|• Total||109.63 km2 (42.33 sq mi)|
(September 1, 2020)
|• Density||12/km2 (32/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+09:00 (JST)|
Kamikatsu (上勝町, Kamikatsu-chō) is a town located in Katsuura District, Tokushima Prefecture, Japan. As of 1 September 2020[update], the town had an estimated population of 1,344 and a density of 12.3 persons per km². The total area is 109.63 km².
Kamikatsu is a "zero waste" town, all household waste is separated into 45 different categories and sent to be recycled. In 2008, a poll showed that 40% of residents were still unhappy about the aspect of the policy that required items to be washed. But the town continues the policy as it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly than purchasing an incinerator. The Town recycles about 80% of its waste. The town has set a goal to become fully zero waste by 2020.
- Media related to Kamikatsu, Tokushima at Wikimedia Commons
- Kamikatsu official website (in Japanese)
- Kamikatsu Facebook Info page (in English and Japanese)
- How This Town Produces No Trash (video showing residential sorting)
- World Economic Forum (Article dated 21 Jan 2019)
- Video about the town's recycling (video about the town's recycling)