Cover art for volume one of the Japanese edition featuring Tomoe and Nanami
|Genre||Romantic Comedy, Fantasy, Supernatural|
|Written by||Julietta Suzuki|
|English publisher||Viz Media|
|Magazine||Hana to Yume|
|Original run||March 2008 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Written by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Music by||Toshio Masuda|
|Original run||October 1, 2012 – December 24, 2012|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Released||August 26, 2013 – 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Music by||Toshio Masuda|
|Original run||January 5, 2015 – March 30, 2015|
Kamisama Kiss (Japanese: 神様はじめました Hepburn: Kamisama Hajimemashita?, lit. "Began life as God" or "God, it has begun") is a Japanese manga series by Julietta Suzuki and serialized by Hakusensha in the shōjo manga magazine Hana to Yume. The series is licensed for regional release in North America by Viz Media as part of their Shojo Beat imprint. An anime adaptation has been produced by TMS Entertainment and directed by Akitaro Daichi and began airing in October 2012. It has been streamed by Funimation Entertainment in North America. A second season was announced and premiered during January 2015. 
After Nanami's father runs away due to gambling debts and she is evicted from her apartment, Nanami meets a strange man hanging from a tree because he is being chased by a dog. The man's name is Mikage. She saves Mikage from a dog and tells him her story. He gives Nanami his house as a thank you for saving him. She accepts the offer because she is homeless. When Nanami arrives at Mikage's home, she is shocked to see that it is not a normal home but a shrine for worship. After that she is greeted by both Onikiri and Kotetsu who are the keepers of the shrine. She then meets Tomoe, Mikage's familiar, and she learns that Mikage used to be the Earth Deity of the shrine and has bestowed upon her his mark so that she may be the new deity. At first Nanami is reluctant, but as she lives with Tomoe, Onikiri and Kotetsu she begins to understand and works hard in her new position as the Earth Deity. As the story progresses Nanami finds herself falling in love with Tomoe, but he rejects her because the love between a human and a yokai is taboo. Despite saying that, Tomoe finds himself falling in love with her too.
- Nanami Momozono (桃園奈々生 Momozono Nanami?)
- Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)
- A teenage girl whose father ran out on her because of his gambling debts; she was often mocked for her poverty by her classmates. She becomes the local land god after Mikage transfers his position over to her. Nanami begins with very little spiritual power, but she works hard at balancing her godly duties with her schoolwork and eventually becomes adept at purification. Nanami becomes upset when Tomoe flirts with other women, which is often. Tomoe always puts shiitake mushrooms in Nanami's food even though he knows she hates them. Nanami falls in love with Tomoe, but she is rejected by him since it is taboo for a human and a yokai to fall in love.
- Further within the manga, Nanami takes a journey to the past in order to save her beloved Tomoe from a deadly curse bestowed upon him after he formed a contract with a fallen god in order to live as a human with a woman named Yukiji, whom he loved. It is later revealed that the "Yukiji" Tomoe had actually fallen in love with was Nanami herself, who was impersonating the real Yukiji as part of her plan to protect her from Akura-ou; however, Nanami does not realize this immediately. Nanami is able to save Tomoe within their present era, successfully nullifying his curse and becoming engaged to him after five hundred years of waiting. After Tomoe is turned into a fox she tries to stop Akura-oh from getting his Yokai body back and to save Okuninushi so she can ask him to turn Tomoe human. However, Nanami does not have time; she has only 6 months to live. This is because her life span was taken from her by Akura-ou. in the second season , Nanami became an expert using her only godly weapon before she learned to use
- Tomoe (巴衛?)
- Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (Japanese), J. Michael Tatum (English)
- A fox yokai who serves as the familiar of the land god, Mikage.
- Several centuries ago, he was a wild and cruel fox who was the partner of the Demon King (Akura-ou), but occasionally took mercy on girls who showed spirit. He has a very cynical, often mocking demeanor, partly because he is distrustful of others, but he can be very charming when the occasion demands it. He is also extremely powerful, and is apparently able to disable other familiars and independent demons without much effort. However, his power is restricted by Nanami's words; if she orders him to do something, he must comply. He can transform himself and others with enchanted leaves. Tomoe worries a great deal about Nanami and is very aware of how delicate she is as a human, threatening anyone who harms or speaks ill of her. It is strongly emphasized that he was once in love with a human woman who was very sick named Yukiji; however, it is later revealed to be Nanami herself when time-traveling.
- It is often implied that he loves Nanami, such as doing random acts of kindness for her and refusing to kill in front of her. He often gets very jealous of other boys who hang around her. He is also very loyal to Nanami, as shown by him kissing her to seal their contract again after it had been broken. It is later revealed that he is just as in love with Nanami as she is in love with him, but Nanami is unaware of this fact because he already rejected her. After Nanami goes back in time to save him, he accepts his feelings for her and they renew their engagement that they made 500 years earlier. Soon after, Tomoe meets an old Shrine Maiden that he once met as a child and it frightens him how fast humans can grow old and die. He wants to become human so that he can grow old with Nanami. He takes a potion from Kurama which he mistakenly believes will turn him human but it is actually the Potion of Origin and he is turned into a fox. Nanami prepares to stop Akura-oh from regaining his body and to save the god Okuninushi so she can ask him to turn Tomoe human.
- Mikage (ミカゲ?)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese), Joel McDonald (English)
- A mysterious man who was once the land god of the shrine, and who left 20 years ago for unspecified reasons. He met a newly homeless Nanami and bestowed the land god mark on her, saying that she was better suited to be the god than him. He has light hair and glasses and wears a trenchcoat and hat. Throughout the manga he is portrayed as someone shrouded in mystery on what his true motives really are, but it is hinted that his plan has been to show Tomoe that humans and yokai can fall in love and that Nanami may be the one who can reach Tomoe. Yet, it is not clear if this is his only reason for the circumstances and events he set in motion.
- Shinjūrō Kurama (鞍馬 真寿郎 Kurama Shinjūrō?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese), Sean O'Connor (English)
- A wildly popular idol with the gimmick of being a "fallen angel" with goth makeup and a bad boy attitude. He is a crow tengu from the Kurama mountain who initially wished to become the land god by eating Nanami's heart. After being thwarted by Tomoe (and subsequently saved by Nanami), he gives up on this scheme and regards her as a friend, even allowing her to stay at his apartment when she temporarily loses her godhood. He has a lingering dislike for Tomoe, and the two are prone to insulting each other whenever they meet. He left Kurama mountain 17 years ago and has been living in the human world since then. He's also shown to have a more human-like attitude compared to the others (Tomoe, Mizuki, etc.). He also has feelings for Nanami and always tries to flirt with her.
- Mizuki (瑞希?)
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English)
- A lonely snake familiar of the abandoned and submerged Yonomori shrine. When Nanami saves his life from her cruel classmates by releasing him out a window, he falls in love with her. He abducts her soon after, intending to marry her. In spite of this, Nanami takes pity on him and promises to visit after Tomoe rescues her. He hates Tomoe, evident to his constant mocking and bantering. He even goes as far as to manipulate Nanami various times (through the act of "helping") to try and deter her feelings towards Tomoe (though she is unaware). He later becomes Nanami's familiar to save her from a sea demon after she inadvertently sacrifices herself to save Tomoe. He has the power to make wonderful sake. He also says that whenever he's with Nanami he can be himself.
- Onikiri (鬼切?) and Kotetsu (虎徹?)
- Voiced by: Natsuyo Atarashi (first season), Naoko Matsui (second season) (Onikiri) and Chika Ōkubo (Kotetsu) (Japanese), Jad Saxton (Onikiri) and Josh Grelle (Kotetsu) (English)
- The two bald, childlike yōkai attendants at Nanami's shrine who wear masks. Just like Tomoe, they are able to shapeshift. They are extremely fond of Nanami, Tomoe, and Mikage.
- Ami Nekota (猫田 あみ Nekota Ami?)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
- The first friend Nanami ever made at school. Originally she found Nanami to be weird, but she also took a liking to Nanami. After Nanami (or rather, Tomoe disguised as her) rescued her from a demon, she began to hang around Nanami more and officially became a friend after she helped her talk to Kurama. She made a promise with Kurama to not tell anyone about any of the strange occurrences that happen with Nanami (though it was Tomoe in disguise); Ami believes Nanami is a miko, or shrine maiden. Overall, Ami is a naive but bubbly and gentle girl, and a very reliable friend.
- Kei Ueshima (上島 ケイ Ueshima Kei?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Shimizu (Japanese), Kristi Kang (English)
- Kei is Ami's best friend. After Ami befriends Nanami, she also begins to see Nanami as a friend. Amongst the trio, she is the most mature but also the most hot tempered. She is intuitive and picked up on the fact Nanami liked Tomoe. Kei gave advice to Nanami on how she could get his attention. She is rarely ever seen without her cellphone, on which she constantly sends text messages at a rapid pace; most of the time she does not even bother to glance at the screen.
- Narukami (鳴神?)
- Voiced by: Hyo-sei (Japanese), Lydia Mackay (English)
- A bratty, selfish sky god who has an unrequited crush on Tomoe. She steals Nanami's mark, shrinks Tomoe into a toddler, and takes control of the shrine for a short period. She is very demanding and apparently goes through attendants at an unheard-of rate and seems to take sadistic delight in abusing her familiars.
- Numano Himemiko (沼皇女 Numa no Himemiko?)
- Voiced by: Yui Horie (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- A catfish who became a lake deity and lives in a palace underneath her lake with her many fish attendants. Ten years ago, she fell in love with a young boy named Kotarō Urashima, and she asks Nanami to help her reconnect with the boy once again. As repayment, when Nanami visits her palace she allows her to wear one of her luxurious kimonos so she will look her best in front of Tomoe.
- Dragon King (龍王・宿儺 Ryūō Sukuna?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese), Robert McCollum (English)
- Dragon Lord of the sea, who has a been waiting to seek revenge against Tomoe for 526 years for ripping out his right eye and attacking the north gate of Ryūgū Castle. He found Tomoe after he saved Ami from drowning in the sea. The Dragon Lord's eyes are known as the Longevity Elixir and are said to give great power to whoever has drank them. Though aggressive and temperamental, he is afraid of his wife's anger. He is forced to give up his grudge against Tomoe after his wife befriends Nanami.
- Kamehime (亀姫 Kamehime?)
- Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Japanese), Anastasia Munoz (English)
- The wife of the Dragon King. She disapproves of her husband's fights with Tomoe.
- Yukiji (雪路 Yukiji?)
- Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)
- A beautiful woman with long brown hair that Tomoe had a relationship in the past, but in reality was Nanami who traveled to the past. She barely escaped a yokai attack on her village, causing a deep hatred for yokai. She is also the ancestor of Nanami, who actually helped her when marrying into another family. She later saw Nanami with Tomoe and eventually used their similarities in appearance to ask Tomoe for help when attacked by Akura-Ou. However, Tomoe does not see the eyes of Yukiji during the time that he spends with her, because Yukiji feared that he would know that she was not Nanami after looking into her eyes. She used his protection in order to save the next generation of her and her husband's bloodline.
- Otohiko (乙比古?)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)
- A feminine male wind god. He initially disapproves of Nanami as the land god but acknowledges her after she successfully dispels the miasma that he had released on the shrine.
- Akura-Ou (悪羅王?)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English)
- Akura-Ou, also known as Kirihito, or the evil king, was an infamous yokai that has been living for at least 600 years. He worked with Tomoe, wreaking havoc to the world. They were undefeatable until Tomoe fell in love with the human, Yukiji. After being captured, he was sent to Yomi-no-Kuni and lived there for a long time until the soul of a young, recently deceased, boy named Mori Kirihito came to him and asked him to send an "I'm sorry" message to his parents because they had fought just before his death. Akura-Ou accepted out of boredom and curiosity and hence took up the boy's body, waking in a hospital room and being hugged by 'his' mother. After some time, Akura-Ou regained some of his followers despite being in Kirihito's body. Two of which were two cat-masked shikigami. He soon decided he wanted to get his original body back from Yomi-no-Kuni.
- Kayako fell in love with him sometime after and he used her to try and get into the God's Summit. When she failed, he left her, finding her no longer useful.
- He first met Nanami while she was being chased by the fallen gods. They were angry at her for being a human yet dared to accept the invitation to the God's Summit. Akura-Ou then insulted them as being a lower status than her causing one fallen god to hit him, giving him a serious injury. This angered Nanami who then used Mamoru to repel the gods. She attempted to tend to Akura-Ou's wounds but he refused her help and attempted to kiss her. This made Nanami panic and flee. He then went to Yomotsuhira and opened the Kyo Gan Mon in an attempt to get his body back. However, Nanami and Otohiko came to guard the gates since the original guard was currently at the God's Summit. This disrupted his plans. Tekkimaru, one of his yokai followers, immediately held Akura-Ou hostage in defense so that Otohiko would not attack them due to Akura-Ou being human (though they did not know of him being Akura-Ou). Tekkimaru then jumped into Yomi-no-Kuni believing it will give him an immortal body, bringing Akura-Ou together with him. Immediately, Tekkimaru rotted due to not being a god. Akura-Ou's human body began to rot as well. In fear for his safety, Nanami jumped in after him.
- He woke up before Nanami within the Yomi-no-Kuni. He got a lock of her hair and wrapped it around his wrist to protect him from rotting. Soon they were fetched by the servants of the god of Yomi-no-Kuni, Izanami. Nanami asked Izanami to send them back, she replied that only Nanami could go and that Akura-Ou could not due to his body already being dead. After which, Akura-Ou was snatched up by a giant hand and disappeared one of the cells. He had flashbacks in the darkness and wondered if everything that had happened was only a dream.
- He was soon rescued by Nanami but could not understand why she did so. He hugged her fiercely, marveling at her warmth. She pulls away, saying she belongs to Tomoe, to which he is intrigued by. She led him to the entrance but it was blocked by Ikusagami, the war god. However, they were soon rescued by Tomoe and brought back to the world above. There, he attacks him, but then looks at Nanami and decides to do it another time.
- Voiced by: Wataru Hatano (Japanese), Andrew T. Chandler (English)
- Jiro is currently the fourth chief of Kurama Mountain. The tengu leading all other tengu due to his unsurpassed strength and speed.
- When Sojobo, the third chief, fell ill to an unknown, incurable sickness, Jiro stepped up and took his place.
- On the first few parts, Jiro was known as a cruel leader. He was merciless and banished many other tengu when they showed any sign of weakness. An example was how he had treated Kurama when he had been younger.
- After he met Nanami under the Thousand Year Old Sakura Tree he seemed to develop a crush on her though he refused to admit it. He got distracted thinking of her, hence letting the wards he placed around his temple weaken. According to his servant, Yatori, this was due to chaos within his own heart.
- After discovering Yatori's betrayal, when Nanami was being attacked by the Raijiuyu, he sacrificed himself to save her and confessed his love to her in what he thought were his last words.
Kamisama Kiss began its serialization run in 2008 in the sixth issue of the semi-monthly shōjo manga magazine Hana to Yume. The collected chapters were later republished in tankōbon volumes by Hakusensha with the first volume released on September 19, 2008. North American publisher Viz Media licensed the English language distributions rights at the 2009 New York Anime Festival.
An anime television series adaptation was produced by TMS Entertainment and directed by Akitaro Daichi. It began airing on October 1, 2012. The anime has been licensed for streaming by Funimation Entertainment. The series ended at around the 30th chapter of the manga volume. The opening theme to this anime is Kamisama Hajimemashita by Hanae. There are Two OVA's episodes bundled with the 16th volume of the manga. One of the included episodes will be based on the story from the 15th volume, while the other will contain an all-new original story. First OVAs started on 26 August 2013. Last year's 17th issue of Hakusensha's Hana to Yume magazine announced last August 2014 that Kamisama Kiss (Kamisama Hajimemashita) manga is inspiring a second anime season. This second season began airing in January 2015.
|01||"Nanami Becomes A God"
"Nanami, Kami-sama ni Naru" (奈々生、神様になる)
|October 1, 2012|
|Because of her father's gambling debts he abandons her and leaves her to fend for herself. Homeless, Nanami sits on the park bench when she notices a dog barking at a man who has climbed up a tree. She shoos the dog away and finds out that the man's name is Mikage, and he is deathly afraid of dogs. He asks why Nanami is out all alone. She tells him her story, and he gives her a map to his shrine. Mikage insists that she goes there saying she'll be taken care of, leaving her only with a wave and a kiss on the forehead. Upon her arrival at the shrine, Nanami meets Tomoe, a fox Yokai, along with two fire demon children that are there to serve the land god, who was previously Mikage. They explain that Mikage gave Nanami the Land God mark when he kissed her forehead; Nanami must now take care of the shrine. Tomoe is angry about Mikage leaving for 20 years, refuses to serve her and goes back to the "other" world. In order to take Tomoe back to the temple, Nanami goes to the "other" world, but she decides to leave after hearing that he does not care about the temple. Nanami encounters demons on her way back. to make a contract with Tomoe to become her familiar, Nanami kisses him and orders him to save her from the demons.|
|02||"God Becomes A Target"
"Kami-sama, Nerawareru" (神様、ねらわれる)
|October 8, 2012|
|Nanami wakes up in her room at the temple, and Tomoe explains everything about the temple. Nanami wants to go to school after seeing news about Kurama, an idol, attending her school. Tomoe does not want her to go, but later he allows her to go under the condition that she wears a hood in order to cover the deity mark on her forehead. After Nanami finds out that Kurama is a jerk, she does not like him anymore. Because of this, Kurama calls Nanami to the roof. The real reason he calls her is to try and eat her so that he becomes the Land God, but Tomoe kicks him in the back causing a wound and saves Nanami by turning Kuruma into an ostrich. Tomoe wants to cook Kurama with his fox flame. Instead, Kurama is saved by Nanami and she finds out his true identity: a crow tengu. After she finds out, she orders Tomoe to turn him back to normal. Then Nanami sees his wound and tries to clean it but he tells her to leave it alone, so she grabs his face telling him "I don't like you, but plenty girls out there do, so you wanna look your best for those girls don't you?" So Kurama looks at her and starts to blush and allows her to clean his wound.|
|03||"God Ties The Knot"
"Kami-sama, En o Musubu" (神様、縁をむすぶ)
|October 15, 2012|
|Imperial Priestess of Lake, Isara, who is a catfish, comes to pay respect to Nanami, but Tomoe does not allow Nanami to meet with Isara. He then has an argument with the familiar of Priestess of Lake about Nanami. Nanami comes out and stops the fighting using force through the power of words, which is the power of Land God. The reason of the Priestess coming to visit is to tie her fate to a human boy, Urashima Kotarou, who she met ten years ago at Lake Isara; Nanami promises to help. The next day, Nanami goes to town to look for Kotarou, but Tomoe fears that she will leave like Mikage did. He decides to go with her to town. They find Kotarou at a restaurant. Nanami persuades him to meet the Priestess, and he agrees. They meet at the park and do well at first, but the Priestess is surrounded by bad guys later while Kotarou is gone. Nanami helps him by pushing through the tree with a talisman to save the Priestess.|
|04||"God Gets Kidnapped"
"Kami-sama, Kadowakasareru" (神様、拐かされる)
|October 22, 2012|
|Nanami saves a white snake which is being assaulted by her classmates at school, and it leaves a mark of betrothed on her hand. When Tomoe found out, he goes to school with her because he does not want her to be kidnapped. After finishing the shift to fill up the class log, Nanami goes off first because Tomoe fell asleep, but she is kidnapped by the snake, Mizuki. As she does not want to marry Mizuki, she tries to leave the shrine that he has taken her to, but she cannot. Later, Nanami finds out that the shrines God had died. Mizuki explains what happened. He asks her to stay with him, but Nanami refuses. When Mizuki tries to force her to stay, Tomoe comes to rescue Nanami. Tomoe burns the shrine and also tries to burn the tree that is precious to Mizuki. Tomoe is stopped by Nanami. Nanami and Tomoe go back, but Nanami promises to see Mizuki again when he feels lonely.|
|05||"God Loses Her House"
"Kami-sama, Ie o Ushinau" (神様、家をうしなう)
|October 29, 2012|
|Narukami, god of thunder, has always wanted Tomoe as her familiar. Now that the god he serves is Nanami, a human girl, Narukami sees her chance to take away Nanami's godhood and make Tomoe hers. She tracks Nanami to her school where she steals Nanami's God mark and transforms Tomoe into a child. Without Tomoe at the shrine to take care of it, the shrine promptly falls to pieces which horrifies Narukami. Nanami, who made Narukami promise that if Nanami found Tomoe, Narukami would release him to her and return her God mark. Narukami returns Tomoe back to his rightful size at the end of the episode. Once the God mark is returned and Tomoe is back to his adult self, he kisses Nanami to re-seal the commitment of a familiar, in a sort of gratitude for her helping him. She had refused to leave his side when he was child-sized, and even went so far to ask Kurama to help Tomoe.|
|06||"God Catches A Cold"
"Kami-sama, Kaze o Hiku" (神様、風邪をひく)
|November 5, 2012|
|Nanami stays home with a cold while Tomoe goes to school disguised as her in order to keep her attendance rate from slipping. Mizuki takes advantage of Tomoe's absence to pay Nanami a visit. While there Mizuki shows Nanami a peek of how Tomoe was in the past. Meanwhile, when Tomoe is at school Kurama decides to make a move on "Nanami". One of his tries was speaking in English in her/his place when the teacher called her/him, but Nanami/Tomoe did not appreciate it at all.|
|07||"God Asks A Boy On A Date"
"Kami-sama, Dēto ni Sasou" (神様、デートに誘う)
|November 12, 2012|
|Nanami experiments a little with her divine powers while she struggles to define exactly how she feels about Tomoe. And Kurama, being the yokai who has more experience with humans, offers some words of advice to Tomoe while Ami's friend Kei, gives Nanami advice. However, things do not go as planned. Nanami starts pretending a little childish, which Tomoe points out. Then, on the roof of the aquarium Tomoe abruptly asks her why is she pretending to be childish, To which Nanami confesses to him. He gets angry and picks Nanami up and starts walking on the ledge of the roof and tells her to clear her mind. Nanami asks him "did you never think I am cute?". As Tomoe hears this Nanami slips from his hands and starts falling at breakneck speed. Tomoe jumps off to save Nanami, who uses her god's power of words and orders him not to touch her. Tomoe says he would save her this time and never touch her again. Finally he saves her and Nanami thinks of how much she loves him & how love is so unfair.|
|08||"God Goes To The Beach"
"Kami-sama, Umi e iku" (神様、海へいく)
|November 19, 2012|
|Summer break is here and Nanami goes to the beach with her friends to take her mind off her broken heart. Even so, Tomoe insists on joining the group of girls when Mizuki offered to look after Nanami at the beach since Tomoe at first did not want to go. At first the group had a good start , even seeming seeing Tomoe seeing Nanami as rather cute and getting jealous seeing Mizuki touching Nanami , hinting that Tomoe's feelings for Nanami starts to grow , but Otohiko almost drown Ami until Tomoe goes into the ocean to save her even against his better judgment and the dragon king arrives to collect on a debt.|
|09||"God Goes To The Palace Of The Dragon King"
"Kami-sama, Ryūgūjō ni iku" (神様、竜宮城にいく)
|November 26, 2012|
|Nanami and Mizuki travel back in time to get the eye that Tomoe stole from the Dragon King. They discover that the eye that Tomoe stole was used as a medicine to help Yukiji, Tomoe's past girlfriend. Seeing Tomoe with Yukiji, Nanami feels confused and stunned to see Tomoe in love with another person. When Nanami and Mizuki go back to the present without the eye of the Dragon King, they visit Isohime, a yokai, to retrieve the eye within Nanami's body with a consequence of 30 years off Nanami's life. But Isohime doesn't just want 30 years of Nanami's life: she also wants her god's mark. Whilst recovering the eye, Mizuki kisses Nanami to save her from Isohime and to be her familiar while she was unconscious. Finally having retrieved the eye, they both head down to the Dragon King's kingdom. To their surprise, Tomoe breaks out to fight the Dragon King. Nanami stops the fight and confesses to Tomoe that she doesn't care if he is still in love with Yukiji: she will never stop loving him.|
|10||"Tomoe Becomes a Familiar"
"Tomoe, Shinshi ni naru" (巴衛、神使になる)
|December 3, 2012|
Some of Tomoe's past is revealed and it is shown how he became a familiar and how he met Mikage before Nanami came along. After Mikage left, Tomoe started getting depressed, until Nanami arrived. When Nanami came, Tomoe began to cheer up and not feel so lonely anymore. Back in the present, Nanami goes to a mixer with Ami and Kei her best friends by the request of Kei to get another boyfriend after her other boyfriend dumped her. During the mixer, Nanami finds Mizuki in Ami's bag and grabs his neck and races to the bathroom and asks why he's here and if he's alone. After he explains why he's here, he says he's not alone. Then Tomoe comes in and tells her to enjoy her time as a human. Then a boy she met in the mixer sees her on the floor he asks her what's wrong and brings her outside for some fresh air, then he starts flirting with her and starts holding her hand. When he gets closer, Tomoe kicks him in the back. After the boy ran away, Tomoe grabs Nanami's hand and tells her they are going home.
|11||"The Familiar Goes To Town"
"Shinshi, Machi ni dekakeru" (神使、街にでかける)
|December 10, 2012|
|Mizuki went to town to search for Kurama. While in Tokyo he encounters two ladies selling stickers. He ended up buying one; wasting all his money. Kurama encounters Mizuki getting out of a taxi, and Mizuki starts to cry while hugging Kurama. Mizuki then asks him to lend some money to pay for the taxi. Then Kurama's manager—who was looking for Kurama—shows up. The manager ends up inviting Mizuki to a launch party. During the party, Kurama asks Mizuki, "What are you doing in the city?" and Mizuki returns the question back to Kurama. After, Kurama tells Mizuki to go back to the shrine and tells him, "This city is too big for you". Mizuki gets drunk during the party and a girl—who is mistreated by her employer—goes to help him. Mizuki asks the girl what she is doing in a place where she doesn't belong. The girl replies, "I love it here, I don't want to give up". Mizuki then comes to his senses again and gives the girl his sake, a wsake that will purify her and others. Meanwhile, Nanami is preparing for a date at the Ferris wheel with Tomoe because she thinks that he promised to go with her (but he never did). When she enters his room he's still not ready yet. Due to Nanami's anger she searched Tomoe's room for porn magazines but ends up finding an elegant and beautiful hair pin. She then asks Tomoe about the hairpin and its owner. Without answering, Tomoe snatches the hairpin out of Nanami's hands and agrees to go. During the date, Nanami keeps questioning Tomoe to whom the hairpin belonged, but Tomoe keeps on diverting the question. Nanami then remembers the scene with Yukiji and mistakenly thinks that the hairpin belonged to Yukiji. Due to some screaming people that Tomoe heard, Nanami (who was forced to ride on it) and Tomoe ride the roller coaster. When the ride was over Nanami's hair was all messed up and Tomoe asked if he can fix her hair. In her amazement she asked Tomoe how he managed to fix it in such a short time without any hairpins. Tomoe replied, "I just used 1 hairpin" and continued by saying, "It really suits you". After Nanami bought nuggets she saw Tomoe holding a girl, and due to a misunderstanding, she threw the nuggets at Tomoe then ran away. She ended up in the Ferris wheel alone, banging her head during the ride and blaming herself for being mad at Tomoe and wanting to ride the Ferris wheel together with him. Her hair then becomes undone and Nanami finally sees the hairpin that Tomoe was hiding from her. Tomoe found Nanami (who was still in the Ferris wheel) and told her, "You wanted to ride this ride, then smile". While looking at Tomoe's reflection on the window glass, Nanami thanked Tomoe.|
|12||"Nanami Quits Being a God"
"Nanami, Kami-sama o Yameru" (奈々生、神様をやめる)
|December 17, 2012|
|While Nanami was at the store, she overhears two women talking about the shrine and claiming that it was rundown and haunted. Nanami gets upset, yells at the two ladies, and leaves the store. She meets Tomoe, who was on top of a branch. Curious, Nanami asks why he was up there. He tells her he's debating whether to cut the branch down or not since it was already wrapping around the Torii. Nanami tells Tomoe what the women had said and she then decides to hold a festival. Tomoe declines the idea but the shrine spirits and Mizuki seem to like the idea so he decides to not be a part of it. While Nanami passes out posters advertising the festival, Mizuki and the shrine spirits clean the shrine. Kurama passes by and gives Nanami a gift for the festival. Afterwards, he tells her about the Kagura dance that she has to do during the festival. Tomoe gives her the kimono she has to wear and helps her put it on. After he sees her with the whole thing on, he tells her that she looks very beautiful, causing Nanami to start blushing. Later, Otohiko stops by and releases some miasma into the air, testing whether Nanami can purify it or not. After many failed attempts, she gives up, and Tomoe and Mizuki find Nanami and take her to her room. Tomoe says that she is to stay there. After, Nanami recalls everything. She realizes she is not needed and she starts to cry. Tomoe senses something wrong, goes into her room and finds her not there. Tomoe starts to remember the same thing happening with Mikage, so he screams her name and a box in the shed filled with miasma rips open.|
|13||"I Became a God"
"Kamisama Hajimemashita" (神様はじめました)
|December 24, 2012|
|While Tomoe and Mizuki are looking for Nanami, they leave the shrine spirits to fend off the miasma by themselves. While looking for her, Tomoe sends his fire foxes to help find her. When they come back, they say they can't find her. Tomoe gets angry, so they go off to try to find her again. Then Tomoe figures out that Nanami used the talisman to turn into air. After Nanami recalls a bit of the first episode she realizes that Mikage shrine is her home and she returns. Then she starts to fight the monster Mikage had put away in the box. After she completely defeats it, she faints on Tomoe's lap. Then the next day, they have their festival and Nanami does her Kagura dance in front of everyone. Then they go home and start drinking some Sake. Mizuki says Nanami's dance was beautiful. After he and the shrine spirits try to make some Sake, Nanami asks Tomoe how her dance was and he says it was good then she starts asking "anything else" and he says it was very beautiful in a little voice. She pretends not to hear and asks Tomoe to say it again. However, Tomoe gets annoyed and turns his head. She laughs and says she heard and that she's glad. Then Tomoe asks if he can seal the seal to become a familiar (a kiss) and a confused Nanami informs him that it's already sealed. But Tomoe tells her that this time, it's from the bottom of his heart. Then he proceeds to kiss her.|
|01||"I've Started the 'Being a God' of the Mikage Shrine,"
"Kami-sama Hajimemashita" (神様はじめました)
|January 5, 2015|
|Nanami is invited to the annual gathering of the gods in Izumo, but on the one condition that she must pass a test administered by Otohiko.|
|02||"The God Goes to Izumo"
"Kami-sama, Izumo e Iku" (神様、出雲へいく)
|January 12, 2015|
|After Nanami passes Otohiko's test, Tomoe begins arguing with Mizuki over which one will attend the Divine Assembly with Nanami. Meanwhile, Nanami unknowingly encounters Tomoe's old master trapped in human form. As all this is happening, Nanami continues to have doubts about her worth as a land god.|
|03||"The God Falls into the Netherworld"
"Kami-sama, Yomi ni Ochiru" (神様、黄泉におちる)
|January 26, 2015|
|Okuninushi, the god hosting the Divine Assembly, asks Nanami to go handle a situation happening on the border between the worlds of the living and the dead.|
|04||"The God Races Across the Netherworld"||February 2, 2015|
|Izanami imprisons Kirihito and refuses to allow Nanami to return to the surface with him. Nanami must decide how much she believes in her own powers and what she is willing to risk to save him.|
|05||"The God Makes Her Second Romantic Confession"||February 9, 2015|
|Nanami is back at the Palace of the Gods where it is the 4th day of the Gathering of the Gods festival at Izumo. Tomoe has been imprisoned by Okuninushi for returning to his Yokai form. Ignoring Okuninushi's orders, Nanami rushes over to the prison where Tomoe is in chains. Rather than be rescued by Nanami, Tomoe tells her he will decide if he will return to her service as her familiar. Nanami accepts this and makes a deal with another god for peach pills as a parting gift, delivered by Mizuki. Tomoe asks Mizuki if his feelings for Nanami are a result of the magic binding him as a familiar, but Mizuki explains it's because Tomoe has romantic feelings for Nanami. Tomoe tests this premise and learns it's true, but this only irritates him and as such, he does not tell Nanami. Tomoe is forgiven by Okuninushi after becoming Nanami's familiar again, and Nanami helps the other gods with their duties, and finally getting a chance to talk to Mikage again. Nanami asks Mikage why she was put together with Tomoe, and Mikage explains he wants to rekindle Tomoe's concern for humanity through his interactions with Nanami. (There's a scene where Tomoe drinks sake intended for Nanami. The other gods appear shocked, possibly because Tomoe is a familiar and not a god - or simply an extension of them calling him a "demon fox".)|
|06||"The God Meets a Little Tengu"||February 16, 2015|
|Okininushi thanks Nanami for performing so well in Izumo and says that she can go back to her shrine feeling proud. Nanami gets a little depressed when Okininushi says that Yokai and humans could never be joined together and so she asks Mizuki and Tomoe to return without her. She goes on a day out with Himemiko where she discusses her feelings about Tomoe. Himemiko advises her to enjoy her time with Tomoe as she is only human and Tomoe will never age. On the way home from school, Nanami walks on a child tengu called Botanwaru who is looking for 'Mr. Shinjiro'. After Tomoe is mean to Botanwaru because he can't fly, Nanami tries to help him. While searching for Mr Shinjiro, Botanwaru sees a poster on a building and tells Nanami that it is Mr Shinjiro. Nanami is shocked to see that Mr. Shinjiro is actually Kurama. Nanami takes Botanwaru to Kurama's concert where they watch him sing.|
|07||"The God Goes to Mount Kurama"||February 23, 2015|
|Kurama returns to Mount Kurama with Nanami and Tomoe to take Botanmaru home and see if he can help is ailing father.|
|08||"The God Sneaks In"||March 2, 2015|
|Kurama's father is sick, but there is no easy way to get in to see him, so the gang must devise a way to get past Jiro's defenses.|
|09||"The God Is Blindsided"||March 9, 2015|
|The ruse is simple. Nanami confers her godly powers to Kurama, so he can pretend to be a god, someone Jiro cannot turn away from the gates. While Kurama and Tomoe distract Jiro, Nanami sneaks in to deliver the cure.|
|10||"The God Receives a Romantic Confession"||March 16, 2015|
|Nanami has successfully cast a barrier spell around the encampment making it hers. She follows her white talisman that leads her to the location of the Sojobo's soul. Jiro finds her and enters a dark cave within the encampment where the tengu are not allowed in as it holds the great thunder beast that disabled Suiro. Jiro ends up protecting Nanami from the beast and in the process is badly wounded but finally confesses his love for her. Tomoe comes in and defeats the beast which contained the Sojobo's soul. Afterwards, the Sojobo awakens and Nanami gives some of her peach pills to Jiro so that he can recover. The mountain gradually heals and an eternal cherry blossom celebration commences. Jiro takes Nanami high up into the cherry blossom tree and wishes for her to remain in the tengu village forever. Nanami declines so he wishes for her to stay with him for a little while longer so that he may always remember her with the cherry blossoms. Near the end of the episode, Nanami gets drunk and Tomoe carries her on his back when she says that she loves him very much. After she falls asleep, Tomoe replies that he loves her back too.|
|11||"The God Goes Back to Being a Child"||March 23, 2015|
|Kirihito goes to the netherworld to get back his old body while his 2 servants guard his house and Yatori follows him but unable to do so, so they return back until the netherworld flames comes out. Determined, Kirihito goes to get back his body even if it means going back to the netherworld. Meanwhile at Nanami's house, Nanami receives a proposal to host a wedding about Himemiko and Mizuki encourages her much to the dismay of Tomoe. At the 3 gates, Nanami goes to her gate despite Tomoe's words while Tomoe and Mizuki keeps on arguing over her. Tomoe and Mizuki were surprised to see Nanami(In her child form) but she doesn't recognize them.|
|12||"The God Receives a Marriage Proposal"||March 30, 2015|
|This is the finale of Season 2. Tomoe and Mizuki watched Chibi Nanami's childhood memories and Tomoe takes Nanami away much to Mizuki's dismay. After a few confusing words from Nanami, she asked Tomoe if he loves her, which he agrees then asks if he wants to propose to her, Nanami agrees also. Just then, Mizuki appears carrying Nanami and Tomoe was disgusted that Chibi Nanami's words are only in Adult Nanami's fantasy then the 3 of them goes to the Year God Shrine. They arrived at the shrine but it's blocked by the Lord Year God's sheep wool so Nanami calms it down while Lord Year God trims its wool. After receiving his talisman, he also gives her a picture of her mom and this is a happy ending for the show despite the argument between Mamoru, Mizuki, and Tomoe and also Nanami trying to remember who's the one that made a promise to her in her child form.|
- "Kamisama Kiss/Kamisama Hajimemashita Manga Gets 2nd Anime Season". Anime News Network. August 1, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "2nd Kamisama Hajimemashita Anime's Additional Cast, January Premiere Unveiled". Anime News Network. October 31, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- 神様はじめました 1 [Kamisama Kiss 1] (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "Viz Gets Gente, Library Wars, Grand Guignol Orchestra, Nice to Meet You, Kamisama". Anime News Network. September 27, 2009. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "神様はじめました 1" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 2" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 2". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 3" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 3". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 4" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 4". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 5" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 5". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 6" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 6". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 7" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 7". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 8" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 8". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 9" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 9". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 10" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 10". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 11" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 11". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 12" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 12". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 13" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 13". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 14" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 14". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 15" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 15". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 16" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 16". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 17" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 17". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 18" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 18". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 19" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 19". VIZ Media. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 20" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "神様はじめました 21" (in Japanese). Hakusensha. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Kamisama Hajimemashita Shōjo Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. July 3, 2012. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Funimations Streams Code:Breaker, Jormungand, Kamisama Kiss, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, OniAi". Anime News Network. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- ストーリー [Story] (in Japanese). Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- ストーリー [Story] (in Japanese). Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- Kamisama Kiss at Viz Media
- Kamisama Kiss (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Kamisama Kiss (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Official Web Side at TV Tokyo (Japanese)