Kampala International University
|Motto||Exploring the Heights|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Peter. K. Tibenderana|
|Campus||Main Campus, Urban
Western Campus, Rural
|Website||Kampala International University|
KIU has its main campus at Kansanga, a location in Makindye Division in the southeastern part of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The campus is approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) southeast of Kampala's central business district, along the road to Ggaba. The coordinates of the campus are 0°17'41.0"N, 32°36'13.0"E (Latitude:0.294722; Longitude:32.603611).
KIU was founded in 2001. It received its university charter in March 2009. In August 2009, KIU was ranked 58th among African universities and 6,510th among international universities by Webometrics.
Academic colleges, schools, and institutes
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
KIU's main campus has four constituent colleges and two schools:
- College of Education, Open and Distance Learning
- College of Computing and Information Technology
- College of Higher Degrees and Research
- College of Professional and Extramural Studies
- School of Law
- School of Economics and Management
This is the largest of the three campuses, hosting more than 7,000 students and over 300 academic staff.
This campus houses over 5,000 students supervised by over 200 academic staff.
Certificate, diploma, undergraduate, and postgraduate programs are offered at this campus. It is predominantly a science-based institution.
The School of Health Sciences is located on the western campus. The school is one of Uganda's seven medical schools, and it was the first privately owned medical school in the country. The school offers programmes in medicine, dentistry, nursing, medical laboratory technology, education, business, and management and information technology. The school has a teaching hospital with a bed capacity of 1,200.
Dar es Salaam campus
This campus is housed on a 100 acres (40 ha) piece of land in the Gongolamboto area in Ilala District, along Pugu Road. The campus is approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) from Julius Nyerere International Airport.
2013 government investigation
In 2013, the Ugandan National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) began an investigation into whether the 42 Doctorates of Philosophy (PhDs) awarded by KIU up to that time had met NCE's requirements. At the end of the investigation in November 2013, NCE declared that the PhDs were legitimate.
- Education in Uganda
- List of universities in Uganda
- List of university leaders in Uganda
- List of medical schools in Uganda
- List of business schools in Uganda
- Google, . "Location of Kampala International University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Ishaka With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Okurut, Karooro (17 March 2009). "KIU Didn't Start Climbing The Tree From The Top". New Vision. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Ashabahebwa, Edson (4 August 2009). "Well Done, Kampala International University". New Vision. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Natukunda, Carol (29 August 2007). "KIU Medical School Accredited". New Vision. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Muhwezi, Wilber (28 November 2010). "Basajjabalaba To Build Medical School In Kenya". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Ahimbisibwe, Chris (27 July 2009). "Basajja Given USh4 Billion for Hospital". New Vision. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- The Citizen, Reporter (7 May 2013). "TCU Suspends Postgraduate Courses At KIU". The Citizen (Tanzania). Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Wanambwa, Richard (13 November 2013). "NCHE Okays KIU PhDs". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Kampala International University Homepage
- Kampala International University - Dar es Salaam College Homepage
- Know Your Hood : Kansanga, This Sprawling Neighbourhood Is The Hub For University Students