||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
She is famous for having adopted at least 6 oryx calves, and fighting off predators and lion prides which attempted to eat her charges. She suffered starvation, since the calves will not act like lion cubs and wait somewhere while she hunts for food.
Her story was recorded by Saba Douglas-Hamilton and her sister, Dudu, between January 2002 - August 2003. Their film, Heart of a Lioness, was first shown on the BBC and later premiered in the United States on Animal Planet in March 2005. Video clips from this film can be accessed on the Discovery Channel website, together with audio interviews with pictures and an extensive discussion.
She was last sighted in February 2004, and despite a number of searches, has not been seen since.
- Saba & Dudu Douglas-Hamilton website - produced a film "Heart of a Lioness" based on Kamunyak's story
- discovery.com - Animal Planet fansite for Heart of a Lioness, including videos, interviews and discussion
- Magical Kenya News Article - 7 January 2002
- Magical Kenya News Article - 18 February 2002
- Magical Kenya News Article - 11 March 2002
- Magical Kenya News Article - 1 April 2002
- Magical Kenya News Article - 10 October 2002
- Magical Kenya News Article
- Carte Blanche Interactive article - 2 March 2003