Kampala Southern Bypass Highway
|Kampala Southern Bypass Highway|
|Length||11 mi (18 km)|
Designated in 2016 (Expected)|
Expected completion in 2026
|Roads in Uganda|
The Kampala Southern Bypass Highway is a proposed four-lane, dual carriage highway in the Central Region of Uganda, connecting, Bweyogerere, in the Wakiso District, to Munyonyo in the Makindye Division of Kampala, the largest city and capital of Uganda.
The road would start at Bweyogerere on the Kampala–Jinja Expressway, near Mandela National Stadium at Namboole. It would pass through Butabika, Luzira, and Kyeyitabya, to end at Munyonyo, where it would join the southern spur of the Entebbe–Kampala Expressway. The approximate coordinates of the highway at Bweyogerere would be 0°21'04.0"N, 32°39'45.0"E (Latitude:0.351117; Longitude:32.662496). The Kampala Southern Bypass would measure approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi).
As part of efforts to decongest Kampala, a southern bypass similar to the Kampala Northern Bypass Highway has been proposed. The road would form an arc through the city's southeastern suburbs. It would join the southern spur of the Entebbe–Kampala Expressway, which traverses the southeastern suburbs of the city, to form a semi-circle. The road would be a toll road and would be tendered, constructed, and owned by the consortium that will own, manage, and operate the Kampala–Jinja Expressway.
Originally, the tender for this road together with that for the Kampala–Jinja Expressway were planned to be advertised in May 2015. Once construction starts, the combined 95 kilometres (59 mi) Kampala–Jinja Expressway/Kampala Southern Bypass Highway is projected to take 10 years to construct.
It is estimated that the Kampala Southern Bypass Highway would cost approximately US$250 million (about UGX:664 billion) to build.
- Ogwang, Joel (23 October 2013). "Ugandan government joins World Bank to build $1.5b road projects". Kampala: AfricanInvestor.com Quoting New Vision. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Baguma, Raymond (29 October 2012). "Eight-lane Jinja-Kampala highway in plan". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Andrew Bagala, and Lilian Namagembe (1 July 2014). "Southern Bypass to connect through Luzira". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Rwothungeyo, Billy (28 April 2015). "Kampala-Jinja Expressway tender to be advertised in May". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Google (12 February 2016). "Approximate location of Kampala Southern Bypass Highway At Bweyogerere" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- UNRA (12 February 2016). "Uganda Roads PPP Projects: Kampala Southern Bypass - 18km". Kampala: Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA). Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Uganda National Road Authority Homepage
- Ugandan Government Increases Road Network Funding
- Uganda: Work On Shs5 Trillion Jinja Expressway to Start in March 2016