|Kamembe International Airport|
Kamembe airport terminal seen from the runway, 2017
|Operator||Rwanda Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||1,491 m / 4,891 ft|
Kamembe International Airport is an airport for Cyangugu and Kamembe in Rwanda (IATA: KME, ICAO: HRZA). RwandAir had operated a Dash 8-Q400 with nine flights per week to and from Kigali, but has currently suspended service until runway resurfacing is completed. The airport receives charter flights from Tanzania, Uganda and Democratic Republic of the Congo, though not on a regular schedule.
During the Rwandan Civil War, Kamembe airport was suggested as a site for transiting French arms to the interim government after April 1994.
The airport terminal building was heavily damaged by a 2008 earthquake, and early in 2010 the Rwanda government announced that Kamembe Airport would be modernized. By the end of 2012 a new terminal was completed, a new control tower was opened, and Techno Sky, a branch of the Italian publicly owned ENAV corporation, had installed new navigation systems.
During a May 2013 visit, Infrastructure Minister Albert Nsengiyumva announced that the runway would be widened and lengthened from 1.5 kilometres to 2.2 kilometres by 2014-2015. The airport re-opened in June 2015 and RwandAir began scheduled flights from the airport.
Airlines and destinations
- Airport information for HRZA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- RwandAir Flight Schedules, 2015. Accessed 19 March 2015.
- Gérard Rugambwa, L'aéroport de Kamembe va être réhabilité ("Kamembe Airport to be rehabilitated"), 7 June 2010 (archived link). Accessed 19 March 2015.
- Techno Sky (Italy) wins a contract with the Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority, 11 June 2012. Accessed 19 March 2015.
- "Rehabilitation works at Kamembe Airport are completed and plans of extending Landing site to 2 kilometres length by 2015 are in place to increase the capacity of handling many planes at the same time"
- Thome, Wolfgang (15 June 2015). "Kamembe Airport ready to open new runway". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
|This Rwanda location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an airport in Rwanda is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|