Kami-Shirataki Station building in June 2009
|Location||Kamishirataki, Engaru-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido 099-0127
|Operated by||Hokkaido Railway Company|
|Line(s)||■ Sekihoku Main Line|
|Distance||78.9 km from Shin-Asahikawa|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Opened||1 October 1932|
|Closed||25 March 2016|
Kami-Shirataki Station (上白滝駅 Kami-Shirataki-eki?, lit. "Upper Shirataki") was a railway station on the Sekihoku Main Line in Engaru, Hokkaido, Japan, operated by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido). Opened in October 1932, the station closed in March 2016.
As of December 2012[update], the station was served by just one train service in each direction daily.
The station had a single side platform serving the single-track line. The station was unstaffed, but a station structure was provided, with toilet facilities for passengers.
|Sekihoku Main Line|
|Limited Express Okhotsk: Does not stop at this station|
|Limited Rapid: Does not stop at this station|
In July 2015, JR Hokkaido announced that it would be closing the station along with three others on the line (Kyū-Shirataki Station, Shimo-Shirataki Station, and Kanehana Station) in March 2016, due to low passenger usage.
In January 2016, it was reported on Chinese state broadcaster CCTV's Facebook page that the station was being kept open for the benefit of just one high-school girl who used the station to commute to and from school, and that it was scheduled to close when the girl graduated. However, it was later revealed that the station in question was actually Kyū-Shirataki Station, two stops away, and there is no evidence that the timing of the closure of either station was connected with the girl's graduation.
The station closed following the last day of services on 25 March 2016.
- Ishino, Tetsu, ed. (1998). 停車場変遷大辞典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR]. II. Japan: JTB. p. 918. ISBN 4-533-02980-9.
- 上白滝・旧白滝・下白滝の３駅も廃止 ＪＲ石北線、来年３月に [3 JR Sekihoku Line stations Kami-Shirataki, Kyu-Shirataki, and Shimo-Shirataki to close next March]. Doshin (in Japanese). Japan: The Hokkaido Shimbun Press. 22 July 2015. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Remote Hokkaido train station stays open for one high school girl? Perhaps not". The Straits Times. Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Japanese train service 'keeps running daily service for a single passenger'". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australia: Fairfax Media. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- 根室線花咲など８駅廃止、７９本減便 ＪＲ北海道がダイヤ改正 [JR Hokkaido introduces revised timetable - 8 stations closed and 79 services cut]. Doshin Web (in Japanese). Japan: The Hokkaido Shimbun Press. 26 March 2016. Archived from the original on 2 April 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kami-Shirataki Station.|
- JR Hokkaido Station information (Japanese)