A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kanak Chapa in 2019
Rumana Morshed Kanak Chapa
11 September 1969
|Occupation||Politician, Singer, writer|
Kanak Chapa (née Rumana Morshed Kanak Chapa; born 11 September 1969) is a Bangladeshi singer. She received the Bangladesh National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer three times, for her performance in the films Love Story (1995), Premer Taj Mahal (2001) and Ek Takar Bou (2008). She published her autobiography Sthobir Jajabor in 2011 and a poetry book Mukhomukhi Joddha in 2012.
Early life and career
Kanak Chapa was born as Rumana Morshed on 11 September 1969 in Dhaka in the then East Pakistan to Azizul Huque Morshed and Momena Jahan. She is the third among five siblings. She got her first music lessons from her father. During her career, she sang almost 3 thousand songs and released over 30 solo albums. In 1978 she performed in television for the first time. As a child singer she became champion in Notun Kuri in the year 1978. She received championship award for "Jatiyo Shishu Protijogita" for three years in a row. She was under the guidance of artist Ustad Basir Ahmed for 12 years.
From a very little age, Kanak Chapa’s father gave her the initial training in singing. Morshed was an amateur singer and also a painter who was a student of Zainul Abedin. Kanak Chapa was born a conservative family. So her singing was not welcomed eventually. Her mother is Momena Jahan. Kanak Chapa completed her school from Madartek Abdul Aziz High School. Later she went to Viqarunnisa Noon School and College for her HSC.
Kanak Chapa is married to music director and composer Mainul Islam Khan since 1984.
Kanak Chapa competed from the Sirajganj-1 constituency in the 2018 Bangladeshi general election with the nomination from Bangladesh Nationalist Party and lost to Mohammed Nasim from Bangladesh Awami League.
She sang more than 3500 songs, did playback in about 2000 films. About 40 albums of her had been released and till now they are very popular. She had performed in more than 4000 stage shows. She had shared the stage with the likes of Subir Nandi, Andrew Kishore, Kumar Bishwajit, Munir Khan and other artists of Bangladesh.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Abar Eshechi Firey (2011)
- Poddo Pata (2013)
- Arale (2014)
- Poddo Pukor (2015)
- Sthobir Jajabor (2011)
- Mukhomukhi (2012)
- Megher Danay Chore (2016)
- Notable songs
- Chokher Vitor Swapno Thake
- Kichu Kichu Manusher Jibone
- Koto Manush Vober Bajare
- Tumi Amar Emoni Ekjon
- Ekdin Tomake Na Dekhle
- Bajare Jachai Kore Dekhinito Daam
- Elo Melo Chule Lalater Vaj
- Amar Premer Tajmohol
- Onek Sadhonar Pore Ami
- Ononto Prem Tumi Dao Amake
- Je Deshete Sahid Minar
|Single||"Aayre Aay Dhan Shaliker Gaay "|
|Single||"Amay Eto Raate"|
|Single||"Bhromor Koiyo Giya"|
|"Akash Prodeep Jole"||Lata Mangeshkar||Satinath Mukherjee|
|"Akashe Aaj Ronger Khela"||Asha Bhosle|
|"Jare Ure Jare Pakhi"||Lata Mangeshkar||Salil Choudhury|
|"Ogo Aar KLichuto Noy"||Lata Mangeshkar||Salil Chowdhury|
|"Ami Tar Chholonay Vulbo na"||Sanndhya Mukherjee||Robin Chatterjee|
|"Kotha Hoyechilo"||Asha Bhosle||R. D. Burman|
|"Ami Mela Theke"||Pratima Banerjee|
|"Emon Ekta Jhinuk"||Nirmala Mishra|
|"Jole Bhasha Poddo Ami"||Pratima Banerjee|
|"Ogo Brishti Amar"||Haimanti Shukla|
|"O Tota Pakhire"||Nirmala Mishra|
|"Kichukhon Aro Nahoy"||Sandhya Mukherjee|
|"Moyna Go"||Lata Mangeshkar||Salil Chowdhury|
|Single||"Aaj Bikeler Daake"|
|Single||"Aaj Tobe Eituku Thak"|
|Single||"Bansh Baganer Mathar Upor"|
|Single||"Ami Obujher Moto"|
|Single||"Nisshas Amar Tumi"||Asif Akbar|
|Single||"Tomar Majhe Ami"||Asif|
|Single||"Notun Chander Notun Alo"||Andrew Kishore|
|Single||"O Saathire"||Andrew Kishore|
|Single||"Saathi Peyechi"||Andrew Kishore|
|Single||"Shoto Bochor Aage"||Andrew Kishore|
|Single||"Ei Raat Okkhoy Hok"||Rafiquzzaman||Kumar Sanu|
|Single||"Kokila Eibuke Keno"||Kumar Biswajit|
|Kothin protishodh||"Tumi Bhalobasha Amari"||Kumar Biswajit|
|Single||"Shojoni Amito Tomay Bhulini"||Tapan Chowdhury|
|Single||"Chitay Tule Dile"|
|Single||"Nilanjona NMame Dekona"|
|Single||"Shawono Raate Jodi"||Kazi Nazrul Islam||Kazi Nazrul Islam|
|Single||"Adho Raate Jodi Ghum Bhenge Jaay"|
|Single||"Akasher Oi Mitimiti Tarar Sone"|
|Dukjhini Johura||"Amar Mon Churi Koira Nao"|
|Single||"Tumi Basor Ghore"||Andrew Kishore|
|Single||"Tomake Kotokhani Chai"||Monir Khan|
|Single||"Koto Dukkho Diya Doyal"||Monir Khan|
|Single||"Prem Sotti"||Monir Khan|
|Single||"Royecho Hridoye"||Monir Khan|
|Single||"Haste Haste Morbo"||Monir Khan|
|Single||"Phuler Jemon Modhu Thake"|
|Single||"Ekta Second Onek Somoy"||S I Tutul|
- Kata Ghori-1, 2
- Sei Pothe Jau
- Megher Danay Corre
- Sthobir Jajabor
- Mukhomukhi Joddha
Kanak Chapa is involved with social organizations named "Potho Shishuder Chayatol", "Amra Khati Gorib" and "Matrisodon". She has been running an online school named "Amader Khelaghor School" for about eight years.
|1995||National Film Awards||Best Female Playback Singer||Love Story||Won|
|2001||National Film Awards||Best Female Playback Singer||Premer Taj Mahal||Won|
|2008||National Film Awards||Best Female Playback Singer||Ek Takar Bou||Won|
|1999||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2000||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2001||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2002||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|1999||Bachsas Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2000||Bachsas Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2001||Bachsas Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2008||Bachsas Awards||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
|2012||Ifad Film Club Award||Best Singer (Female)||Won|
11th Channel i Music Awards
- Best Modern Song - won
- আমি একজন কণ্ঠশ্রমিক : কনকচাঁপা [I am a voice-worker : Kanak Chapa] (in Bengali). NTV.
- "Kanak Chapa on tonight's Priyo Shilpir Shera Gaan". The Daily Star. 13 June 2009.
- "Kanak Chapa to perform only on Desh TV this Eid". The New Nation.
- সংরক্ষিত আসনে মনোনয়ন চান কনকচাঁপা. Prothom Alo (in Bengali).
- "A special day for Kanak Chapa today". The Independent. Dhaka.
- "A new chapter for Kanak Chapa". The Daily Star. 25 February 2012. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "BBC Bangla - খবর - গান-গল্পঃ শিল্পী কনক চাঁপা". BBC Bangla. BBC Bangla. 23 November 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Singer Kanak Chapa s first solo show ends tomorrow". theindependentbd.com. theindependentbd. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "ছোটবেলায় খুব দুষ্টু ছিলেন কনকচাঁপা - NTV". NTV Bangladesh. NTV. 27 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "সিলেটভিউকে সাক্ষাতকার: নিজেকে ভূত বলে মনে হয় কনকচাঁপার". sylhetview24. sylhetview24. 24 January 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Heart to heart with Kanak and Mainul". The Daily Star. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- Ahmed, Bulbul. "Mohammed Nasim wins Sirajganj-1 seat". Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "শুভ জন্মদিন গানের নন্দিত মানুষ মিল্টন খন্দকার - Jagonews24". Jagonews24. Jagonews24. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "A special day for Kanak Chapa today". theindependentbd.com. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "জাতীয় চলচ্চিত্র পুরস্কার প্রাপ্তদের নামের তালিকা (১৯৭৫-২০১২)" [List of the winners of National Film Awards (1975-2012)]. Government of Bangladesh (in Bengali). Bangladesh Film Development Corporation. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- Shilpi Mahalanobish (2003-12-31). "The year that was! Year 2003 was an overall success:Kanak Chanpa". The Daily Star. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Shakib, Apu bag best actor awards". Daily Sun. 9 July 2013. Archived from the original on 16 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2014.