|Muni 3 : Kanchana 2|
|Directed by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Produced by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Written by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Music by||Original songs:|
R. B. Gurudev
|Edited by||Kishore Te.|
Sri Thenandal Films
Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Productions
|Budget||₹17 crore (US$2.5 million)|
|Box office||₹120 crore (US$17 million)|
Kanchana 2 : Ganga (marketed as Muni 3: Kanchana 2 : Ganga) is a 2015 Indian Tamil horror comedy film written, produced and directed by Raghava Lawrence , who enacted dual roles in it. It is the third installment in the Muni series after Muni 2: Kanchana and second installment in Kanchana series. The film, also featuring Taapsee Pannu, Kovai Sarala in lead roles, and Nithya Menen in an extended cameo, released worldwide on 17 April 2015. The Telugu version Ganga was released on 1 May 2015. The film was remade in Kannada as Kalpana 2 (2016) starring Upendra.
The film begins with a couple visiting a friend's home for dinner. To their surprise, the hosts are not home and the place is haunted. In the present, Raghava (Raghava Lawrence) is a cameraman for the channel Green TV where his crush Nandini (Tapsee Pannu) also works. When Green TV drops down to second position in the ratings, Nandini advises to shoot a horror program to bring their channel back to first position. After the board members agree on this plan, Nandini decides on a location with a house with an intense haunted look, without knowing the fact that it is actually haunted. She sets out with Raghava, his watchman Mayil (Mayilsamy), Dr. Prasad (Sriman), and the anchor Pooja (Pooja Ramachandran) to complete the task.
While shooting on a nearby beach, Nandini discovers a Thali, and after the discovery, mysterious events start taking place. Because of this, she decides to visit a priest. The priest discovers that the Thali is actually haunted, lets Nandini out of his room, and returns the Thali to the spirit. Nandini does not seem to believe it, and the priest challenges her to check the place where she had taken it from. After Nandini and Pooja disturb the Thali for a second time, it does not leave them. She rushes to the priest, and he helps her. As instructed by him, she prepares a coffin and a groomed woman's corpse which has the Thali. They move to a distance and shoot to see that the coffin literally breaks open and the dead woman is dragged by the ghost. All the members run away out of fear, and Raghava collapses. The priest is also killed by the ghost. Nandini tries to wake Raghava up but is too late as she gets possessed by the ghost. Raghava and Nandini move into another house, where the haunted Nandini is planning something, and to their surprise, Raghava's mother (Kovai Sarala), and Nandini's sister-in-law (Renuka) also come to stay there. Several changes occur in Nandini which only Raghava notices at first; she starts smoking at night and even physically assaults him. Soon, all realize that she is possessed. Nandini (now possessed as Ganga) influences Shiva's ghost, to be sent into Raghava. When Raghava's mother and Nandini's sister-in-law return, they are beaten up. They then run to a church and learn about Shiva (Raghava Lawrence) and Ganga (Nithya Menen). Ganga is a handicap, but Shiva loves her very much. Unfortunately, Marudhu (Jayaprakash) killed and buried them when Ganga refused to marry his insane son Shankar. Before dying, Shiva has killed Shankar. When Raghava (possessed as Shiva) kills Marudhu's brother, he comes to know that a spirit killed him. He gets a Tantrik and revives his dead son to kill Shiva and Ganga. Shiva battles Shankar and eventually defeats him. Ganga takes her revenge by killing Marudhu. Shiva returns Raghava safely to his family and promises to come back whenever they needed him; the story of Shiva and Ganga restores Green TV to first position.
- Raghava Lawrence as Raghava and Shiva (dual role)
- Nithya Menen as Ganga
- Taapsee Pannu as Nandini
- Kovai Sarala as Raghava's mother
- Renuka as Nandini's sister-in-law
- Jayaprakash as Marudhu
- Rajendran as Marudhu's henchman
- Suhasini Maniratnam as Green TV Head
- Sriman as Dr. Prasad
- Mayilsamy as Watchman
- Pooja Ramachandran as Pooja
- Manobala as Arnold
- Jangiri Madhumitha as Aishwarya
- Pandu as Dr. Pandurangan
- Chaams as Aravind Swamy
- Bhanu Chander as Chandru
- Vinu Chakravarthy as Raghava's Father (photo only)
- Mathiyalagan as Church Father
Raghava Lawrence began work on the third installment in the Muni franchise in 2012, then titled Muni 3: Ganga. He said that he had two different storylines for the sequel. Taapsee Pannu was roped in to play the female lead. Anjali was said to have been signed for the title role of Ganga, but she was later replaced by Nithya Menen. Lawrence introduced his brother Elvin in the film, who danced in a music video. Lawrence was reported to be appearing in six different looks in the film. Pooja Ramachandran was also roped in and was said to be playing the role of an anchor. In October 2013, Lawrence injured himself while filming and the making of the film was stopped for over three months. The film was in production for over two years.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|S. Thaman chronology|
|C. Sathya chronology|
|Leon James chronology|
|1.||"Sandi Muni"||Viveka||Leon James||Haricharan, Leon James||4:40|
|2.||"Vaaya Veera"||Ko. Sesha||Leon James||Shakthisree Gopalan||4:38|
|3.||"Silatta Pilatta"||Logan||C. Sathya||Jagadeesh Kumar, C. Sathya||4:18|
|4.||"Motta Paiyaa"||Viveka||S. Thaman||K. S. Chithra, Sooraj Santhosh||4:32|
|5.||"Moda Moda"||Viveka||Aswamithra||Master Sriman Roshan||3:32|
Kanchana 2 opened to positive reviews from critics.
The Times of India gave 3 stars out of 5 and wrote, "The comedy is broad and low-brow, banking on gay humour and the reactions of the characters when they are spooked by the presence of the ghost. It becomes too childish at times but you laugh nevertheless...the film does what it promises — we chuckle, cower, cry and at times, cringe". Behindwoods gave the film 2.75 out of 5 stars and said, "Looks like Lawrence has mastered the genre, so well that he knows how to keep the audience at the edge of their seats. His creative imagination has made this film different from the usual horror comedy films". Rediff rated the film 2.5 on 5, calling it "an enjoyable film" and wrote, "The plot may be out of date and the comedy absurd, but the antics of the familiar characters and their enthusiasm make you laugh despite yourself". Sify wrote, "Kanchana 2 is no different from Lawrence's earlier horror comedies...The formula is the same – mix crass comedy with lots of horror, dead person's spirit getting into hero/heroine body, slapstick humour, glamour, melodrama, ladies sentiments, fight scenes...Add five songs, haunted house, scream and wailing sounds, it works".
Indo-Asian News Service gave 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "The movie, which follows a very cliched and dated format of horror template, suffers heavily due to the lack of a good story" and called it "undoubtedly a weak film in the franchise". The Hindu wrote, "The acting isn’t the problem; the predictable story is...Kanchana-3, which is hinted at before the end credits, needs to do better if the franchise has to survive".
Kanchana 2 grossed approximately ₹120 crore (US$17 million) worldwide.
On its first day, the film grossed ₹5.77 crore (US$830,000) nett in Tamil Nadu alone and around ₹10 crore (US$1.4 million) worldwide. The film had a "phenomenal" opening, earning ₹10.83 crore (US$1.6 million) nett in Tamil Nadu in two days. Kanchana 2 earned ₹17.5 crore (US$2.5 million) nett in Tamil Nadu in its opening weekend. The film netted ₹1.55 crore (US$220,000) in Karnataka, ₹88 lakh (US$130,000) in Kerala and ₹22 lakh (US$32,000) from the rest of India. In Chennai city alone, the film made ₹1.31 crore (US$190,000) in three days.
Ganga, the Telugu version collected ₹12.2 crore (US$1.8 million) share in its first week with a gross of ₹19.3 crore (US$2.8 million). The final share was ₹18.65 crore (US$2.7 million), making it the third highest earning dubbed film in AP/Telangana after I and Enthiran.
The film opened with ₹7 lakh (US$10,000) in the United States on a limited release. In UK and Ireland, the film made ₹24 lakh (US$35,000) in the opening weekend. In Malaysia, the film had a very good opening, grossing ₹1.36 crore (US$200,000) in its first three days.
A sequel to the film, Kanchana 3 was released on 19, April 2019 While it was actually connected to Muni 2: Kanchana, Due to Kanchana being more hit, and interesting than Kanchana 2, and Kanchana 2 being different story, making it not to be the sequel to the previous film and It had cast from the previous film reprising their roles.
- Nicy V.P (8 April 2015). "Kollywood Awaits Back-to-Back Release of 'OK Kanmani', 'Kanchana 2', 'Vai Raja Vai', 'Uttama Villain'". International Business Times. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "'Kanchana 2′ a blockbuster, collects over Rs.100 crore". The New Indian Express. 9 June 2015.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (15 December 2015). "SS Rajamouli's Baahubali to Ajith's Vedalam: The Top 10 Highest grossing Tamil movies in 2015". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "Raghava Larencce and Tapsee in Muni 3 – Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 3 December 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "'Ganga' Rechristened 'Kanchana 2'". Indo-Asian News Service. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "WILL KANCHANA 2 MAKE IT AT LEAST THIS TIME?". Behindwoods. 26 April 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- V Lakshmi, TNN 30 November 2012, 12.00AM IST (30 November 2012). "Taapsee is part of Ganga – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Anjali to play a cameo in Muni 3 – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Nithya Menon in 'Muni 3' – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (7 December 2013). Retrieved on 2015-05-29.
- Muni 3 takes six forms, Raghava Lawrence, Muni 3. Behindwoods.com (8 May 2013). Retrieved on 2015-05-29.
- "Lawrence to be seen in multiple shades in Muni 3 – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "No more glamour roles for me : Pooja Ramachandran – Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Raghava Lawrence injured during the making of Muni 3". Behindwoods. 1 October 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Taapsee: I was not keen on doing Kanchana 2". Rediff. 16 April 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Kanchana-2 to hit screens tomorrow". The Times of India. 16 April 2015.
- "'Ok Kanmani', 'Kanchana 2' First Day Box Office Collection: Films of Mani Ratnam, Raghava Get Fantastic Openings Worldwide". IB Times. 18 April 2015.
- 'Ganga' First Week Collection at AP/T Box Office: Lawrence Starrer Grosses ₹19.3 Crore in 7 Days. Ibtimes.co.in (8 May 2015). Retrieved on 2015-05-29.
- "Kanchana-2 Movie Review". The Times of India. 17 April 2015.
- "KANCHANA 2 MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods. 17 April 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Review: Kanchana 2 is an enjoyable film". Rediff. 20 April 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Review: Kanchana 2". Sify. 18 April 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Kanchana 2: The ghosts in this franchise just don't scare". Hindustan Times. 18 April 2015.
- "Kanchana-2: Humour in a dated horror template". The Hindu. 18 April 2015.
- "'Kanchana 2' ( 'Muni 3' ) Opening Day Box Office Collection: Raghava Lawrence Starrer Grosses ₹5.77 Crore". IB Times. 18 April 2015.
- "'Kanchana 2′ strikes gold at box office". The New Indian Express. 19 April 2015.
- "'Kanchana 2' and 'OK Kanmani' are super hits!". Sify. 21 April 2015. Archived from the original on 5 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "'Ok Kanmani'-'Kanchana 2' Opening Weekend Box Office Collection: Both Films Rock in First Weekend". IB Times. 20 April 2015.
- "Kanchana 2 Box Office: Raghava Lawrence Starrer Earns ₹40 Crore In Ten Days". International Business Times. 29 April 2015.
- "'Kanchana 2' Box Office Collection: Raghava Lawrence's Film Crosses ₹50 Crore Mark". International Business Times. 6 May 2015.
- "Ganga Final Total Collections". Andhra Box Office. 9 June 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "'Nanak Shah Fakir' pips 'Mr. X' in key markets". Bollywood Hungama. 20 April 2015.