This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elevation||2,590 m (8,500 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||UK 07, UK 09|
Kanatal is a small village in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Kanatal is 78 km from Dehradun (capital of the State Uttarakhand), 38 km from Mussoorie and 12 km from Chamba. It is on the Chamba-Mussoorie road and nearly 300 km from Delhi..
A few decades ago[when?] there used to be a lake by the name of Kanatal; now it dried up and hence the name Kanatal, which literally means "one eyed lake" in Hindi.
Surkanda Devi is a temple in Kaddukhal, dedicated to Sati. Surkanda is where the head of Sati was fallen off after Shiva carried her on his trishool from Kankhal, Haridwar after she set herself on fire. Located at a height of 9995 feet, you get a 360-degree view from the top of the temple. This temple is 8 km on the road to Mussoorie to Kaddukhal.
The temperature here ranges between 10-20 degrees Celsius during summer, and 5-10 degrees Celsius during winter. The location experiences heavy snowfall blocking roads in winters. Due to the high altitude, Kanatal faces unpredictable high winds.
Kanatal has an average elevation of about 8500 feet (2590 meters). The highest point is Surkanda Devi Temple, at a height of about 9,995 feet. Water is scarce in the region.
Places of interest
- Tehri Dam at New Tehri is dam is built on the confluence of River Bhagirathi and Bhilangna.
- Kodia Jungle is 1 km away on the road towards Chamba.
- Mussoorie is 37 km from Kanatal and is a popular tourist destination.
- Chamba is 14 km from Kanatal.
- Dhanaulti is 15 km from Kanatal.
- Shivpuri is about 75 km from Kanatal and close to Rishikesh is Shivpuri, a rafting location.
- Abhik Das (8 July 2015). "Road trip: In search of snow". India Today. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- Tybros Holidays. "My Budget Weekend Holiday in Kanatal from New Delhi". Small Budget Big Trips.