This article needs to be updated.(August 2018)
|• Municipality Governor||Piret Rammul (unaffiliated)|
|• Total||524.68 km2 (202.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||8.9/km2 (23/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||EE-284|
Kanepi Parish (Estonian: Kanepi vald) is a rural municipality of Estonia, in Põlva County. It has a population of 4,662 (as of 1 January 2020) and an area of 524.68 km2 (202.58 sq mi). The administrative centre is Kanepi.
- Small borough
Abissaare - Aiaste - Erastvere - Hauka - Heisri - Hino - Hurmi - Häätaru - Ihamaru - Jõgehara - Jõksi - Kaagna - Kaagvere - Karaski - Karilatsi - Karste - Koigera - Kooli - Kooraste - Krootuse - Krüüdneri - Lauri - Maaritsa - Magari - Mügra - Närapää - Palutaja - Peetrimõisa - Piigandi - Piigaste - Pikajärve - Pikareinu - Prangli - Puugi - Põlgaste - Rebaste - Saverna - Sirvaste - Soodoma - Sulaoja - Sõreste - Tiido - Tuulemäe - Tõdu - Valgjärve - Varbuse - Veski - Vissi - Voorepalu
After the 2017 merger with Valgjärve and Kõlleste Parishes, the Kanepi Parish was looking for the new flag and coat of arms. As Kanep in Estonian means Cannabis in English, then there were also proposed versions of flag and coat of arms with the cannabis leaf in it. To see what is more popular among the people, the municipality published the seven finalist designs on a parish page where people could vote online for their favorite design. A cannabis leaf won the contest with an overwhelming majority of 12,000 votes, which is larger than the parish population of 5,000.
In May 2018, the city council, baffled by the ordeal, chose to vote for themselves if they wanted to officially adopt the proposed flag, with a slim majority of 9-8 voting to adopt the flag. On May 15, 2018, the municipality announced that the cannabis leaf flag will be the official flag of Kanepi, Andrus Seeme (Mayor) said, and on July 13, 2018, the flag was raised outside the Kanepi municipal building.
- "Kanepi rural municipality". Statistics Estonia. Statistics Estonia. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Kanepi füsioloogia". Perfect Plant (in Estonian). Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- "Estonian district votes to get cannabis leaf flag". BBC News from Elsewhere. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Kanepi Municipality residents choose cannabis leaf for flag, coat of arms". Eesti Rahvusringhääling (ERR) (Estonian Public Broadcasting). March 3, 2018.
- "Estonia's Kanepi town adopts cannabis leaf flag after online poll". BBC. May 18, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "Estonian municipality of Kanepi puts cannabis leaf on flag". Canoe.com. Quebecor Media. May 17, 2018. Archived from the original on May 17, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
Andrus Seeme, mayor for Kanepi's 2,500 souls, says a referendum was held in late 2017 and 80 per cent picked the winning design — a silver cannabis leaf on a green shield — out of seven designs.
- Official website (in Estonian)