Kamchatkan rainbow trout
|Kamchatkan rainbow trout|
O. m. mykiss
|Oncorhynchus mykiss mykiss|
The Kamchatkan rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss mykiss) is a subspecies of the rainbow trout, which is a fish in the Salmonidae family. It is native to Russian Far East. Its main range is on the Kamchatka Peninsula, and it has also been recorded from the Commander Islands east of Kamchatka, and sporadically in the Sea of Okhotsk, as far south as the mouth of the Amur River.
Sea-run and freshwater ecotypes
The Kamchatkan rainbow trout ("mikizha") comprises various ecological forms, including anadromous and resident freshwater forms and their intermediates. Russian taxonomy has long attributed the rainbow trout to the genus Parasalmo, and has further considered the Kamchatkan rainbow trout as composed of two distinct species, Parasalmo mykiss and Parasalmo penshinensis, whose ranges overlap. P. mykiss is a resident freshwater and estuary form, whereas P. penshinensis, "Kamchatkan salmon", is the sea-run, migrating anadromous form, which may grow to a length of 100 cm and 11–12 kg weight (as with the American steelhead). P. penshinensis is considered critically endangered (CR) in the Red Book of Kamchatka. Modern research however suggests that the two forms represent the same species, showing no genetic isolation or differences.
- "ITIS Standard Report Page: Oncorhynchus mykiss mykiss". ITIS. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- David Starr Jordan; Barton Warren Evermann; Howard Walton Clark (1930). Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year 1928-Checklist of the fishes and fishlike vertebrates of North America north of the northern boundary of Venezuela and Colombia. Washington, D.C.: United States Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service.
- "Kamchatka Rainbow Trout Fishing". Anglers Passport. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- Behnke, Robert J. (2002). Trout and Salmon of North America. New York: The Free Press. ISBN 978-0-7432-2220-4.
- Микижа и … или камчатская семга? www.nexplorer.ru:news
- S. D. Pavlov, A. V. Semenova, G. A. Rubtsova,K. I. Afanasiev (2011) Analysis of microsatellite variation in the rainbow trout Parasalmo (Oncorhynchus) mykiss from Kamchatka Russian Journal of Genetics 47, 1198-1208.
- Красная книга Камчатки. Том 1. Животные (Red Book of Kamchatka)
- Parasalmo penshinensis (Pallas, 1814) - камчатская семга Позвоночные животные России sevin.ru
|This Salmonidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|