|Directed by||A.P. Nagarajan|
|Produced by||A. L. Srinivasan|
|Written by||A.P. Nagarajan|
S. A. Ashokan
K. B. Sundarambal
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Cinematography||K. S. Prasad|
|Edited by||R. Devarajan|
A. L. S. Productions
|Distributed by||A. L. S. Productions|
|14 January 1967|
Kandhan Karunai (By the Mercy of Kandhan) is a 1967 Tamil film directed by A.P. Nagarajan. It starred an ensemble cast including Sivaji Ganesan, Gemini Ganesan, Sivakumar, Savithri, K.R.Vijaya, J.Jayalalitha, S. A. Ashokan, K. B. Sundarambal, Manorama and Nagesh.
The film revolves around Lord Murugan, his birth, marriage and his acceptance of the post of the head of the army of heaven. In Hinduism, there are six abodes of lord Muruga, known as the "Arupadaiveedu". The story behind each of the abodes are portrayed choronologically in the film. It starts with Swamimalai, where Lord Muruga (Master Sridhar) teaches the meaning of the word 'OM' to his father, Lord Shiva (Gemini Ganesan). He goes to Palani Hills after a fight over a sacred fruit, that is his second abode. Then he wins over the demon king Surapadman in Thiruchendur and that is his third abode. The King of heaven, Lord Indra offers his Daughter's hand in appreciation of Lord Muruga's Victory and he marries her in Thirupparamkunram, his fourth abode. He later marries Valli in his fifth abode of Thiruthani, later after a short dispute between both his wives they amicably settle in Pazhamudircholai, his sixth abode. All the events are summarised by Nakkeerar, a great Tamil Poet portrayed by Sirkazhi Govindarajan at the end of the film.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Veerabahu
- Gemini Ganesan as Shiva
- Savitri as Parvati
- Sivakumar as Muruga
- K. R. Vijaya as Deivanai
- J. Jayalalitha as Valli
- S. A. Ashokan as Soorapadman
- Master Sridhar as Child Muruga
- K. B. Sundarambal as Avvaiyar
- Manorama as Valli's best friend
- S. Varalakshmi as Indrani
- K. Balaji as Banugopan
- Nagesh as Nageswaran
- Sirkazhi Govindarajan in a cameo as Nakkeerar
- Vijayakumar as one of the Lords arrested by Soorapadman
|Soundtrack album by K. V. Mahadevan|
|Producer||K. V. Mahadevan|
The music composed by K. V. Mahadevan, for he received the National Film Award for Best Music Direction. The song "Thiruparankundrathil Nee" was composed by Kunnakudi Vaidyanthan. The song "Arupadai Veedu" is based on Kambhoji raga.
|1||Aarumuga Porul||Rajalakshmi, S. Janaki||Kannadasan||03:24|
|2||Aarumuga Saravana||P. Susheela||Sankaradas Swamikal||00:54|
|3||Aarupadai Veedu Konda||Seerkazhi Govindarajan||Kannadasan||06:41|
|4||Ariyathu||K. B. Sundarambal||Kannadasan||06:06|
|5||Konjum Kili||A. L. Raghavan||Sankaradas Swamikal||01:11|
|7||Manam Padaithen||P. Susheela||04:01|
|8||Muruga Muruga||K. B. Sundarambal||Sankaradas Swamikal||01:56|
|9||Murugani Senthil||T. M. Soundararajan||00:58|
|10||Muthu Thamizh||A. L. Raghavan, K. B. Sundarambal, Jamuna Rani, A. P. Komala||Kannadasan||03:48|
|11||Solla Solla||P. Susheela||02:22|
|12||Thirupparang Kundrathil||Rajalakshmi, P. Susheela||Poovai Senguttavan||03:23|
|13||Velli Malai||S. Varalakshmi||Sankaradas Swamikal||01:54|
|14||Vetrivel Veeravel||T. M. Soundararajan||Kannadasan||02:41|
- ""கந்தன் கருணை" படத்தில் முருகனாக நடிப்பது யார்? சிவகுமாருடன் விஜயகுமார் போட்டி -- actor vijayakumar and sivakumar competition". maalaimalar.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "ஏ.எல்.எஸ். தயாரித்த கந்தன் கருணை: முருகன் வேடத்தில் சிவகுமார் -- cine history sivakumar". maalaimalar.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Kandan Karunai Songs". raaga. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- "'திருப்பரங்குன்றத்தில் நீ சிரித்தால்...' இசைத்தட்டுக்காக குன்னக்குடி இசை அமைத்த பாடல் 'கந்தன் கருணை'யில் இடம் பெற்றது -- thiruparankumrathil nee sirithal kunnakudi vaithiyanathan". maalaimalar.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "His music touched the masses". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Devotional Kambhoji". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 October 2015.