Mehmet Kamil Ocak
|Minister for Sport|
10 October 1965 – 21 May 1969
|Prime Minister||Süleyman Demirel|
|Born||19 February 1914|
Gaziantep, Aleppo Vilayet, Ottoman Empire
|Died||21 May 1969 (aged 55)|
|Political party||Justice Party|
|Alma mater||Robert College|
Mehmet Kamil Ocak (19 February 1914 – 21 May 1969) was a Turkish politician and served as minister of state from 1965 to 1969.
Early life and education
Ocak was born in Gaziantep in the Aleppo Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire on 19 February 1914. His father was Mustafa Ocak, one of the former mayors of Gaziantep and a Mevlevi Sheikh. Kamil Ocak graduated from commercial department of Robert College in 1935.
After graduation, Ocak worked for three years at the Central Bank of Turkey. In 1940, he became the director of the weaver's cooperative in Gaziantep and served there for eight years. In 1948, he was appointed director of the Association of Pistachio and Agriculture Cooperatives by the Ministry of Commerce. His term lasted until 1960.
In 1941, Ocak began to take part in political activities in Gaziantep. In 1946 elections, he was a MP candidate from Democrat Party (DP). In 1950, he was elected as DP's local district chair and in 1951, as DP's province chair which lasted until 1957. From 17 November 1955 to 16 November 1956 he served as the mayor of Gaziantep. In 1961 elections after the 1960 coup d'état, he was a MP candidate from newly established Justice Party (AP). In 1962, he was chosen as AP's local district chair and served there until 1965. In 1963 local elections, he was elected as a member of Gaziantep city council. In 1965 elections, he was elected as AP Gaziantep deputy on 10 October 1965. Then he was appointed state minister responsible for sports by Prime Minister Süleyman Demirel. The cabinet was approved by the parliament on 11 November 1965. During his term, Ocak helped to build one stadium and one gymnasium in Gaziantep.
Ocak was married to Mübeccel Ocak and had four children, two sons and two daughters. He was fluent in English and French.
- "Kamil Ocak". Gaziantep Spor Kulübü (Gaziantepspor FC official website). Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Kamil Ocak" (in Turkish). Fikri Antep. Retrieved 26 August 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Kamil Ocak'ın kemiklerini sızlatmayın". Gaziantep 27. 7 November 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Major events in 1965". Turkey Almanac (in Turkish). Retrieved 26 August 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Kamil Ocak kimdir?". Forumdas. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Türkischer Biographischer Index / Turkish Biographical Index. Walter de Gruyter. January 2004. p. 751. ISBN 978-3-11-096577-3. Retrieved 10 December 2016.