial methodology.
Patel has also published research on genetic tests for cancer, prostate cancer treatments, fructose and liver health, self-measured monitoring of blood pressure for hypertension, and other clinical and methodological topics.
Patel has worked as a researcher at a federally-designated evidence-based practice center in meta-analysis and evidence synthesis and served as program chair for the 2013 Ancestral Health Symposium. He is a nutrition editor for the Journal of Evolution and Health.
Patel is the director of Examine.com, coordinating the team of researchers and scientists in analyzing primary research on nutrients and supplements. Under Patel, the website has expanded from a focus on supplements and athletic performance to direct analysis of research studies. In 2020, Patel was named #1 Most Influential Man in Health & Fitness by Men's Health UK.
- "About Examine.com". Examine.com. Examine. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Interview - Kurtis Frank and Sol Orwell of Examine.com". International Society of Sports Nutrition. Retrieved 15 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Strongest man competition tests strength, will". Dailynorthwestern.com. The Daily Northwestern. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Kamal Patel, Nutrition and Dietetics". ResearchGate.net. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- Robb Wolf. "Episode 351 – Kamal Patel – Examine.com and Analyzing Studies, Supplements, and Nutrition". Robbwolf.com (Podcast). Revolutionary Solutions to Modern Life. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "IOM Report Sets New Dietary Intake Levels for Calcium and Vitamin D to Maintain Health and Avoid Risks Associated With Excess". NationalAcademies.org. National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, National Research Council. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Pittas, AG; Chung, M; Trikalinos, T; Mitri, J; Brendel, M; Patel, K; Lichtenstein, AH; Lau, J; Balk, EM (2010). "Vitamin D and Cardiometabolic Outcomes: A Systematic Review". Ann. Intern. Med. 152 (5): 307–14. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-152-5-201003020-00009. PMC 3211092. PMID 20194237.
- "About Kamal Patel". Examine.com. Examine. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Raman, G; Wallace, B; Patel, K; Lau, J; Trikalinos, TA (2011). "Update on Horizon Scans of Genetic Tests Currently Available for Clinical Use in Cancers". PMID 26225397. Cite journal requires
- Ip, S; Dvorak, T; Yu, WW; Patel, K; Obadan, N; Chung, M; Bannuru, RR; Lau, J (2010). "Comparative Evaluation of Radiation Treatments for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer: an Update". PMID 25411663. Cite journal requires
- Chung, M; Ma, J; Patel, K; Berger, S; Lau, J; Lichtenstein, AH (2014). "Fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or indexes of liver health: a systematic review and meta-analysis". Am J Clin Nutr. 100 (3): 833–49. doi:10.3945/ajcn.114.086314. PMC 4135494. PMID 25099546.
- Uhlig, K; Patel, K; Kitsios, GD; Balk, EM (2013). "Self-measured blood pressure monitoring in the management of hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis". Annals of Internal Medicine. 159 (3): 185–94. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-159-3-201308060-00008. PMID 23922064. S2CID 207536827.
- "Patel K Author". PubMed.gov. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Vitamin D and Calcium: A Systematic Review of Health Outcomes" (PDF). Ahrq.gov. Tufts Evidence-based Practice Center, Boston, MA. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Videos, Bios, Abstracts, Schedules from the 2013 Ancestral Health Symposium". Ancestralhealth.org. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "AHS 13 Final Program" (PDF). Ancestralhealth.org. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Journal of Evolution and Health, an Ancestral Health Society Publication". Jevohealth.com. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Co-Founder of Examine.com". SignalTower.co. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Q&A: What Supplements Should I Take?". Men's Fitness. Retrieved 29 May 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Real Health Radio. "057: Interview with Kamal Patel". Robbwolf.com (Podcast). Real Health Radio. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- "26 Most Influential Men in Health & Fitness". Men's Health UK. No. 202010. London, England: Men's Health. September 2020. Archived from the original on December 2020. Retrieved 5 January 2021.