|Awards||Internet Hall of Fame, 2013|
|Institutions||Asian Institute of Technology|
Kanchana Kanchanasut is a Thai computer science professor at the Asian Institute of Technology who became the first Thai person to use email. She hosted the first server in Thailand connected to the Internet and registered Thailand's country code top-level domain .th in 1988. Kanchanasut was inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame in 2013.
Early life and education
Kanchanasut graduated from the University of Queensland in 1974 with a Bachelor of Science in math and an additional diploma in computer science. She moved on to the University of Melbourne in 1979 to complete a Master of Science and later returned to Melbourne for a Doctor of Philosophy in 1991.
After completing her studies at the University of Melbourne in 1984, she began her career at the Asian Institute of Technology. While at the AIT, Kanchanasut became the first Thai person to use email in 1986 after she co-created a computer network to email universities in Melbourne and Tokyo. After establishing connections to the universities in 1987, Kanchanasut set up Thailand's first server connected to the Internet in 1988. Kanchanasut was elected as the AIT's vice president of research in 2013 and currently teaches computer science.
Outside of her work at the AIT, Kanchanasut registered the country code top-level domain .th for Thailand as a computer administrator in 1988. In 2016, she co-led the creation of the first internet exchange point in Bangkok.
Awards and honours
- "School of Engineering and Technology". Asian Institute of Technology. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Prammanee, Noppadol (6 January 2003). "A Critical Analysis of the Adoption and Utilization of the Internet in Thailand for Educational Purposes". First Monday. 8 (1). Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Palasri, Sirin; Huter, Steven G.; Wenzel, Zita (1999). The History of the Internet in Thailand (PDF). University of Oregon Books. p. 9. ISBN 0871142880. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Suriyasarn, Busakorn. Analysis of Thai Internet and Telecommunications Policy Formation during the Period 1992-2000 (PDF) (Doctor of Philosophy). Ohio University. p. 109. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "AIT's Prof. Kanchana inducted into global Internet Hall of Fame". Asian Institute of Technology. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "Kanchana Kanchanasut". Internet Hall of Fame. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Leesa-Nguansuk, Suchit (10 February 2015). "Neutral exchange urged". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Kanchana Kanchanasut Honored with Jonathan B. Postel Service Award". Internet Society. Retrieved 6 November 2017.