A Kamoshika service at Aomori Station in September 2007
|Service type||Limited express|
|First service||1986 (Express)|
1997 (Limited express)
|Distance travelled||185.8 km (115.5 mi)|
|Average journey time||2 hours 36 minutes|
|Service frequency||6 daily|
|Line(s) used||Ōu Main Line|
|Class(es)||Green + standard|
|Rolling stock||485 series EMU|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||20 kV AC|
|Operating speed||95 km/h (60 mph)|
The Kamoshika (かもしか, lit. "Japanese Serow") was a limited express train service in Japan operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) which ran between Akita and Aomori via the Ōu Main Line. The service was discontinued from December 2010.
There were three services in each direction daily, stopping at the following stations.
Trains were normally formed of three-car 485 series EMUs based at Akita depot, sometimes strengthened to six cars during busy seasons. Green car (first class) accommodation was included in car 1.
The trains were formed as follows, with car 1 at the Akita end.
|Numbering||KuRoHa 481||MoHa 484||KuMoHa 485|
The Kamoshika was first introduced on 1 November 1986 as an express service operating between Kami-Suwa, Iida, and Nagano. This service was discontinued from the start of the revised timetable on 13 March 1988.
The Kamoshika name was revived from March 1997 as a limited express service operating between Akita and Aomori, replacing the former Tazawa limited express service which ran between Morioka and Aomori via Akita before the Akita Shinkansen was opened.
From the start of the revised timetable on 4 December 2010, the Kamoshika services were discontinued, replaced by Tsugaru services, formerly operating between Hachinohe and Hirosaki, which were rerouted to operate between Aomori and Akita.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. 2008. p. 80. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- JR Timetable, March 2010 issue, p.100
- 日本と世界の鉄道カタログ'97~'98 [Japan and World Railway Catalogue 1997-1998] (in Japanese). Japan: Seibido Publishing. 17 August 1997. p. 146. ISBN 4-415-09254-3.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995. p. 124.
- こだわりの新幹線＆特急列車ガイド [In-depth Shinkansen & Limited Express Guide]. Japan: Ikaros Publishing. August 2000. ISBN 4-87149-284-2.
- 12月4日ダイヤ改正後の青森地区列車運転体系 [ Operating pattern of Aomori area trains following 4 December timetable revision]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. Vol. 39 no. 320. Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. December 2010. pp. 24–25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamoshika.|
- JR East 485 series "Kamoshika" (in Japanese)