May 11, 1987
|Other names||The Nigerian Nightmare|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.|
|Team||Blackzilians (2011–2017) |
Sanford MMA (2017–2020)
Onx Sports (2020–present)
|Trainer||Jorge Santiago (grappling) |
Trevor Wittman (striking)
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Jorge Santiago|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division II Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Kamarudeen "Kamaru" Usman (born May 11, 1987) is a Nigerian-American professional mixed martial artist, former freestyle wrestler and graduated folkstyle wrestler. He currently competes in the welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), where he is the reigning UFC Welterweight Champion. Usman was also The Ultimate Fighter 21 tournament winner. As of March 23, 2021 he is #2 in the UFC men's pound-for-pound rankings.
As a wrestler, Usman primarily competed at 84 kilograms, and was the 2010 US University World Team Member. Collegiately, he competed at 174 pounds, and was the 2010 NCAA Division II National champion, a three–time NCAA DII All-American and a NAIA National qualifier.
Usman was born in Auchi, Nigeria. His father was a major in the Nigerian Army and his mother was a teacher. He has two brothers, Kashetu and Mohammed, of whom the former is a Doctor of Pharmacy and the latter is a mixed martial artist. Growing up with his mother and two brothers in Benin City, Usman struggled with the conditions in his environment during his childhood. Usman's father Muhammed Nasiru Usman, who became a pharmacist in the United States, brought his family into the country when Usman was eight years old, immigrating to Dallas, Texas.
Usman started wrestling in his sophomore year in high school, at Bowie High School in Arlington, Texas. Because Usman's wrestling coach at the time had trouble pronouncing his first name Kamarudeen, he got the nickname "Marty" when he joined the team and it stuck with him during his amateur wrestling career. After compiling a 53–3 record in high school wrestling and placing third at the Texas state championships, Usman wrestled alongside Jon Jones at the senior national tournament before leaving for college.
In college, Usman wrestled in Iowa at William Penn University for one year, where he was an NAIA national tournament qualifier in 2007, but was unable to attend the tournament due to a snowstorm; half of his team and his head coach, however, had left early for the tournament without him, which frustrated Usman and influenced him to leave William Penn. He later transferred to the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), which had previously tried to recruit him under advisement of then-UNK wrestler Tervel Dlagnev, and subsequently helped the Lopers win their first-ever team title in 2008. Usman placed top 3 in the nation all three years he attended UNK and was a two-time national finalist. He became the NCAA Division II national champion at 174 pounds in 2010, finishing the season with a 44–1 record and 30 straight wins.
Shortly after his folkstyle career was over, Usman turned his attention to freestyle wrestling and became a resident of the United States Olympic Training Center, with hopes of making the 2012 Olympic team. Despite making the US University World Team in 2010, Usman was sidetracked by injuries and eventually abandoned his Olympic goal after failing to qualify for the '12 US Olympic Team Trials, turning his attention to mixed martial arts instead. Former National Football League (NFL) star Christian Okoye, who has the nickname "The Nigerian Nightmare" trademarked, gave his blessing for Usman to use it.
Mixed martial arts career
Professional MMA career
On 2011, Usman served as the wrestling coach for Team Miller in The Ultimate Fighter season fourteen. After failing to qualify for the '12 US Olympic Team Trials in freestyle wrestling, Usman made his professional MMA debut in November 2012. He compiled a record of 5–1, competing for several regional promotions before trying out for The Ultimate Fighter in early 2015.
The Ultimate Fighter
In the finals, Usman faced Hayder Hassan on July 12, 2015, at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale. He won the bout via submission in the second round, thus winning a six-figure contract with the UFC. He was also awarded the Performance of the Night award.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Usman was expected to face two-time Jiu–Jitsu World Champion Sérgio Moraes on May 14, 2016, at UFC 198. However, it was announced on May 1 that Usman had pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by promotional newcomer Luan Chagas.
A rescheduled bout with a Sérgio Moraes on a seven-match unbeaten streak eventually took place on September 16, 2017, at UFC Fight Night 116. Usman won the fight via one-punch knockout in the first round.
Usman was scheduled to face Venator FC Welterweight Champion Emil Weber Meek on December 30, 2017, at UFC 219, however, Meek presented VISA problems and the pair was rescheduled for UFC Fight Night 124. Usman won the fight by unanimous decision after out-wrestling his opponent.
Usman was expected to face Santiago Ponzinibbio on May 19, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 129. However, on April 21, Ponzinibbio was pulled from the card due to injury and replaced by ADCC Grappling World Champion and two-time UFC title challenger Demian Maia. After denying all of Maia's fifteen attempts of takedowns and out-performing his opponent on the feet, Usman won the fight via unanimous decision.
Usman faced former UFC Lightweight Champion Rafael dos Anjos on November 30, 2018, at The Ultimate Fighter 28 Finale. He won the fight via unanimous decision. This win earned him his second Performance of the Night award.
UFC Welterweight Champion
Riding a nine-fight winning streak in the UFC, Usman next faced UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley on March 2, 2019, in the co-main event at UFC 235. He won the one-sided fight via unanimous decision after dominating his opponent for five rounds to be crowned as the new UFC Welterweight Champion.
Usman made his first title defense and faced long-time rival Colby Covington at UFC 245 on December 14, 2019. Despite both athletes being mostly offensive wrestlers, the fight did not include any grappling and contained high-paced offense in the striking instead. After an often referred to as "slugfest", Usman was able to knockdown his opponent twice before finishing him with strikes in the fifth round to be declared the winner via technical knockout, which set the record for the latest finish in UFC welterweight history. This fight earned both participants the Fight of the Night award.
Usman was scheduled to defend his title for the second time against long-time teammate and two-time No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu World Champion Gilbert Burns on July 12, 2020 at UFC 251. Both being originally from the same camp – Sanford MMA – Usman opted to train under Trevor Wittman heading into the fight. On July 3, 2020, it was revealed that Burns tested positive for COVID-19, and he was subsequently removed from the card. On July 5, 2020, it was reported that Jorge Masvidal had stepped in on short notice and served as a replacement for Burns. Usman controlled most of the uneventful fight by keeping Masvidal in the clinch, winning via unanimous decision. The card reportedly generated 1.3 million pay-per-view buys in the United States, the most since UFC 229 in October 2018.
Usman was once again scheduled to defend his title against BJJ World Champion Gilbert Burns, on December 12, 2020 at UFC 256. However, on October 5, 2020, It was reported that Usman had pulled out from the bout, citing more time needed to recover from undisclosed injuries and the bout was postponed for February 13, 2021, as the headliner for UFC 258. Usman defended his title for the third time, as he won the fight via technical knockout in the third round, surpassing the record of the former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre for the largest win-streak in the division with thirteen. This win earned him the Performance of the Night award.
For his fifth title bout, Usman rematched against Jorge Masvidal for the UFC Welterweight Championship on April 24, 2021 at UFC 261 in Florida. He successfully defended his title after knocking out Masvidal in the second round, becoming the first one to do so in the UFC. This win earned Usman his fourth Performance of the Night bonus award.
Kamaru and his wife have a daughter, Samirah (born 2014). His father, Muhammed Nasiru Usman, who had previous convictions in Tarrant County for theft and drunk driving, was convicted in May 2010 of various offenses, including health care fraud and money laundering, related to a health care fraud scheme. He was sentenced to fifteen years' imprisonment and ordered to pay $1,300,000 in restitution, and was released from FCI Seagoville on March 16, 2021.
Championships and accomplishments
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
- University Interscholastic League
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- UFC Welterweight Championship (One time, current)
- Four successful title defenses
- First Nigerian-born UFC champion
- The Ultimate Fighter 21 tournament winner
- Performance of the Night (Four times) vs. Hayder Hassan, Rafael dos Anjos, Gilbert Burns, and Jorge Masvidal
- Fight of the Night (One time) vs. Colby Covington
- Latest finish in UFC Welterweight history vs. Colby Covington
- Latest knockout in UFC title fight history vs. Colby Covington
- Most consecutive wins in welterweight division (14)
- UFC Welterweight Championship (One time, current)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||19 wins||1 loss|
|Win||19–1||Jorge Masvidal||KO (punch)||UFC 261||April 24, 2021||2||1:02||Jacksonville, Florida, United States||Defended the UFC Welterweight Championship. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||18–1||Gilbert Burns||TKO (punches)||UFC 258||February 13, 2021||3||0:34||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended the UFC Welterweight Championship. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–1||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 251||July 12, 2020||5||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Defended the UFC Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||16–1||Colby Covington||TKO (punches)||UFC 245||December 14, 2019||5||4:10||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended the UFC Welterweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–1||Tyron Woodley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 235||March 2, 2019||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won the UFC Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||14–1||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavy Hitters Finale||November 30, 2018||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Demian Maia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Usman||May 19, 2018||5||5:00||Santiago, Chile|
|Win||12–1||Emil Weber Meek||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Stephens vs. Choi||January 14, 2018||3||5:00||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Win||11–1||Sérgio Moraes||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch||September 16, 2017||1||2:48||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–1||Sean Strickland||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||5:00||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Win||9–1||Warlley Alves||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. Nogueira 2||November 19, 2016||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–1||Alexander Yakovlev||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko||July 23, 2016||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Yakovlev was deducted one point in round 1 for grabbing the cage.|
|Win||7–1||Leon Edwards||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: dos Anjos vs. Cowboy 2||December 19, 2015||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–1||Hayder Hassan||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians Finale||July 12, 2015||2||1:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 21 Welterweight Tournament. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||5–1||Marcus Hicks||TKO (punches)||Legacy FC 33||July 18, 2014||2||5:00||Allen, Texas, United States|
|Win||4–1||Lenny Lovoto||TKO (punches)||Legacy FC 30||April 4, 2014||3||1:04||New Mexico, United States|
|Win||3–1||Steven Rodriguez||TKO (punches)||Legacy FC 27||January 31, 2014||1||1:31||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–1||Rashid Abdullah||TKO (punches)||VFC 41||December 14, 2013||1||3:49||Ralston, Nebraska, United States||Catchweight (180 lb) bout.|
|Loss||1–1||Jose Caceres||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CFA 11||May 24, 2013||1||3:47||Coral Gables, Florida, United States|
|Win||1–0||David Glover||TKO (punches)||RFA 5||November 30, 2012||2||4:50||Kearney, Nebraska, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||2 wins||0 losses|
|Win||2–0||Steve Carl||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians||June 17, 2015 (airdate)||2||5:00||Coconut Creek, Florida, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 21 semifinals round.|
|Win||1–0||Michael Graves||Decision (majority)||April 22, 2015 (airdate)||2||5:00||The Ultimate Fighter 21 quarterfinals round.|
|UFC 251||Usman vs. Masvidal||12 July 2020||Flash Forum||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||1,300,000|
|UFC 261||Usman vs. Masvidal 2||24 April 2021||VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena||Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.||700,000|
- "Kamaru Usman". UFC. Retrieved June 6, 2021.
- Ollie Carlson (December 13, 2019). "Hard Knocks 365 rebrands to Sanford MMA with sponsorship from Sanford Health". thebodylockmma.com.
- E. Spencer Kyte (January 1, 2021). "Champion Check-In: Kamaru Usman's Patient Dominance". Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- Brett Okamoto (June 24, 2020). "Kamaru Usman changes camp ahead of title defense vs. Gilbert Burns". espn.com.
- @marc_raimondi (March 8, 2019). "'New UFC champ Kamaru Usman has been awarded his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt by longtime coach @SantiagoMMA (...)'" (Tweet). Retrieved June 1, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Guy Portman (November 29, 2018). "5 Things You Might Not Know About Kamaru Usman". Sherdog.com.
- "UFC Rankings". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- "Interview with RFA fighter, NCAA wrestling champ, and TUF 14 coach Kamaru "Marty" Usman". On The Mat | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, News, Gear and Kimonos. November 30, 2012. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- "Kamarudeen (Marty) Usman – Wrestling". University of Nebraska – Kearney Athletics. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- Sports, N. T. V. (2020-07-07). "Kamaru Usman represents UNK at UFC level". KHGI. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- Fight Night Santiago: Kamaru Usman – Made in Nigeria, retrieved 2019-10-06
- Harris, Scott. "A Morality Play for Our Time: Usman vs. Covington Is More Than Mere Grudge Match". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2020-04-03.
- JRE MMA Show #59 with Kamaru Usman, retrieved July 11, 2020
- "Usman Knew Greatness Awaited Him | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-04-26.
- Nolan King (December 12, 2019). "Rising from humble beginnings, Kamaru Usman has inspired brother Mohammed". mmajunkie.com.
- "How UFC 235's Kamaru Usman overcame adversity as a Nigerian immigrant who is closing in on The American Dream". www.sportingnews.com. Retrieved 2021-02-13.
- "Being the backup fighter: Inside Kamaru Usman's UFC 228 weight cut". ESPN.com. 2018-09-12. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- "Kamarudeen Usman – Wrestling". University of Nebraska – Kearney Athletics.
- JRE MMA Show #59 with Kamaru Usman, retrieved 2019-10-06
- "Kamaru Usman: Building The Beast (Feat. Jon Jones, Rashad Evans, Mom & Dad)". www.flocombat.com. Archived from the original on 2019-03-06. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Gray, Timothy (July 10, 2020). "Recalling Kamaru Usman's time with the UNK wrestling team ahead of his main event at UFC Fight Island". Lincoln Journal-Star. Lincoln, Nebraska. Retrieved July 11, 2020.
- "Match of the Day". Team USA. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "2010 Div II Wrestling Championships Brackets" (PDF). National Wrestling Coaches Association. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "The Nigerian Nightmare's Golden Dream | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- "Match of the Day: Kamaru Usman and Pat Downey wrestle at the 2011 Olympic Team Trials Qualifier". Team USA. July 10, 2020.
- "Kamaru Usman's Code". Muscle & Fitness. 2020-01-20. Retrieved 2020-12-08.
- "Interview with RFA fighter, NCAA wrestling champ, and TUF 14 coach Usman". On The Mat. 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- Bembry, Jerry (2019-03-01). "Kamaru Usman on Tyron Woodley: 'I will push all the right buttons until I break him'". The Undefeated. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "'Ecstatic' Mayhem names TUF coaching staff – The Underground". www.mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved 2021-02-13.
- "Fate and the Journey of Kamaru Usman | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-02-13.
- "Kamaru 'The Nigerian Nightmare' Usman MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-02-28). "TUF 21 features American Top Team vs. Blackzilians with $500K on the line". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- Mike Bohn (2015-04-22). "Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- Mike Bohn (2015-06-17). "Episode No. 9 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Dana Becker (2015-07-09). "The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale card all set, Four TUF Fighters in action". fightline.com. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- Matt Erickson (2015-07-12). "TUF 21 Finale results: Kamaru Usman taps Hayder Hassan to win 'TUF 21' crown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Mike Sloan (2015-07-12). "'TUF 21' Finale Bonuses: Thompson, Usman, Masvidal, Samman nab $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Staff (2015-09-01). "Leon Edwards vs. Kamaru Usman added to UFC on FOX 17 in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- John Morgan (2015-12-19). "UFC on FOX 17 results: Kamaru Usman grinds out Leon Edwards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-03-01). "Sergio Moraes vs. Kamaru Usman added to UFC event in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- Staff (2016-05-01). "Kamaru Usman out of UFC 198 bout with Sergio Moraes". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- Chris Sosa (2016-06-03). "'Nigerian Nightmare' lands spot for UFC event at United Center". redeyechicago.com. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-07-23). "UFC on FOX 20 results: Kamaru Usman dominates Alexander Yakovlev in grappling heavy affair". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-10-04). "UFC Fight Night 100 gets Warlley Alves vs. Kamaru Usman". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-11-19). "UFC Fight Night 100 results: Kamaru Usman dominates Warlley Alves for wide decision win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Staff (2017-02-14). "Sean Strickland vs. Kamaru Usman added to UFC 210 in Buffalo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-08). "UFC 210 results: Kamaru Usman dominates Sean Strickland, still perfect in UFC". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- David Tees (2017-07-23). "Multiple fights added To UFC Fight Night: Pittsburgh". fansided.com. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "UFC–Pittsburgh results: Kamaru Usman right hand proves problematic for Sergio Moraes". MMAjunkie. 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- DNA, MMA. "TUF 21 winnaar Kamaru Usman treft 'Valhalla Army' tijdens UFC 219". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-20.
- Staff (2017-12-14). "Kamaru Usman vs. Emil Meek rescheduled for UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "UFC Fight Night 124 results: Kamaru Usman outwrestles Emil Meek to stay perfect in UFC". MMA Junkie. 2018-01-15. Retrieved 2021-02-13.
- Ariel Helwani (2018-03-23). "Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Kamaru Usman scheduled for UFC Chile main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "UFC Chile main, co-main events fall apart with Santiago Ponzinibbio, Volkan Oezdemir out". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-22. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- Raphael Marinho (2018-04-26). "Ultimate announces Demian Maia as substitute for Ponzinibbio at UFC Chile" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- "UFC Fight Night 129 results: Kamaru Usman denies Demian Maia takedowns, cruises to decision win". MMAjunkie. 2018-05-20. Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- Carroll, Peter (2018-08-18). "Kamaru Usman to serve as official backup for UFC 228 main event, 'dreamt' this is how he becomes champion". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-02-13.
- Raphael Marinho (2018-09-12). "UFC plans Dos Anjos vs. Kamaru Usman as TUF 28 Finale Main Fight" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "TUF 28 Finale results: Kamaru Usman relentless, stakes title claim with shutdown of Rafael dos Anjos". MMAjunkie. 2018-12-01. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "TUF 28 Finale Bonuses! Benavidez's TKO Leads $50K Winners". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Tristen Critchfield (2019-01-06). "Tyron Woodley, Kamaru Usman to clash for welterweight championship at UFC 235". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-01-07.
- "UFC 235 results: Kamaru Usman blanks Tyron Woodley, takes belt in one-sided affair". MMA Junkie. 2019-03-03. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Kamaru Usman to face Colby Covington at UFC 245". MMAFighting.com. September 27, 2019. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- Gallo, Ed (2019-12-10). "UFC 245 wrestling breakdown: Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2020-11-27.
- "Colby Covington on why he didn't wrestle Kamaru Usman: 'I was beating him up so easily standing'". MMA Junkie. 2020-02-20. Retrieved 2020-11-27.
- "Usman silences Covington with 5th-round TKO". ESPN.com. 2019-12-15. Retrieved 2020-11-27.
- Harris, Scott. "Kamaru Usman Silences Colby Covington and Becomes Welterweight King at UFC 245". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2020-11-27.
- Fernando Quiles Jr. (2019-12-15). "UFC 245 Bonuses, Live Gate, & Attendance Revealed". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- Farah Hannoun (June 9, 2020). "Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns headlines UFC 251 on 'Fight Island' in Abu Dhabi". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved June 9, 2020.
- "Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, out of UFC 251 headliner vs. Kamaru Usman". MMA Junkie. 2020-07-04. Retrieved 2020-07-04.
- "Kamaru Usman opens as 3–1 favorite in UFC 251 title defense vs. Jorge Masvidal". MMA Junkie. 2020-07-05. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- Martin, Damon (2020-07-12). "Kamaru Usman dominates Jorge Masvidal with suffocating performance in UFC 251 main event". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2020-07-12.
- Mike Coppinger (2020-07-13). "Sources: UFC 251 generates around 1.3 million PPV buys, most since 2018". theathletic.com. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns Set For UFC 256, Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz 2 In The Works". MMA News. 2020-09-01. Retrieved 2020-09-02.
- "Sources: Usman-Burns fight on Dec. 12 is off". ESPN.com. 2020-10-05. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- Newswire, MMA Fighting (2021-02-13). "UFC 258 Results: Usman vs. Burns". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "Max Holloway, Francis Ngannou and Other UFC Stars React to Kamaru Usman's Third Round TKO Win Over Gilbert Burns". EssentiallySports. 2021-02-14. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "UFC 258 Bonuses: Usman Among Fighters To Nab Performance Checks". MMA News. 2021-02-14. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "UFC 261 heads to Florida with Usman-Masvidal 2 leading three title fights in front of full crowd". MMA Junkie. 2021-03-16. Retrieved 2021-03-16.
- Doherty, Dan (2021-04-25). "UFC 261 Results: Kamaru Usman Knocks Jorge Masvidal Out Cold". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-04-25.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2021-04-25). "UFC 261 bonuses: Kamaru Usman, Rose Namajunas rewarded for championship knockouts". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-04-25.
- DNA, MMA (2021-07-26). "Rematch tussen Kamaru Usman en Colby Covington geboekt als Main Event voor UFC 268". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
- @USMAN84kg (July 29, 2018). "My little princess is 4 years old today Smiling face with heart-shaped eyes 👼🏽. Woooow where did 4 years go!!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- United States of America v. Muhammed Usman United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (May 2016)
- Local Ambulance Company Owner Sentenced to 15 Years in Federal Prison and Ordered to Pay $1.3 Million in Restitution for Running Health Care Fraud Scheme justice.gov (October 13, 2013)
- Fight Island – The inside story of Kamaru Usman, his father and a Texas prison Brett Okamoto, espn.co.uk (11 June 2020)
- Federal inmate locator Federal Bureau of Prisons
- "2007 NAIA Wrestling National Championship Qualifiers". NAIA. 2007-02-21. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- "2005 Wrestling Champions 145 Weight Class – UIL" (PDF). UIL Texas.
- Mike Sloan (2015-07-12). "'TUF 21' Finale Bonuses: Thompson, Usman, Masvidal, Samman nab $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Mike Bohn (February 14, 2021). "UFC 258 post-event facts: Kamaru Usman's resume hits legendary status". MMAjunkie.com.
- "MMA Junkie's 'Fight of the Month' for December: A slugfest between wrestlers". mmajunkie.com. January 3, 2020.
- "MMA Junkie's 'Fight of the Month' for February: Former teammates fight for gold". MMAjunkie.com. March 3, 2021.
- Mike Bohn (May 2, 2021). "MMA Junkie's 'Knockout of the Month' for April: A satisfying end to a rematch". MMAjunkie.com.
- Sherdog.com. "Kamaru". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Alexander, Mookie. "Report: UFC 261 generated over 700,000 domestic pay-per-view buys". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 28 April 2021.