|Look up kamala in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Kamala is a common Sanskrit name, usually meaning Nelumbo nucifera, the lotus. Variants include Kamal and Kamla. It is unrelated to the similar-sounding name of Arabic origin usually spelled Kamal in English and Kemal in Turkish, and to the similar European name Camilla.
- 1 Plants originally named Kamala in Asian Indian languages
- 2 Places and geographic features named Kamala
- 3 Deities called Kamala as a praise-name
- 4 People and groups whose names include Kamala as forename or sole name
- 5 People and groups with the surname Kamala and related variants
- 6 Fictional characters named Kamala
Plants originally named Kamala in Asian Indian languages
- Nelumbo nucifera, the lotus, a pond plant with leaves and flowers at the water's surface, called Kamala, Kamal, and related names.
- Mallotus philippensis, Kamala or Red Kamala, a plant in the spurge family, widespread through Asia and Australia.
Places and geographic features named Kamala
- The Kamala River flows through Nepal and the state of Bihar, India
- Kamala Subdistrict, Kathu district, Phuket province, Thailand
Deities called Kamala as a praise-name
- Kamalatmika or Kamla, a common epithet of Hindu goddess Lakshmi, sometimes simplistically ideogrammed as "goddess of wealth."
- Most Hindu deities are routinely praised in liturgical texts, prayers and chants for being kamal or kamala, lotus, or having lotus attributes such as beauty, purity, cleanliness. These deities include Shiva, Brahma, Shakti, Vishnu, Kali, and all their avatara.
People and groups whose names include Kamala as forename or sole name
- Amala and Kamala, Indian feral children who were purportedly raised by wolves
- Kamala (band), Finnish thrash metal musical band
- Kamala Harris, American prosecutor, former Attorney General of California and current United States Senator from California
- Kamala Nehru, wife of Indian Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Indo-Trinidadian, first female Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago
- Kamala Surayya, formerly known as Kamala Das, Indian short story writer and autobiographer in English and Malayalam languages, particularly concerning sexual desires of women
- Kamala (wrestler) or Jim Harris, American retired professional wrestler
- Kumari Kamala, Indian classical dancer
- Diodorus Buberwa Kamala, Tanzanian politician