Kampala Hilton Hotel
|Kampala Hilton Hotel|
Kampala Hilton Hotel, Nakasero Hill, November 2010
|Owner||Aya Investments Limited|
|Floor area||32,000 square metres (340,000 sq ft)|
|Number of rooms||238|
|Number of suites||37|
The hotel is located in Central Kampala on Nakasero Hill. The building stands on a 14 acres (5.7 ha) site that was previously occupied by the state's television stations. The elevation of the site is approximately 1,240 metres (4,070 ft) above sea level, making it one of the highest points in the city. The coordinates of the hotel are 0°19'25.0"N, 32°34'43.0"E (Latitude:0.323611; Longitude:32.578611).
Aya Investments Limited, a subsidiary of the Aya Group, has been working on the 24-story building since 2006. Because of cash shortages and administrative difficulties, the hotel took much longer to complete, with many missed deadlines and multiple postponements of the opening date. When completed, it will be the tallest completed building in the city, at 23 storeys and about 90 metres (300 ft) in height. As of November 2013[update], the Hilton hotel chain had 37 operational properties in Africa, with another 17 in development.
In February 2011, Mise Design Group LLC., based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, was awarded the contract to design the food and beverage services of the hotel. Mise will design the hotel’s eight dining facilities, including a sports bar, lobby lounge and bar, banquet facility, bakery, staff canteen, pool bar, coffee shop, and a specialty restaurant. In June 2013, the Aya Group appointed FEBC International, a global hospitality, procurement, and project management company, to act as "Procurement Management Consultant for Operating Supplies and Equipment" (OS&E) services for the hotel. In December 2013, the Hilton Hotels & Resorts denied rumors that they had pulled out of the deal with the Aya Group due to construction delays. They instead reiterated that they are working closely with the owners to complete the construction and open the franchise to the public.
- Olingo, Allan (6 December 2014). "Global Hotel Chains Invest In East Africa's Growing Tourism Sector". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Musoke, Ronald (22 November 2015). "Hilton on the hilltop". The Independent (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- AyaGroupAfrica (3 October 2013). "Aya's Hilton - Kampala's First Real 5-Star Hotel". Aya Group Africa. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- UTG. "Profile of Nakasero Hill". Uganda Travel Guide (UTG). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Google. "Location of Kampala Hilton Hotel At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Nakaweesi, Dorothy (20 December 2007). "Hilton Kampala Works Resume". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Biryabarema, Elias (14 May 2008). "Hilton Hotel Kampala to Be Ready Next Year". Daily Monitor via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Mubangizi, Michael (6 September 2012). "Hilton Hotel Set to Open In March 2013". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Dreisinger, Baz (15 August 2013). "Overcoming the Past In Lively Kampala". New York Times. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Mulupi, Dinfin (9 October 2013). "Hilton Hotels Sets Its Sights Firmly On Expansion Across Africa". HowWeMadeItInAfrica.com. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Donohoe, Miles (12 October 2009). "Hilton Hotels Has Big Plans for Africa". TradeInvestAfrica.com. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Newvision, Reporter (29 April 2012). "I Juggled Business, Books At Eight Years". New Vision. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Press Release (22 February 2011). "Philadelphia Restaurant Design Company Mise Design Group, LLC Acquires Design Contract for New Hilton Hotel In Uganda". PR.com. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Press, Release (13 November 2013). "FEBC International Appointed by Aya Group of Companies for Hilton Hotel, Kampala, Uganda". PressReleaseNetwork.com (PRN). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- EABW (16 December 2013). "Hilton In Kampala Still On Schedule". East African Business Week. Retrieved 7 July 2014.