KAMAZ-63968 Typhoon-K MRAP vehicle
|Place of origin||Russian Federation|
|Used by||Russian Armed Forces|
|Transmission||YaMZ 8 gears automatic|
|Ground clearance||185 to 575 mm|
|1,200 km (750 mi)|
|Speed||105 km/h (65 mph)|
Kamaz Typhoon (Russian: Камаз-63968 Тайфун) is a family of Russian multi-functional, modular, armoured, mine resistant MRAP vehicles. The Typhoon family is part of Russia's Typhoon program. As of June 2018, the number of Typhoons in the Russian Armed Forces fleet is about 290 units of Typhoon-K.
The development of the "Typhoon" vehicle family began in 2010, when Minister of Russian Federation Armed Forces approved the "Development of Russian Federation Armed Forces military vehicles for the period until 2020" program and started the Typhoon MRAP program. In 2012 the first contract between Russian Ministry of Armed Forces and Kamaz to buy Typhoons was signed.
Reservations made in accordance with NATO classification STANAG 4569 of level 3b, in which the vehicle can withstand undermining by high-explosive devices weighing 8 kg of TNT under any car seat, as the Russian machine of this kind are made public for the first time and generally accepted standards for the classification of explosions absent. Bulletproof protection corresponds to the fourth level. Combined set of ceramics and steel armor, which protects against armor-piercing bullets of caliber 14,5 × 114 mm. Includes 128,5-129,0 mm thick bulletproof glass with a transparency of 70%, developed by the "Magistral Ltd" and tested at the Research Institute of Steel, withstanding 2 shots spaced at 280–300 mm in the shelling of KPVT with speed of bullet 911 m / s at the instant of contact with the glass. Bulletproof exceed the highest demands on available GOST (GOST R 51136 and GOST R 50963), in which the highest level - a fire of armor-piercing bullets B-32, 7,62 × 54 mm from the SVD. During the production, Magistral LTD focused on western standards level IV STANAG 4569 - guaranteed protection in the shelling of armor-piercing ammunition B-32, 14,5 × 114 mm from a distance of 200 m with a bullet velocity 891–931 m / s. Reservations withstand hit of 30-mm ammunition. There are bullet-proof tires 16.00R20 with explosion inserts diverting the blast wave, with automatic pumping of air and controlled pressure to 4.5 atmospheres. Provided loopholes for firing from small arms, remotely controlled machine gun. Unification with other family cars is 86%.
Seats are equipped with personal weapons holders, seat belts and head restraints. They are attached to the roof module, to reduce the impact of stroke of mines / bombs. Inside the module is installed set for filtering FVUA-100A and air conditioning. On the roof there are escape hatches in case the vehicle rolls over. Dropping made through the ramp at the stern of machine or through a side door.
Surveillance and communication
In the car the Combat Information and Control System (CICS) GALS-D1M to monitor and control the operation of the engine, calculating machines roll, tilt, road speed, location, etc. The independent hydropneumatic suspension allows the driver to change the ride height on the road, using remote control within 400 mm. KAMAZ-63968 is equipped with five cameras for review the troop unit and cockpit. Cabin is equipped with folding displays, showing how the state of the car is, and an external review.
Technical specifications and performance
- Crew: Depends on configuration, up to 16.
- Axles: 6×6, two front axles, rear one is subject to the normal weight distribution of machine (cab is very heavy).
- Length: 899 cm (29 ft 6 in) 
- Width: 255 cm (8 ft 4 in) 
- cab: 312 cm (10 ft 3 in)
- body/fuselage: 330 cm (10 ft 10 in)
- Wheelbase: n/a
- Ground clearance: Adjustable
- Turning radius: less than 10 m (33 ft)
- Lifting angle: 23-30° 
- Wheel rotation angle: 39°
- Tires - 16.00R20, with special Run-flat tire with inserts diverting the blast wave, using an automatic tire inflation pressure level and the change in the tire (1 to 4.5 atm) depending on the road surface.
- Curb weight: 21 tons, gross weight - 24 tons
- Maximum speed, km/h: 105 km/h (65 mph)
- Cruising range: 1,200 km (750 mi)
- Fuel consumption per 100 km: less than 35 L (9.2 US gal)
Kamaz 5388 - 4x4 Armoured chassis cab
Kamaz 5388 - 4x4 Armoured personnel carrier
Kamaz 53888 - 4x4 Armoured cargo vehicle
Kamaz 6396 - 6x6 Armoured chassis cab
Kamaz 6396 - 6x6 Armoured cargo vehicle
Kamaz 63968 - 6x6 Armoured personnel carrier
Kamaz 6398 - 8x8 Armoured chassis cab
Kamaz 6398 - 8x8 Armoured cargo vehicle
Kamaz 63988 - 8x8 Armoured personnel carrier
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KamAZ-63968.|
- "Стальной "Тайфун" для армии. Спецназ испытал новые бронеавтомобили". 26 May 2017.
- "9 Мая на Красной площади пройдут "ТАЙФУНЫ" // KP.RU". kp.ru. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "ЦАМТО / Новости / Спецназ ЦВО получил 16 бронеавтомобилей «Тайфун-К»". www.armstrade.org.
- "ЦАМТО / Новости / В соединение спецназа ЦВО в Новосибирской области поступили новые бронеавтомобили «Тайфун»". www.armstrade.org.
- "На Параде Победы покажут "убийцу танков", "Тайфун" и новейший "Тор"". gudok.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "КАМАЗ "Тайфун" - Денис Мокрушин". twower.livejournal.com. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Specifications of КамАЗ Тайфун". autowp.ru. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "TOMSK.FM :: Военные автомобили Камаз-Тайфун,Выстрел и Тигр". tomsk.fm. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "КАМАЗ Тайфун - Блог о грузовиках - Автозапчасти КАМАЗ, МАЗ и для грузовых иномарок". kamazkazan.ru. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Image: s14471782.jpg, (500 × 353 px)". dokwar.ru. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 May 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)