Kampala International University School of Health Sciences
|Motto||Exploring the heights|
|Deputy Vice Chancellor||Professor Patrick Kyamanywa|
|Location||Ishaka, Bushenyi District, Uganda
|Affiliations||Kampala International University|
Kampala International University School of Health Sciences (KIUSHS), is the school of health sciences of Kampala International University, a private Ugandan university. The school provides health sciences education at the diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The school's campus is located in the town of Ishaka, in Bushenyi District, Western Uganda, approximately 330 kilometres (210 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's largest city and capital. The campus is also referred to as Kampala International University Western Campus, to distinguish it from Kampala International University Main Campus, located in Kansanga, Makindye Division, Kampala. The coordinates of Kampala International University's Western Campus are:0°32'19.0"S, 30°08'40.0"E (Latitude:-0.538611; Longitude:30.144444).
The school was established in 2004 and admitted the first batch of students that year. Those pioneer students, numbering twenty-three, graduated in 2010. The students at the school come from Uganda and other African countries, especially Kenya. The school is licensed to teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Human Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Nursing. KIU School of Health Sciences is recognised by the medical and dental licensing boards in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Faculty are sourced from Uganda, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria and the Philippines.
The school is affiliated with the following hospitals, for the purposes of teaching its students:
- KIU Teaching Hospital - Ishaka
- Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital - Fort Portal
- Hoima Regional Referral Hospital - Hoima
- Mubende Regional Referral Hospital - Mubende
- Kiryandongo General Hospital - Kiryandongo
The school maintains the following faculties:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Social Science
The following diploma courses are offered at KIU Western Campus:
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Community Health (Dip.CM&CH
- Diploma in Nursing Science] (Dip.NS)
- Diploma in Pharmacy (Dip.Pharm)
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT)
The following undergraduate courses are offered at KIUSHS:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Clinical Medicine & Community Health. (BSc.CMCH)
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
- Bachelor of Science in Anatomy (Bsc.Anat)
- Bachelor of Science in Physiology (BSc.Physiol)
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry (BSc.BC)
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology (BSc.Pharmcol)
As of June 2011[update], the school offers the following postgraduate courses:
- Master of Science in Microbiology (MSc.Microbiol.)
- Master of Science in Human Anatomy (MSc.Anat.)
- Master of Science in Physiology (MSc.Physiol.
- Master of Science in Biochemistry (MSc.Biochem.)
- Master of Science in Pharmacology (MSc.Pharmacol.)
- Master of Science in Public Health (MSc.Pub.Hlth.)
- Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine (M.Med.Med.)
- Master of Medicine in Surgery (M.Med.Surg.)
- Master of Medicine in Paediatrics & Child Health (M.Med.Paed.)
- Master of Medicine in Obstetrics & Gynaecology (M.Med.Obs/Gyn.)
- Natukunda, Carol (29 August 2007). "KIU Medical School Accredited". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Ishaka With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Google, . "Location of KIU Western Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Aruho, Paul (11 August 2010). "KIU Western Campus Outs First Batch of Doctors". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Patience Ahimbisibwe, Emmanuel Ainebyona (19 June 2016). "EAC probe queries medical training in Ugandan varsities". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 22 June 2016.