Kanawha County Schools
|Motto||Where ALL Students Come First|
|Type||Public School District|
|President||Dr. Ron Duerring, Superintendent|
|Location||Charleston, West Virginia, U.S.|
- 1 Board of education
- 2 Budget
- 3 Academic performance
- 4 Unions
- 5 School choice
- 6 Schools
- 7 Former Schools
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Board of education
The School Board is made up of five members, each elected to a four-year term in a nonpartisan election. The Board appoints the superintendent. Current members:
|Jim Joseph Crawford, Sr.||President|
|Becky Jones Jordon||Member|
Dr. Ron Duerring is the Superintendent.
Kanawha County Schools faced a multimillion-dollar budget crisis for the FY 2012, but had overcome the issue in time. Superintendent Duerring stated that school officials' two major goals, if the shortfall was to occur, is to maintain the current curriculum as much as possible, and not decrease employee wages or benefits.
The County Board of Education members are also paid $160 per meeting, and are not allowed to exceed 50 meetings in a school year or else they will not be paid. 
Per Pupil Spending
For 2006-2007,Kanawha County spent $9,855 per pupil. The state average was $9,611.
No Child Left Behind
Adequate Yearly Progress
|Year||County meet AYP?||Number of schools meeting AYP||Percentage of schools meeting AYP|
WESTEST (West Virginia Educational Standards Test) 2 is defined by the WVDOE as "a custom-designed assessment for West Virginia students. The individual content assessments measure a student’s levels of performance on clearly defined standards and objectives and skills."
WESTEST 2/APTA Assessment (2008–09)
|Subject||Percentage of students proficient|
AFT-Kanawha Local 4444 is the locally chartered union of the American Federation of Teachers. AFT-Kanawha represents only teachers in Kanawha County. Fred Albert is the president of AFT Local 4444. AFT-Kanawha is a local affiliate of AFT-West Virginia. All AFT local unions are affiliated with the National and WV AFL-CIO 
The West Virginia School Service Personnel (WVSSPA) represents school service personnel in Kanawha County Schools. School service personnel include non-administrative office employees, aides, custodians, transportation, maintenance, and school meal providers. WVSSPA is a chartered local of AFT-WV.
The Kanawha County Education Association (KCEA) is an association of school administrators and teachers for this school district. Dinah Adkins is the President. It is a local affiliate of the West Virginia Education Association.
West Virginia is one of 10 states that does not have a charter school law.
By written request from a parent or guardian, a superintendent may transfer students from one school in the district to another. The county school board can also transfer students from one school district to another.
- Capital High School
- George Washington High School
- Herbert Hoover High School
- Nitro High School
- Riverside High School
- Sissonville High School
- South Charleston High School
- St. Albans High School
- Andrew Jackson Middle School
- Cedar Grove Middle School
- DuPont Middle School
- Dunbar Middle School
- East Bank Middle School
- Elkview Middle School
- Hayes Middle School
- Horace Mann Middle School
- John Adams Middle School
- McKinley Middle School
- South Charleston Middle School
- Sissonville Middle School
- Stonewall Jackson Middle School
- Alban Elementary School
- Alum Creek Elementary School
- Andrews Heights Elementary School
- Anne Bailey Elementary School
- Belle Elementary School
- Bridge Elementary School
- BridgeView Elementary School
- Cedar Grove Elementary School
- Central Elementary School
- Chamberlain Elementary School
- Chesapeake Elementary School
- Clendenin Elementary School
- Cross Lanes Elementary School
- Dunbar Primary School
- Dunbar Intermediate School
- Elk Elementary Center
- Flinn Elementary School
- George C. Weimer Elementary School
- Grandview Elementary School
- Holz Elementary School
- J.E. Robbins Elementary School
- Kanawha City Elementary School
- Kenna Elementary School
- Lakewood Elementary School
- Malden Elementary School
- Marmet Elementary School
- Mary Ingles Elementary School
- Midland Trail Elementary School
- Montrose Elementary School
- Nitro Elementary School
- Overbrook Elementary School
- Piedmont Elementary School
- Pinch Elementary School
- Point Harmony Elementary School
- Pratt Elementary School
- Richmond Elementary School
- Ruffner Elementary School
- Ruthlawn Elementary School
- Sharon Dawes Elementary School
- Shoals Elementary School
- Sissonville Elementary School
- Watts Elementary School
- Weberwood Elementary School
- West Side Elementary School
- University Collaborative School
- Ben Franklin Vocational Center
- Carver Career Center
- Chandler Academy
- Garnet Career Center
Former High Schools
- Booker T. Washington High School - Closed in 1956 when KCS was integrated and became Grant Junior High School, which closed in 1986.
- Cedar Grove High School (Cedar Grove, West Virginia) - Consolidated into DuPont High School, now Cedar Grove Middle/Elementary School.
- Charleston High School - Consolidated in 1989 with Stonewall Jackson into Capital.
- Dunbar High School - Consolidated into South Charleston HS in 1990.
- DuPont High School - Consolidated in 1999 with East Bank into Riverside, now DuPont Middle.
- East Bank High School - Consolidated in 1999 with Dupont into Riverside, now East Bank Middle.
- Garnet High School - Closed in 1956 when KCS was integrated, now serves as Garnet Career Center.
- Stonewall Jackson High School- Consolidated in 1989 with Charleston into Capital, now Stonewall Jackson Middle.
- School Board members
- AARP Bulletin, "Issues threaten shortfall in Kanawha school budget, February 10, 2010
- Great Schools Kanawha County Schools - spending per pupil
- West Virginia Department of Education - Kanawha County Schools - Adequate Yearly Progress
- West Virginia Department of Education - NCLB Data List by County
- WVDOE - NCLB History
- West Virginia Department of Education - WESTEST 2 Overview
- WVDOE - WESTEST2/APTA Assessment Data - School Year 2008-09
- Kanawha County Education Association
- Center for Education Reform, National Charter School Directory - West Virginia
- Great Schools, Barbour County Schools - Know your school choice options in West Virginia
- South Charleston High School