|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
Kamarhati Municipal Office on B T Road
|• Municipality Chairman||GOPAL SAHA|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 33|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Dum Dum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kamarhati, Baranagar|
Kamarhati (Bengali: কামারহাটী) is a city and a municipality under Belghoria police station of Barrackpore subdivision in Kolkata in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority.
Kamarhati is located at Kolkata. It is an assembly constituency of West Bengal Legislative Assembly. The sacred temple of Dakshineshwar is situated in Kamarhati Municipal area. Towns like Belghoria, Ariadaha, Sodepur and many more are a part of this area. The Kamarhati Municipality is located in Rathtala., a part of the urban agglomeration of the metro of
As of 2001[update] India census, Kamarhati had a population of 314,334. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Kamarhati has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 72%. In Kamarhati, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
North 24 Parganas district has been identified as one of the areas where ground water is affected by arsenic contamination. The Sagar Dutta Memorial Medical College and Hospital is an fast upcoming government medical college and hospital in Kamarhati. This Medical College will become the main referral centre for the neighbouring Districts of North Kolkata in future .
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamarhati.|
- Kamarhati Municipality
- District-wise list of statutory towns
- "Base Map of Kolkata Metropolitan area". Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (19 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- Kolkata/Northern fringes travel guide from Wikivoyage