Kamal Patel (researcher)
|Occupation||Researcher, Nutrition Editor|
|Known for||Nutrition, Dietary supplements, Vitamin D guidelines|
Kamal Patel is a nutrition researcher and the director of Examine.com. Alongside co-founder Sol Orwell, he grew the Examine.com compendium of clinical trials on nutrition and supplements, with the goal of creating the “largest database” of supplements on the Internet.
Patel attended Northwestern University, studying economics and communications while also organizing strongman contests. He attended graduate school at Johns Hopkins University and Tufts University, studying public health, business, and nutrition.
Patel was a co-author on systematic reviews used to inform the Institute of Medicine 2010 vitamin D guidelines, which served as a basis for revised vitamin D guidelines in countries around the world. Patel has also published research on genetic tests for cancer, prostate cancer treatments, fructose and liver health, and other clinical and methodological topics.
Patel has worked as a researcher at a federally-designated evidence-based practice center in meta-analysis and evidence synthesis and served as program chair for the 2013 Ancestral Health Symposium. He is a nutrition editor for the Journal of Evolution and Health.
Patel is the director of Examine.com, coordinating the team of researchers and scientists in analyzing primary research on nutrients and supplements. Under Patel, the website has expanded from a focus on supplements and athletic performance to direct analysis of research studies.
- "About Examine.com". Examine.com. Examine. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Interview - Kurtis Frank and Sol Orwell of Examine.com". International Society of Sports Nutrition. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "Strongest man competition tests strength, will". Dailynorthwestern.com. The Daily Northwestern. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Kamal Patel, Nutrition and Dietetics". ResearchGate.net. ResearchGate. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- Robb Wolf. "Episode 351 – Kamal Patel – Examine.com and Analyzing Studies, Supplements, and Nutrition". Robbwolf.com (Podcast). Revolutionary Solutions to Modern Life. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "IOM Report Sets New Dietary Intake Levels for Calcium and Vitamin D to Maintain Health and Avoid Risks Associated With Excess". NationalAcademies.org. National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, National Research Council. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Pittas, AG; Chung, M; Trikalinos, T; Mitri, J; Brendel, M; Patel, K; Lichtenstein, AH; Lau, J; Balk, EM (2010). "Vitamin D and Cardiometabolic Outcomes: A Systematic Review". Ann. Intern. Med. 152: 307–14. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-152-5-201003020-00009. PMC . PMID 20194237.
- Raman, G; Wallace, B; Patel, K; Lau, J; Trikalinos, TA. "Update on Horizon Scans of Genetic Tests Currently Available for Clinical Use in Cancers". PMID 26225397.
- Ip, S; Dvorak, T; Yu, WW; Patel, K; Obadan, N; Chung, M; Bannuru, RR; Lau, J. "Comparative Evaluation of Radiation Treatments for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer: an Update". PMID 25411663.
- Chung, M; Ma, J; Patel, K; Berger, S; Lau, J; Lichtenstein, AH. "Fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or indexes of liver health: a systematic review and meta-analysis". Am J Clin Nutr. 100: 833–49. doi:10.3945/ajcn.114.086314. PMC . PMID 25099546.
- "Patel K Author". PubMed.gov. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Vitamin D and Calcium: A Systematic Review of Health Outcomes" (PDF). Ahrq.gov. Tufts Evidence-based Practice Center, Boston, MA. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Videos, Bios, Abstracts, Schedules from the 2013 Ancestral Health Symposium". Ancestralhealth.org. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "AHS 13 Final Program" (PDF). Ancestralhealth.org. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Journal of Evolution and Health, an Ancestral Health Society Publication". Jevohealth.com. Ancestral Health Society. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Co-Founder of Examine.com". SignalTower.co. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Q&A: What Supplements Should I Take?". Men's Fitness. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Real Health Radio. "057: Interview with Kamal Patel". Robbwolf.com (Podcast). Real Health Radio. Retrieved 27 January 2017.