Kamen Rider Double (character)
Kamen Rider Double (仮面ライダーダブル Kamen Raidā Daburu?) is a fictional superhero who serves as the primary and eponymous protagonist of the Japanese television series 2009–2010 Kamen Rider Series Kamen Rider W. Kamen Rider Double's name is taken from the English word double as he is the first Kamen Rider that requires two people to transform, and his motif is that of the letter W. His debut was a cameo in the film Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker where he faces off against Shadow Moon.
- 1 Shotaro Hidari
- 2 Philip
- 3 Kamen Rider Double
- 4 Equipment
- 5 References
- 6 See also
Shotaro Hidari (左 翔太郎 Hidari Shōtarō?, portrayed by Renn Kiriyama) is a self-proclaimed "hardboiled detective", though considered "halfboiled" by all others around him to his chagrin. He constantly tries to act cool, but given his caring, extroverted and talkative nature, he appears most of the time to be a klutz instead. Unlike his mentor, he is incapable of making cold, hard and seemingly cruel yet necessary decisions most of the time due to his kindhearted nature, which is the main reason why he is considered to be halfboiled by most around him. He dresses in the style from the 1940s and wears a black fedora/trilby made by the Windscale design house. He attempts to emulate famous pulp fiction private eye characters, even monologuing in a similar fashion. He has a sharp intuition and may even figure out the culprit behind a crime before having Philip confirm his suspicions with evidence. Vowing to ensure that no one ever feels sad, Shotaro took on the job as the protégé of Futo's private investigator Sokichi Narumi after admiring his work as a child. However, during the Begins Night (ビギンズナイト Biginzu Naito?) incident, an investigation into a mysterious organization led to Shotaro meeting Philip prior to Narumi's death, leaving Shotaro to continue in his stead, Narumi passing on his white fedora to Shotaro, his final words telling Shotaro to "grow into a man worthy of wearing it". A year later, refusing to let his mentor's death be in vain, Shotaro works to stop the Dopant crime wave by being the man on the street, contacting his various informants and transforming into Kamen Rider Double by providing his body for the formation. Shotaro takes the role of Kamen Rider Double very seriously and with great pride as the name "Kamen Rider" was given to them by the citizens themselves. As such, he tries hard to make a good name for Kamen Rider Double, and would not forgive anyone who dares bring disgrace to the "Kamen Rider" name. Shotaro's body, however, was never meant to handle Gaia Memories and he was never the one intended to be partnered with Philip, which is why he initially had trouble maintaining their Rider form when Philip's power was evolving. However, he proved to be able to overcome these obstacles to become worthy of being the true Kamen Rider Double. Another goal he has throughout the series is to live up to Narumi's expectations, which he finally does in the battle with the Utopia Dopant. During the battle, he wears Sokichi Narumi's white fedora, having finally believed in himself that he had become worthy of wearing it.
In the movie Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate, when Philip abducted and all non T2-Gaia Memories disabled by the T2-Eternal Memory, Shotaro receives his mentor's Lost Driver. With the T2 Joker Memory, Shotaro can become Kamen Rider Joker (仮面ライダージョーカー Kamen Raidā Jōkā?) allowing him to fight on his own, using the powers of the Joker Memory to their full potential. He is capable of two distinct Maximum Drives, the Rider Punch (ライダーパンチ Raidā Panchi?) and the Rider Kick (ライダーキック Raidā Kikku?), when the T2-Joker Memory is placed into the Maximum Slot. Before Philip becomes one with the Earth after saving Wakana and defeating the Utopia Dopant, he came across the Lost Driver and gives it to Shotaro as a farewell gift, allowing Shotaro to continue fighting as Kamen Rider Joker after his disappearance using the standard Joker Memory. About a year later, Shotaro continues to fight doing the best he can to protect the city of Futo when a gang of kids calling themselves EXE, using leftover Gaia Memories to assume Dopant forms and proclaim themselves to be successors of Museum, becomes a threat. However, he is soon reunited with Philip when the later is done reconstructing his body. Together, they once again protect the city as Kamen Rider Double. He can be Kamen Rider Joker anytime he want if just in case if Phillip isn't available.
Shotaro also shares his First name with the creator of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, Shotaro Ishinomori.
Philip (フィリップ Firippu?, portrayed by Masaki Suda) is a mysterious young man who is in-tuned with the true Gaia Memory (地球の記憶 Chikyū no Kioku?), referred to as the "Chosen Child" (運命の子 Unmei no Ko?) whose powers were used to create the Gaia Memories and whoever possesses him would rule the world. After being rescued by Shotaro and Sokichi Narumi from the Museum, receiving his new name from the latter, Philip aids Shotaro in order to atone for being used as a puppet willingly by his captors. He investigates Dopant activities through his ability to access the Gaia Library (地球（ほし）の本棚 Hoshi no Hondana?) and its Infinite Archive (無限アーカイブ Mugen Ākaibu?), a metaphysical realm and Akashic records in the form of white room filled with an endless number of books on an endless number of bookshelves. However, due to having no memory of his life before being rescued and the need to keep his location secret from the people Shotaro rescued him from, he usually spends his time in the Detective Agency's secret hangar, reading about common topics that he finds interesting. Sometimes his unintentional focus on a topic will turn into an obsession that overwhelms him until he knows everything about that subject, often getting in the way of ongoing investigations. He appears at first to be an apathetic, almost totally logical and unfeeling sociopath, having little common sense and constantly irks all around him, especially his partner and Akiko. As the series progresses, he became increasingly open to those around him and feels more like a human instead of a living encyclopedia. He fights the Dopants with Shotaro, allowing his consciousness to separate from his body to fight as Kamen Rider Double, providing the Gaia Memories for the right side of Kamen Rider Double. He eventually discovers that his real name is Raito Sonozaki (園咲 来人 Sonozaki Raito?), the third child and only son of the Sonozaki family, after his mind was altered by Satoshi Yamashiro under his father's wishes for Raito/Philip to have no memory of his name and family (which explains why the pages on his family were torn out when he was attempting to look them up), as well as discovering that his mother is Shroud. It is also revealed to him that Raito actually died twelve years ago in a freak accident, and he was revived as an avatar for the true Gaia Memory. After he is joined with the Gaia Memory once again, he becomes a part of Wakana until Shotaro is able to overcome his fear, induced by the Terror Dopant earlier, and pull Philip's mind (along with the Cyclone Memory) and body (with the Xtreme Memory) out of ClayDoll Xtreme. However, this event renders Philip's body unstable to the point that should he transform into Kamen Rider Double again, he would break up into data and be completely absorbed by the planet once he cancels transformation. Saving their final transformation to save Wakana and fight the Utopia Dopant, Jun Kazu, Philip has Shotaro promise him that he will still fight for Futo even after he is gone. After Kazu is defeated, Philip bids his final farewell to Shotaro as he fades away once the transformation is cancelled. Before he left, Philip left Shotaro a gift containing a Lost Driver buckle and the blank book he used to bring around with him, containing a message thanking Shotaro and asking him to continue to protect Futo. However, after Wakana learns that Philip sacrificed his own physical existence to save her, she initiates her own Gaia Impact to bring back the Xtreme Memory which slowly reconstructs Philip's physical body. Before returning, Philip has one last moment with his family who tell him that they will be watching over him. Once revealing himself a year after his physical form is completely restored, Philip resumes protecting Futo with Shotaro as Kamen Rider Double. He, as well as his cat Mick, are the sole surviving members of the Sonozaki Family.
During the events of the spin-off novel Kamen Rider W: The One Who Continues After Z, Philip fights tougher Dopants on his own since Shotaro is sick and is unable to fight, which forces him to use the Lost Driver and the Cyclone Memory in order to transform into the wind-powered Kamen Rider Cyclone (仮面ライダーサイクロン Kamen Raidā Saikuron?). Kamen Rider Cyclone's makes his full appearance in the video game Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heroes.
Philip was named by Sokichi Narumi after the fictional detective Philip Marlowe. His name is alternatively spelled as "Philippe" in the aura that is produced when he accesses the Gaia Library. His real name "Raito" is pronounced similarly to the English word "right", as he forms the right side of any Kamen Rider Double formation.
Kamen Rider Double
When Shotaro and Philip set their Gaia Memories into the Double Driver Belt, Philip's conscious mind enters Shotaro's body to produce Kamen Rider Double. Their catchphrase at the start of a battle is "Now, count your sins!" (さあ、お前の罪を数えろ！ Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!?), which is originally used by Sokichi Narumi. When combined as Kamen Rider Double, Shotaro usually does most of the talking, though both speak when saying their pre-battle catchphrase and announcing Maximum Drive attacks. When Philip speaks by himself when transformed, Kamen Rider Double's right eye flashes. Kamen Rider Double's ability to function is dependent on the condition of both Shotaro and Philip. Kamen Rider Double requires their two minds to function perfectly as one. Any disruption, be it physical or mental, affects Kamen Rider Double's ability to move, and severe damage can cancel the transformation entirely. If their Rider form takes any damage at all, both of them will feel the pain after returning to normal and Philip will often pass out due to his weaker constitution. Shotaro's habit of flicking his wrist carries over to Kamen Rider Double.
Kamen Rider Double is unique among Kamen Riders in that rather than having explicitly defined forms, he instead has mix-and-match powers. Through the different Gaia Memories, Kamen Rider Double has access to various combinations of powers, weapons, strengths, and weaknesses. Kamen Rider Double's forms accessed through their first six Gaia Memories are known as Half Changes (ハーフチェンジ Hāfu Chenji?), due to the fact that Kamen Rider Double can switch out one (or both) Gaia Memories in the belt in a Memory Change (メモリチェンジ Memori Chenji?) to change forms.
Each different version of Kamen Rider Double has its own finishing attack(s) known as Maximum Drives (マキシマムドライブ Makishimamu Doraibu?) which is needed to defeat a Dopant. The energy imparted by the Maximum Drive does not destroy the Dopant but rather its Gaia Memory, resulting in the ejection of the Gaia Memory from the user's body and the destruction of the Gaia Memory called a Memory Break (メモリブレイク Memori Bureiku?).
CycloneJoker (サイクロンジョーカー Saikuron Jōkā?) is Kamen Rider Double's default form, colored green and black and is accessed from the Cyclone and Joker Memories. The form is considered to be the most well-balanced, which is why it is made the default form. In this form, Kamen Rider Double's kicks are powered by wind, increasing the damage and adding cutting potential. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is a Rider Kick called the Joker Extreme (ジョーカーエクストリーム Jōkā Ekustorīmu?), during which a tiny controlled tornado lifts Kamen Rider Double into the air before Kamen Rider Double's body splits down the middle as the halves reach their target in a drop kick fashion. A variation of this attack involves Kamen Rider Double jumping off the back wheel of Kamen Rider Accel Bike Form, allowing for faster acceleration upon descent.
- During the events of Shotaro's jidaigeki-influenced dream, this form is known as ShippūKirifuda (疾風切札?), and the Gaia Memories are replaced by wooden placards known as kifuda (木札?).
CycloneMetal (サイクロンメタル Saikuron Metaru?) is a green and silver-colored Half Change accessed through the Cyclone and Metal Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double can wield the Metal Shaft by means of the Metal Memory's powers. When swung, the Metal Shaft creates blades of wind by means of the Cyclone Memory. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Metal Twister (メタルツイスター Metaru Tsuisutā?) where Kamen Rider Double spins around while swinging the Metal Shaft covered in an aura of wind.
CycloneTrigger (サイクロントリガー Saikuron Torigā?) is a green and blue-colored Half Change accessed through the Cyclone and Trigger Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double wields the Trigger Magnum by means of the Trigger Memory's powers and is able to shoot out highly compressed air by means of the Cyclone Memory's powers. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Trigger Aerobuster (トリガーエアロバスター Torigā Earobasutā?), firing multiple shots of pressurized air at the enemy.
HeatMetal (ヒートメタル Hīto Metaru?) is the second form used by Kamen Rider Double, first appearing in the Decade movie All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker. It is colored red and silver and is accessed from the Heat and Metal Memories. This form is considered the strongest, yet slowest of the 9 forms. In this form, the damage from the Metal Shaft is increased by infusing fire by means of the Heat Memory's powers. A common tactic used by Kamen Rider Double is to turn around while changing to this form, using the Metal Shaft on his back to block enemy attacks before counterattacking. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Metal Branding (メタルブランディング Metaru Burandingu?), causing one or both ends of the Metal Shaft to ignite on fire and deliver a final blow to the opponent. A variation of this attack is the Steam Metal Branding (スチームメタルブランディング Suchīmu Metaru Burandingu?), a tandem attack used in combination with Kamen Rider Accel's Engine Blade which is only seen in the Hyper Battle DVD.
HeatJoker (ヒートジョーカー Hīto Jōkā?) is the first Half Change form used by Kamen Rider Double when he appears in the Kamen Rider Decade film, colored red and black and is accessed through the Heat and Joker Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double can throw flaming punches by means of the Heat Memory's powers. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is a Rider Punch called the Joker Grenade (ジョーカーグレネード Jōkā Gurenēdo?), during which Kamen Rider Double somersaults in mid-air, then HeatJoker's body splits down the middle during descent as the halves each hit the target with elementally energized hooks.
HeatTrigger (ヒートトリガー Hīto Torigā?) is a red and blue-colored Half Change accessed through the Heat and Trigger Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double wields the Trigger Magnum by means of the Trigger Memory's powers and shoots fire blasts by means of the Heat Memory's powers. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Trigger Explosion (トリガーエクスプロージョン Torigā Ekusupurōjon?), which fires a single constant stream of fire that completely vaporizes the enemy. HeatTrigger is the only form of Kamen Rider Double's that has attempted to perform a Twin Maximum, in which the Trigger Magnum blasts out a massive fireball that incinerates anything in its path.
LunaTrigger (ルナトリガー Runa Torigā?) is a third form that first appears in the television series. It is a gold and blue form accessed from the Luna and Trigger Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double's Trigger Magnum is able to fire gold and blue bolts that can curve and track targets. It is considered the best form to use at long range due to its homing and curving shots. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Trigger Full Burst (トリガーフルバースト Torigā Furu Bāsuto?), which fires multiple charged homing shots at the enemy.
LunaJoker (ルナジョーカー Runa Jōkā?) is the first Half Change form used by Kamen Rider Double within the series, a gold and black-colored form accessed through the Luna and Joker Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double has the ability to stretch his right limbs by means of the Luna Memory's powers. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is a Rider Chop called the Joker Strange (ジョーカーストレンジ Jōkā Sutorenji?), during which LunaJoker splits down the middle, the Luna half makes four copies of itself, and all five Luna halves execute rapid-fire karate chops on the target, and then the Joker half strikes the target with an energy powered chop.
LunaMetal (ルナメタル Runa Metaru?) is a gold and silver-colored Half Change accessed through the Luna and Metal Memories. In this form, Kamen Rider Double can wield the Metal Shaft by means of the Metal Memory's powers, using the Luna Memory's abilities to use it like a whip. This form's Maximum Drive finisher is the Metal Illusion (メタルイリュージョン Metaru Iryūjon?) where Kamen Rider Double spins the Metal Shaft around to create golden rings that float around Kamen Rider Double, before unleashing them upon the target all at once.
FangJoker (ファングジョーカー Fangu Jōkā?) is a white and black form that Kamen Rider Double first uses to escape from Philip's captors during the events of the Begins Night as seen in Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010. As the Fang Memory was designed for Philip's use and act as his bodyguard, he and Shotaro's roles as Kamen Rider Double are reversed in FangJoker, with Shotaro's consciousness transferred into Philip's body for the transformation. Because of this, when Shotaro speaks, Kamen Rider Double's left eye flashes. This allows Philip to go out into the open and utilize Kamen Rider Double in case Shotaro is not around to help, though Shotaro still needs to put on the Double Driver first. However, the transformation is extremely taxing on Philip's body, and he lost control of himself in this form during its first two uses. In addition, they cannot stay in the FangJoker form for too long due to Philip's weaker body. This form is considered the stronger and faster than all forms that came before it, but is seldom used due to both Philip not being outdoors as often as Shotaro, the strain that it puts on Philip's body, and the fact that they are locked into FangJoker and cannot Half Change on the left-half. Thus this form is less tactical and more of a last resort. By activating the Fang Memory's horn between one and three times, FangJoker is able to summon a bladed weapon that forms on various portions of FangJoker's body. One time summons the Arm Saber (アームセイバー Āmu Seibā?) on FangJoker's wrist to be used as a close combat weapon; two times summons the Shoulder Saber (ショルダーセイバー Shorudā Seibā?), which can be removed from FangJoker's right shoulder to be used as a dagger or boomerang-like weapon; three times summons the Maximum Saber (マキシマムセイバー Makishimamu Seibā?) on FangJoker's right ankle. This last Saber is used to perform FangJoker's Maximum Drive: the flying roundhouse Rider Kick Fang Strizer (ファングストライザー Fangu Sutoraizā?), in which a projection of the Fang Memory's head is shown "biting" the opponent when Kamen Rider Double comes in contact.
Although not canonically possible, one of the toy versions of FangJoker could be split in half and combined with the Metal and Trigger toy halves to produce FangMetal (ファングメタル Fangu Metaru?) and FangTrigger (ファングトリガー Fangu Torigā?).
Final Form Ride
During the events of Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010, Kamen Rider Decade uses the "Kamen Rider W" Final Form Ride card and splits CycloneJoker into two separate iterations of Kamen Rider Double. When Decade uses the Final Attack Ride card, Kamen Rider Double CycloneCyclone and JokerJoker alongside Decade can execute the Triple Extreme (トリプルエクストリーム Toripuru Ekusutorīmu?) Rider Kick.
CycloneCyclone (サイクロンサイクロン Saikuron Saikuron?) is the green Final Form Ride form that Philip can control independently. In this form, another Cyclone Memory for the Body Side is produced and gains the power over wind. CycloneCyclone also gains a second Windy Stabilizer scarf on his left side. In the novel Kamen Rider W: The One Who Continues After Z, Philip can transform into a similar rider called Kamen Rider Cyclone by using the Cyclone Memory and the Lost Driver.
JokerJoker (ジョーカージョーカー Jōkā Jōkā?) is the black Final Form Ride Form that Shotaro can control independently. In this form, another Joker Memory for the Soul Side is produced and gains the power of agility and strength. In Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate, Shotaro can transform into a similar rider called Kamen Rider Joker by using the T2 Joker Memory and the Lost Driver.
CycloneJokerXtreme (サイクロンジョーカーエクストリーム Saikuron Jōkā Ekusutorīmu?) is the evolved form of CycloneJoker accessed with the Xtreme Memory, linking it directly to the infinite knowledge of the true Gaia Memory through the iridescent band going down the middle of Kamen Rider Double's body called the Crystal Server (クリスタルサーバー Kurisutaru Sābā?). It also represents the perfect union between Shotaro and Philip, as they become completely one through the Xtreme Memory absorbing Philip and attaching to the Double Driver. Thus when either Philip or Shotaro speaks on their own, their respective side's eye flashes, they also appear together as soon as they cancel the transformation. The knowledge of this form allows Kamen Rider Double to instantly analyze the opponent's capabilities and formulate strategies quickly. CycloneJokerXtreme's Maximum Drive is the Double Xtreme (ダブルエクストリーム Daburu Ekusutorīmu?) Rider Kick; after closing and opening the Xtreme Memory, a twister forms around Kamen Rider Double that lifts him into the air to then accelerate him down towards his target. By using the Prism Memory in the Double Driver's Maximum Slot and activating its Maximum Drive as well as the Xtreme Memory's Maximum Drive, it enables CycloneJokerXtreme to perform a powered-up version of the Double Xtreme called the Double Prism Xtreme (ダブルプリズムエクストリーム Daburu Purizumu Ekusutorīmu?) which extends the initial drop kick into bicycle kicks. In this form, Kamen Rider Double wields the Prism Bicker which has its own Maximum Drives. Unlike the other forms of Kamen Rider Double, CycloneJokerXtreme's motif also includes the letter X.
CycloneJokerGoldXtreme (サイクロンジョーカーゴールドエクストリーム Saikuron Jōkā Gōrudo Ekusutorīmu?) is an second evolved form of CycloneJokerXtreme that appears in Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate as a result of strong winds carrying the wishes and support of citizens of Futo to the Kamen Rider that affects the Xtreme Memory. In this form, the Crystal Server turns golden with a set of six insect wings that allows Kamen Rider Double to fly. CycloneJokerGoldXtreme's Maximum Drive is the Golden Xtreme (ゴールデンエクストリーム Gōruden Ekusutorīmu?) Rider Kick. Kamen Rider Double uses this form again during the events of Movie War Core while hit by a burst of energy from the transformation of Kamen Rider OOO Tajadol Combo, aiding him in destroying Kamen Rider Core.
CycloneAccelXtreme (サイクロンアクセルエクストリーム Saikuron Akuseru Ekusutorīmu?) is a form that is only described by Shroud as being the ultimate form that can be attained by Kamen Rider Double. Rather than being a union between Shotaro and Philip, CycloneAccelXtreme is the union of Ryu Terui and Philip, as both of their physiologies make them immune to the attacks of the Old Dopant and the Terror Dopant. Shroud states that Ryu's hatred and rage is needed for Kamen Rider Double to fight at its full potential. However, Ryu decides not to fight as part of this form after showing Shroud that they can fight with compassion rather than hatred.
Though not making a physical appearance in the series, CycloneAccelXtreme appears in Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO where he is armed with both the Engine Blade and the Prism Bicker. While able to use the Engine Blade's Gaia Memories in his attacks, CycloneAccelXtreme uses the Prism Memory's ability to link Philip's three elemental Gaia Memories with the Accel Memory to perform his own version of Bicker Finallusion.
The Double Driver (ダブルドライバー Daburu Doraibā?) is Kamen Rider Double's transformation belt, a second generation Memory Driver developed for the user to link with Philip to access his abilities, and the successor of the Lost Driver in terms of belt design. Unlike earlier models, the Double Driver uses two Gaia Memories at once for even more power for the user. There is only one physical Double Driver, but when Shotaro places it on him, another Double Driver manifests itself onto Philip. By inserting the Gaia Memories into the respective Memory Slots (メモリスロット Memori Surotto?) on their belt buckles, Shotaro and Philip can transform into Kamen Rider Double. The Left Slot holds Shotaro's Gaia Memories and the Right Slot holds Philip's. When Philip puts a Gaia Memory into the Right Slot, he undergoes Soul Forward (ソウルフォワード Souru Fowādo?), sending his soul to Shotaro to transform both of them into Kamen Rider Double. The process causes Phillip's body to fall into a comatose state. Another slot on the right side of the Double Driver is called the Maximum Slot (マキシマムスロット Makishimamu Surotto?). When a Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot, Kamen Rider Double can use a Maximum Drive finisher attack. This specific slot is used for the Joker Memory to execute either the Joker Extreme (CycloneJoker), Joker Grenade (HeatJoker), or Joker Strange (LunaJoker) Maximum Drives. In other forms, it can be used to insert the right half's Memory, allowing for a Twin Maximum (ツインマキシマム Tsuin Makishimamu?) attack, but this is immensely dangerous due to the strain it puts on Shotaro's body. During the final battle with the Utopia Dopant, Kamen Rider Double CycloneJokerXtreme places the Prism Memory in the Maximum Slot to execute the Double Prism Xtreme Maximum Drive. As long as the Double Driver is worn by both Shotaro and Philip, they can telepathically communicate with each other provided that both of them are conscious outside the transformation to Kamen Rider Double. The transformation into Kamen Rider Double will be canceled if both Gaia Memories are removed and none are re-inserted for a certain amount of time.
The Lost Driver (ロストドライバー Rosuto Doraibā?) is Shotaro and Philip's secondary transformation belt into Kamen Rider Joker and Kamen Rider Cyclone respectively. Its design is close to the design of the Double Driver but only with one slot for their Gaia Memories. As this belt is meant for a singular rider, they almost never have a need for the Lost Driver thus it is only used if Shotaro or Philip absolutely cannot become Double. Like the Double Driver, the Lost Driver also has a Maximum Slot used for the singular rider's Rider Punch or Rider Kick. It is originally given to Philip by Shroud during the novel Kamen Rider W: The One Who Continues After Z and Shotaro comes across Narumi's during the movie Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate. Philip then gives Shotaro his before he disappeared to operate as Kamen Rider Joker while he was away.
The Gaia Memories (ガイアメモリ Gaia Memori?) are mysterious USB flash drives imbued with the powers of the Earth itself. Originally created with funding by the Sonozaki Family, these Gaia Memories end up in the possession of Shotaro and Philip, and can only be used through the Double Driver. Compared to the Gaia Memories used by Dopants, the Memories used by Kamen Rider Double are much more refined in appearance, something that Shinkuro Isaka states is indicative of the limits placed on their powers. Two can be inserted into the Double Driver, allowing Shotaro and Philip to transform into Kamen Rider Double. Philip's right-half Gaia Memories called Soul Memories (ソウルメモリ Souru Memori?) determine the elemental power of Kamen Rider Double, while Shotaro's left-half Memories called Body Memories (ボディメモリ Bodi Memori?) determine the type of attack or weaponry that Kamen Rider Double uses.
- Cyclone (サイクロン Saikuron?): The Cyclone Memory, also known as the Windy Memory (風の記憶 Kaze no Kioku?), allows the user to move at fast speeds, controlling the very power of wind, becoming the Windy Warrior (風の戦士 Kaze no Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the green Cyclonic Right Half (旋風の右半身 Senpū no Migi Hanshin?). Forms using the Cyclone Memory possess a Windy Stabilizer (ウィンディスタビライザー Windi Sutabiraizā?), a silver scarf hanging from the neck.
- Joker (ジョーカー Jōkā?): The Joker Memory, also known as the Ace Memory (切り札の記憶 Kirifuda no Kioku?), allows the user to increase fighting potential and enhances the users reflexes significantly, becoming the Skill Warrior (技戦士 Waza Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the black Ace Left Half (切り札の左半身 Kirifuda no Hidari Hanshin?). When the Joker Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot on the Double Driver, it allows Kamen Rider Double to split into two halves to deliver an elemental-powered Maximum Drive attack. The Joker Memory can also be used with the Lost Driver to allow Shotaro to individually transform into Kamen Rider Joker.
- Heat (ヒート Hīto?): The Heat Memory, also known as the Hot Memory (熱き記憶 Atsuki Kioku?), empowers the user with the element of fire, becoming the Blazing Warrior (炎の戦士 Honō no Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the red Heated Right Half (熱き右半身 Atsuki Migi Hanshin?). First used in All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker.
- Metal (メタル Metaru?): The Metal Memory, also known as the Steel Memory (鋼鉄の記憶 Kōtetsu no Kioku?) or the Fighter Memory (闘士の記憶 Tōshi no Kioku?), empowers the user with great strength and magnified resistance to physical harm, becoming the Superpowered Warrior (怪力戦士 Kairiki Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the silver Fighting Left Half (闘士の左半身 Tōshi no Hidari Hanshin?). When the Metal Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot on the Metal Shaft, it allows Kamen Rider Double to infuse the tips of the Metal Shaft with an elemental-powered Maximum Drive attack. First used in All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker.
- Luna (ルナ Runa?): The Luna Memory, also known as the Illusion Memory (幻想の記憶 Gensō no Kioku?), allows the user to cast illusions, stretching limbs and bending gunshots, becoming the Mysterious Warrior (神秘の戦士 Shinpi no Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the gold Fantastical Right Half (幻想の右半身 Gensō no Migi Hanshin?).
- Trigger (トリガー Torigā?): The Trigger Memory, also known as the Sniper Memory (銃撃手の記憶 Jūgekishu no Kioku?), turns the user into an expert marksman, becoming the Gun Warrior (銃戦士 Jū Senshi?). When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the blue Sniping Left Half (狙撃手の左半身 Sogekishu no Hidari Hanshin?). When the Trigger Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot on the Trigger Magnum, it allows Kamen Rider Double to fire an elemental-powered Maximum Drive attack.
- Prism (プリズム Purizumu?): The Prism Memory is the Gaia Memory for the Prism Bicker sword and shield. It serves as a storage for other Gaia Memory powers and links the power of four Maximum Drives into one. When placed in the Maximum Slot of the Double Driver, it allows Kamen Rider Double CycloneJokerXtreme to execute the Double Prism Xtreme Maximum Drive.
The Fang Memory (ファングメモリ Fangu Memori?), also known as the Fanged Memory (牙の記憶 Kiba no Kioku?), is a special Gaia Memory that was solely created to protect Philip and act on his orders, enabling him and Shotaro to transform into Kamen Rider Double FangJoker. It can change between its Live Mode (ライブモード Raibu Mōdo?), which resembles a Dromaeosaurid, and its Memory Mode (メモリモード Memori Mōdo?), the top of which resembles a dinosaur's head. When used, half of Kamen Rider Double becomes the white Fanged Right Half (牙の右半身 Kiba no Migi Hanshin?), enabling Kamen Rider Double to fight like a berserker while altering the left half to match it in being animalistic in design. Being made to protect Philip and act as his bodyguard, the Fang Memory shows up whenever he is in danger or whenever he calls for it. Unlike the normal transformations into Kamen Rider Double, this transformation is initiated by Phillip and the process causes Shotaro to fall comatose and transfer his mind until they revert to normal.
The Xtreme Memory (エクストリームメモリ Ekustorīmu Memori?) is a special bird-like Gaia Memory that allows Kamen Rider Double to become CycloneJokerXtreme by changing from Live Mode (ライブモード Raibu Mōdo?) to Memory Mode (メモリモード Memori Mōdo?) in order to slide onto the Double Driver. It first appears when Philip is in mortal danger from being attacked by the Weather Dopant, and it digitizes him where Shroud confronts him about his mission to save the Earth. The Xtreme Memory's powers come directly from the true Gaia Memory and are accessed through the Crystal Server on CycloneJokerXtreme. To initiate its Maximum Drive, the Double Xtreme Rider Kick, the Xtreme Memory is closed and then re-opened. A variation of the Double Xtreme, the Double Prism Xtreme, is where Kamen Rider Double inserts the Prism Memory in the Maximum Slot of the Double Driver before closing and re-opening the Xtreme Memory. When Philip dissolves after his final battle as Kamen Rider Double, the Xtreme Memory which holds the data of his mind and body does as well. However, after Wakana sacrifices her life, she brings back the Xtreme Memory which holds Philip's body until his physical form is restored.
The Metal Shaft (メタルシャフト Metaru Shafuto?) is an extendable bō used when Kamen Rider Double assumes any form that uses the Metal Memory. When the Metal Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot on the Metal Shaft, Kamen Rider Double is able to execute either the Metal Branding (HeatMetal), Metal Twister (CycloneMetal), or Metal Illusion (LunaMetal) Maximum Drives. The Metal Shaft attaches to the back of the Metal half of a Kamen Rider Double formation. When used in conjunction with the Stag Phone while in CycloneMetal, its finishing attack is the Metal Stag Break.
The Trigger Magnum (トリガーマグナム Torigā Magunamu?) is a firearm used when Kamen Rider Double assumes any form that uses the Trigger Memory. When the Trigger Memory is placed in the Maximum Slot on the Trigger Magnum, it shifts from Normal Mode to Maximum Mode to enable either the Trigger Full Burst (LunaTrigger), Trigger Explosion (HeatTrigger) or Trigger Aerobuster (CycloneTrigger) Maximum Drives. The Trigger Magnum attaches to the chest of the Trigger half of a Kamen Rider Double formation. When used in conjunction with the Stag Phone while in LunaTrigger, its finishing attack is the Trigger Stag Burst. When used in conjunction with the Bat Shot while in CycloneTrigger, its finishing attack is the Trigger Bat Shooting.
The Prism Bicker (プリズムビッカー Purizumu Bikkā?) is a special weapon that Kamen Rider Double uses as CycloneJokerXtreme. It can separate into the Prism Sword (プリズムソード Purizumu Sōdo?) and Bicker Shield (ビッカーシールド Bikkā Shīrudo?). The Prism Sword has the ability to neutralize the regenerative abilities of Dopants, though ClayDoll is an exception after using the Gaia Progressor on herself. After inserting the Prism Memory into the Prism Sword and by pressing the Maximum Starter button on its hilt, the Prism Break (プリズムブレイク Purizumu Bureiku?) Maximum Drive is initiated, either through an energized slash or a wave of energy. Through the Prism Memory's ability to link Philip's three elemental Gaia Memories with the Joker Memory, the Prism Bicker allows CycloneJokerXtreme to perform two quadruple power Maximum Drives: the Bicker Charge Break (ビッカーチャージブレイク Bikkā Chāji Bureiku?) sword and shield charged slash and the Bicker Finallusion (ビッカーファイナリュージョン Bikkā Fainaryūjon?) laser blast. A variation of the Bicker Charge Break turns the Bicker Shield into a whirling disc of energy which Kamen Rider Double can ride like a surfboard, allowing him to perform the Maximum Drive against an airborne foe. A variation of Bicker Finallusion in which the Metal Memory is used in place of the Joker Memory creates a strong energy shield capable of withstanding a wide-area devastation attack from ClayDoll Xtreme.
The Prism Bicker has a larger cousin, the X-Bicker, which is a weapon designed to utilize the linked Maximum Drives of all 26 T2 Gaia Memories. Using Philip as an amplifier, it projects a wave of energy which can convert an entire city's population into Necro-Overs. The X-Bicker is charged, but never fired, as its energy is absorbed by Kamen Rider Eternal in an effort to defeat Kamen Rider Double.
The Memory Gadgets (メモリガジェット Memori Gajetto?) are items powered by artificial Gaia Memories called Giji Memories (ギジメモリ Giji Memori?, "Pseudo Memories") that allow them to switch between their Gadget Mode (ガジェットモード Gajetto Mōdo?) and their Live Mode (ライブモード Raibu Mōdo?). The Gadgets can in turn be attached to Kamen Rider Double's weapons to provide a boost. The Cyclone, Luna, and Heat Memories can also be inserted into a Memory Gadget, activating a Maximum Drive.
- The Stag Phone (スタッグフォン Sutaggu Fon?) is a cellular phone that switches between Cell Phone Mode (携帯モード Keitai Mōdo?) and Stag Mode (スタッグモード Sutaggu Mōdo?) with the use of the Stag Memory (スタッグメモリ Sutaggu Memori?). When in Cell Phone Mode, it allows Kamen Rider Double to summon and control the HardBoilder and the RevolGarry. At least two Stag Phones exist, serving as Shotaro's and Philip's personal cellular phones. The Stag Phone also has a Maximum Drive for the Heat Memory, engulfing it in flames. When attached to the Trigger Magnum, it allows Kamen Rider Double to perform the Trigger Stag Burst (トリガースタッグバースト Torigā Sutaggu Bāsuto?) Maximum Drive, crushing the Dopant between two pincer-like energy projections shot from the Trigger Magnum. When attached to the Metal Shaft, it allows Kamen Rider Double to perform the Metal Stag Break (メタルスタッグブレイク Metaru Sutaggu Bureiku?) Maximum Drive, crushing the Dopant between two pincer-like energy projections emitted from the Metal Shaft.
- The Spider Shock (スパイダーショック Supaidā Shokku?) is a G-Shock wrist watch that switches between Wrist Watch Mode (腕時計モード Udedokei Mōdo?) and Spider Mode (スパイダーモード Supaidā Mōdo?) with the use of the Spider Memory (スパイダーメモリ Supaidā Memori?). It has a grappling hook in Wrist Watch Mode. It can also shoot out trackers which can be tracked in Wrist Watch Mode. When attached to the Trigger Magnum, it allows Kamen Rider Double to fire out a net that can capture Dopants. When attached to the Metal Shaft, it allows Kamen Rider Double to shoot out a webbed string that restrains a Dopant.
- The Bat Shot (バットショット Batto Shotto?) is a digital camera that switches between Digicam Mode (デジカメモード Dejikame Mōdo?) and Bat Mode (バットモード Batto Mōdo?) with the use of the Bat Memory (バットメモリ Batto Memori?). A live video feed can be linked to the Stag Phone while in Bat Mode. Its flash can disorient others, and when attached to the Metal Shaft (a combination that Shotaro dubs the Sonic Shaft (ソニックシャフト Sonikku Shafuto?)), it can emit sonic waves strong enough to shatter solid objects. The Bat Shot also has a Maximum Drive for the Luna Memory, allowing its flashes to reveal and stun any hidden targets in its vicinity. When attached to the Trigger Magnum, it allows Kamen Rider Double to perform the Trigger Bat Shooting (トリガーバットシューティング Torigā Batto Shūtingu?) Maximum Drive, locking onto the target through the Bat Shot and then firing a concentrated blast from the Trigger Magnum.
- The Frog Pod (フロッグポッド Furoggu Poddo?) is a speaker that switches between Speaker Mode (スピーカーモード Supīkā Mōdo?) and Frog Mode (フロッグモード Furoggu Mōdo?) with the use of the Frog Memory (フロッグメモリ Furoggu Memori?), which is similar to a MP3 Player that acts as a sound recorder. When the recording is played back, the Frog Pod can modulate the sound to be anyone's voice. Its primary uses are for audio recording and analysis. The Frog Memory and manual for building the Frog Pod are sent to Philip in a black envelope, by a person he believes to be Shroud, the woman who provides Kamen Rider Accel with his transformation items and arsenal.
- The Denden Sensor (デンデンセンサー Denden Sensā?) is a pair of night vision goggles that switches between Goggle Mode (ゴーグルモード Gōguru Mōdo?, also translated as "Night Scope Mode") and Denden Mode (デンデンモード Denden Mōdo?) with the use of the Denden Memory (デンデンメモリ Denden Memori?). Its primary ability is to detect changes in the light spectra and alert its user to targets invisible to the naked eye. It is also used as a surveillance device, being able to store 8 terabytes of information in its Giji Memory. The Denden Sensor is the second Memory Gadget Philip is seen constructing from a set of instructions sent to him by Shroud.
The HardBoilder (ハードボイルダー Hādo Boirudā?), designated the "MB1000RV", is Kamen Rider Double's personal Honda CBR1000RR motorcycle. Like Kamen Rider Double, the HardBoilder is black and green and is also able to change forms by swapping out the back half of the motorcycle after docking with the RevolGarry.
The first combination is the black and red HardTurbuler (ハードタービュラー Hādo Tābyurā?), which is a flying hovercraft-like vehicle. The HardTurbuler is often used by Kamen Rider Double when he is in HeatMetal form. The HardTurbuler is armed with Scramble Cutter (スクランブルカッター Sukuranburu Kattā?) guns. It also can combine with Kamen Rider Accel, forming the AccelTurbuler.
The other combination is the black and gold HardSplasher (ハードスプラッシャー Hādo Supurasshā?), a personal water craft-like vehicle. This is often used by Kamen Rider Double when he is in LunaTrigger form. The HardSplasher is armed with a torpedo launcher.
Start Dash Mode
The HardBoilder can also be put into Start Dash Mode (スタートダッシュモード Sutāto Dasshu Mōdo?) to increase its speed. The Start Dash Mode components can be detached after deployment to slow down any chasing adversaries.
The HardGunner (ハードガンナー Hādo Gannā?) is the combination of the front unit of the HardBoilder and Kamen Rider Accel's Gunner A robotic tank. This combination is faster than the HardBoilder and also arms it with the Gaia Cannon.
The Rotation-Interchange Base RevolGarry (回転換装ベースリボルギャリー Kaiten Kansō Bēsu Riborugyarī?) is a truck/garage, an updated version of the SkullGarry used by Kamen Rider Skull. Besides holding the HardBoilder, the RevolGarry has a revolving wheel that has the components to change the HardBoilder to the HardTurbuler and HardSplasher.
The HardMammother (ハードマンモシャー Hādo Manmoshā?) was originally the Mammoth Mecha (マンモスメカ Manmosu Meka?), a mammoth-like giant robot used by Super Shocker against the Kamen Riders. The Dummy Dopant briefly uses it, but after Kamen Rider Double and Kamen Rider Decade remove him, Kamen Rider Double takes control of it by docking the front half of the HardBoilder into its head and changing to HeatMetal form, which turns the mecha red. Its weapons include its trunk, which has a chainsaw-like blade, and its tusks, which can be fired as projectiles and retrieved by chains; the Mammoth Mecha originally had a cluster of three beam cannons as its "eyes", but Decade destroyed these when he attacked the Dummy Dopant. Kamen Rider Double performs a Heat Memory Maximum Drive with the machine, which causes it to burst into flames and perform a suicide attack on the enemy while Kamen Rider Double gets away with the HardTurbuler; this attack is used to destroy the Super Crisis Fortress, but destroys the HardMammother as well. The HardMammother only appears in Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010.
- Hyper Hobby Magazine, July 2010
- Televi Magazine, July 2010
- Toei Hero Max vol. 30
- Newtype The Live September 2009
- "小説版に登場する新ライダー・サイクロンが『仮面ライダー 超クライマックスヒーローズ』に衝撃参戦＆初ビジュアル化！ 電撃オンラインで最速公開 - 電撃オンライン [dengeki]". November 20, 2012. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- "仮面ライダーW （ダブル）まとめ@ Wiki - フィリップ" (in Japanese). 9.atwiki.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- Kamen Rider Decade The Movie: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double CycloneJoker". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double's mask". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "仮面ライダーＷ（ダブル） 第30話 「悪夢なＨ／王子様は誰だ？」｜東映［テレビ］". Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double CycloneMetal". Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- Hobby Japan October 2009
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double CycloneTrigger". Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double HeatMetal". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double HeatJoker". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double HeatTrigger". Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double LunaTrigger". Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double LunaJoker". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double LunaMetal". Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double FangJoker". Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Uchusen Vol. 128
- Tokusatsu Newtype May 2010
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double CycloneJokerXtreme". Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Televi-Kun, September 2010
- "TV Asahi's page on the Double Driver". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "TV Asahi's page for Kamen Rider Double's Gaia Memory". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Fang Memory". Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Xtreme Memory". Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Metal Shaft". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Trigger Magnum". Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Prism Bicker". Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Stag Phone". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Spider Shock". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Bat Shot". Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Frog Pod". Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Frog Pod Manual". Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Denden Sensor". Retrieved 2010-03-20.
- "Honda | お客様相談センター | 仮面ライダーのバイク（仮面ライダーW（ダブル）". Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- "TV Asahi's page on the HardBoilder". Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "TV Asahi's page on the HardTurbuler". Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- "TV Asahi's page on the HardSplasher". Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "TV Asahi's page on the HardBoilder Start Dash Mode". Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "TV Asahi's page on the RevolGarry". Retrieved 2009-09-12.