Kamalesh Chandra Chakrabarty
Kamalesh Chandra Chakrabarty
|Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India|
15 June 2009 – 25 April 2014
|Born||27 June 1952|
|Education||Benaras Hindu University, Varanasi|
|Known for||Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India|
Kamalesh Chandra Chakrabarty or K.C. Chakrabarty, (born 27 June 1952) is an Indian Banker who served as one of the four Deputy Governors of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) (India's central bank) from 15 June 2009 to 20 March 2014, resigning three months ahead of the completion of his term. His current portfolio comprises Secretary's Department, Department of Banking Supervision, Financial Stability Unit, Human Resource Management Department, Rajbhasha Department, Department of Currency Management, Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation, Customer Service Department and the Rural Planning and Credit Department. He is also assigned coordination work.   .
Dr. Chakrabarty has outstanding academic credentials. He is a second rank holder in his bachelor's degree in science, first rank holder gold medalist in M.Sc statistics and has a doctorate in statistics from the Banaras Hindu University. He started his career in teaching and research at the same University he worked for 26 years in the Bank of Baroda and went on to become Chairman of the Indian Bank and then Punjab National Bank before being appointed as Deputy Governor.
The only son among six children to parents who migrated to India from East Pakistan after independence, Dr. Chakrabarty was Born in a Bengali Brahmin family in District Kandhmala in Orissa. He was later sent to Varanasi for education and completed most of his education in Uttar Pradesh, completing his graduation and post-graduation from Banaras Hindu University where he stood first in M.Sc., Statistics. He obtained his Ph.D. from the same University.
Chakrabarty began his professional career in teaching and research at the Banaras Hindu University where he taught for almost five years before joining Bank of Baroda where he worked for twenty six years reaching the position of General Manager.
- Chief Executive, United Kingdom operations, Bank of Baroda between 2001 and 2004
- Executive Director, Punjab National Bank in 2004
- Chairman & Managing Director, Indian Bank between 2005 and 2007
- Chairman & Managing Director, Punjab National Bank between 2007 and 2009
- Deputy Governor Reserve Bank of India from June 2009
Considered outspoken Dr. Chakrabarty is known for his contributions in the field of banking regulation and supervision, championing of rights of banks' customers, microfinance institutions, SMEs, restructuring of India's Regional Rural Banks  etc.
- "Govt notifies Chakrabarty's appointment at RBI". Livemint. 8 June 2009. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Business Line : Today's Paper News : Chakrabarty to be RBI Dy Governor". The Hindu Business Line. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Reserve Bank of India". Rbi.org.in. 3 December 2004. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Crabtree, James (31 August 2012). "India's banks face balance sheet decline". FT.com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Kumar, Anand (24 December 2012). "Industrial houses to get banking licence". Dawn.Com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Our Bureau (17 October 2012). "Business Line : Industry & Economy / Banking : K.C. Chakrabarty to head the financial inclusion panel". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- PTI Oct 15, 2012, 11.17PM IST (15 October 2012). "PSL norms for foreign banks: K C Chakrabarty dismisses criticism – Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Business Standard (8 June 2012). "K C Chakrabarty may get 2-yr extension as RBI dy governor". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Sangita Mehta, ET Bureau Jun 20, 2012, 04.13AM IST (20 June 2012). "KC Chakrabarty: Regulator with a sense of humour – Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 14 January 2013.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Business Line : Today's Paper / MONEY & BANKING : K.C. Chakrabarty appointed RBI Deputy Governor". The Hindu Business Line. 7 June 2009. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Apex bank to finalise report on sick units soon". Financialexpress.com. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "RBI's Chakrabarty discusses increasing financial inclusion". Central Banking. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Analysis". Orfonline.org. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2013.