||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Kang Ho-dong|
June 11, 1970 |
Jinju, South Korea
|Spouse||Lee Hyo-jin (이효진) m.2006|
|Notable works and roles||SBS X-Man
SBS Love Letter
SBS Star King
MBC Golden Fishery
KBS Happy Sunday: 1 Night 2 Days
SBS Strong Heart
SBS Barefooted Friends
KBS Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education
|Revised Romanization||Gang Ho-dong|
Kang Ho-dong (born June 11, 1970) is a South Korean television host and comedian, who first became known to Koreans as one of the top Korean traditional wrestlers. Along with comedian Yoo Jae-suk, he has terminated his contract with De Chocolate E&TF (a.k.a. Stom E&F) for issues of non-payment. On September 9, an emergency press conference was called at the Seoul Garden Hotel, where Kang Ho Dong stated, "I'm sorry for causing the public to worry. From this moment, I will temporary retire from the entertainment industry." Shedding tears, he continued, "I would like to sincerely apologize to the public for the recent tax scandal." He then stood up and bowed deeply to the audience. Kang Ho Dong stated, "I wrestled when I was young. When I was a professional wrestler, I even received the "man of great strength" title with the public's support. After becoming an entertainer, I landed MC positions on many programs thanks to the high level of interest the public had in me. Without your love, I know that the Kang Ho Dong today would not exist. Knowing this, I have let down and disappointed you." "The tax problem is my fault for not thoroughly managing myself. I'm quite aware that the public's hate for me right now is great. I'm a person who has a job as an entertainer. My duty is to give viewers laughter and happiness through the TV. In a situation like this, how can I shamelessly laugh and talk on TV?" Kang Ho Dong continued, "From this moment on, I will be temporarily retiring from the entertainment business." "I will be taking this conference as an opportunity to tell my viewers that I will be tentatively retiring from the industry. I will discuss with the producers of the programs I am a part of to negotiate my leave without any losses suffered on their part." "After I retire, I will be reflecting on my actions and looking back on whether I was too assured of my high fame. I would like to apologize once again for causing a disturbance to society.", The National Tax Service added, "Kang Ho Dong's annual fine is less than the required $500,000 USD. Furthermore, he did not commit acts of intentional evasion. It is merely a mistake made on behalf of his accountant, so we will not be charging him with tax evasion." Due to the controversy surrounding his name at the time, Kang Ho Dong decided to temporarily retire from the industry. With this latest development however, it seems that he can finally relax after a long battle against suspicions and rumors. but has since announced his return to the entertainment industry from late 2012.
Kang Ho-dong was born in Jinju on 11 June 1970 to a family of one brother and three sisters. Kang Ho-dong first met his wife on arranged double blind date with Yoo Jae-suk and On November 12, 2006, Kang married Lee Hyo-jin. On March 13, 2009, they had their first child, a boy named Kang Si-hoo. Kang was not present at the birth as he was away filming an episode of 1 Night 2 Days. He was also away filming for the program on the couple's first wedding anniversary.
Kang Ho-dong graduated from Masan Business High School. After graduating from high school, he started participating actively in professional Ssireum (Korean wrestling) matches. Early in his wrestling career, he lost many matches. However, on July 8, 1989, at the 44th national ssireum championships, the unseeded Kang managed to defeat the legendary Lee Mangi and went on to win the tournament, which marked the start of his successful Ssireum career. Known as 'Devil on the sand' for his arrogant and fearless demeanor, he went on to win the Baekdujangsa Ssireum Championship seven times and the Cheonhajangsa Ssireum Championship five times, he was widely recognized as the youngest ever Cheonhajangsa title holder.
After Kang retired from wrestling, he began his MC and comedian career in 1999, appearing on MBC as a talent. He was influenced by Lee Kyung-kyu, who is a famous MC and comedian in South Korea. He later became the host of a number of popular variety programs such as X-Man, Love Letter and Ya Shim Man Man. Kang has won numerous entertainment awards, and is widely recognized as one of the best television hosts in Korean television history. In 2011, He hosted four popular variety programs – Happy Sunday - 1 Night 2 Days, Golden Fishery, Star King and Strong Heart.
On September 9, 2011, Kang held a press conference announcing his retirement from the entertainment industry due a demand for back taxes by the National Tax Service, but was not charged with tax evasion as his annual tax payments do not exceed W500 million. On 17 August 2012, Kang along with fellow MC Shin Dong-yup signed exclusive contracts with SM C&C in collaboration with SM Entertainment and made a comeback. In December 2015, Kang joined JTBC's new variety show, Knowing Bros, as the cast member along with comedian Lee Soo-geun.
Kang also owns a chain of Korean barbecue restaurants called Baek Jeong.
- Happy Sunday - 1 Night 2 Days is a wild variety program that airs on Sundays. Six or seven members, originally Kang Ho-dong (main MC), Lee Soo-geun, Eun Ji-won, Kim Jong-min, Ji Sang-ryul and Noh Hong-chul, later members in season 1 were Lee Seung-gi, Kim C, MC Mong, and Uhm Tae-woong, go on a trip for 1 night and 2 days and they play games (Bok-bul-bok) and present the beautiful scenery of South Korea to the viewers. Kang won his first Daesang from KBS during the annual KBS Entertainment Awards in 2008 for hosting 1 Night 2 Days.
- Golden Fishery was a talk show that aired on Wednesdays. Kang Ho-dong played a "knee guru" to whom celebrities presented a current problem and Kang, along with popular comedian Yoo Se-yoon and All Rise Band, tried to come up with a solution.
- Star King is a talent variety program that airs on Saturdays. Each week, there are different challengers who compete for the title "STAR KING" and guests stars are invited to be the judges of the competition.
- Strong Heart was a talk show originally hosted by Kang Ho-dong and Lee Seung-gi. It aired on Tuesdays. Each week, 24 guest stars were invited to share their entertaining or heartwarming stories that are related to the theme assigned and the guest with the most touching story was presented with the "Strong Heart" title.
- Barefooted Friends was a variety and travel show where the hosts visited various countries in Asia, blending in by living like the locals in that specific country. Kang Ho-Dong was permanent host to the end of the show, alongside Yoon Shi-yoon, Yoon Jong-shin, Yoo Se-yoon, Kim Bum-soo, Eunhyuk, Kim Hyun-joong and Uee.
- Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education or Cool Kiz on the Block is a variety sports show where the members play amateur sports games. When a sport ends, new members join the cast. Only the three permanent members stay, currently Kang Ho-dong (main MC), Jeong Hyeong-don, and Yang Sangguk. The members play against amateur or professional teams, and often fellow stars. At the KBS 2013 entertainment awards, Cool Kiz on the Block received a reward for the best teamwork.
- 1997: KBS 열려라 코미디 Open Comedy - 어머니 Mother
- 1999: KBS 자유선언! 토요대작전 - 초전박살
- 2002: KBS 슈퍼 TV 일요일은 즐거워 Joyful Super Sunday TV - MC 대격돌 Standby Cue
- 2002–2003: MBC 강호동의 천생연분 Kang Ho-dong's Soulmates
- 2002–2004: SBS 뷰티풀 선데이 Beautiful Sunday
- 2003: KBS 빅 스타, 이런모습 처음이야 Big Stars, First Looks (Chuseok Special)
- 2003: SBS 소원성취 토요일 Saturday Wishes
- 2003–2004: SBS 실제상황! 토요일 Real Situation Saturday - X맨 X-Man
- 2003–2008: SBS 야심만만 Ya Shim Man Man
- 2004–2005: MBC 실험쇼, 진짜? 진짜! Experimental Show, Really?! Really!
- 2004–2006: SBS 실제상황! 토요일 Real Situation Saturday - 연애편지 Love Letter
- 2004–2006: SBS 일요일이 좋다 Good Sunday - X맨 X-Man
- 2005: MBC 대통령과 함께하는 드림!드림!드림!
- 2006: KBS 설특집 스타 대격돌 천하별미
- 2006–2007: SBS 일요일이 좋다 Good Sunday - New X맨 New X-Man
- 2006–2011, 2012–2013: MBC 황금어장 Golden Fishery
- 2007: KBS 두뇌왕 아인슈타인
- 2007: KBS 해피 선데이 Happy Sunday - 준비됐어요 Are You Ready
- 2007–2011, 2012–Present: SBS 스타킹 Star King
- 2007–2011: KBS 해피 선데이 Happy Sunday - 1박2일 1 Night 2 Days
- 2008–2009: SBS 야심만만 시즌2 Ya Shim Man Man Season 2
- 2009–2011: SBS 강심장 Strong Heart
- 2013: KBS2 달빛프린스 Moonlight Prince
- 2013–2016: KBS2 우리동네 예능과 체육의 능력자 Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education
- 2013: SBS 일요일이 좋다 Good Sunday - 맨발의 친구들 Barefooted Friends
- 2015–present: KBS 투명인간 Invisible Man
- 2015–present: JTBC 아는 형님 Knowing Bros
- 2005: "Oh! Happy Day" (Christmas carol featuring child actress, Chae Eun)
- 2009: "Horror Show" (featured in MC Mong's repackaged album, Humanimal, also featured in the music video)
- 2009: "Ho Dong Show" (featured in MC Mong's repackaged album, Humanimal as a bonus track)
Awards and achievements
- 1987: 제17회 회장기쟁탈전국장사씨름대회 장사급 준우승 (Runner-up)
- 1989: 44th National Wrestling Championships (95.1 kg or more Division)
- 1990: 47th National Wrestling Championships (95.1 kg or more Division)
- 1990: 18th Wrestling Tournament Titans (Freeweight Division)
- 1991: 54th National Wrestling Championships (95.1 kg or more Division)
- 1991: 21st Wrestling Tournament Titans (Freeweight Division)
- 1992: 24th Wrestling Tournament Titans (Freeweight Division)
- 1995: TV Journal Star King - Top Excellence Award
- 1998: MBC Entertainment Awards - Excellence Award in a Comedy/Sitcom
- 2002: MBC Entertainment Awards - Top Excellence Award in a Variety Show
- 2003: SBS Entertainment Awards - Special Award, MC category
- 2003: 39th Baeksang Arts Awards - Best TV Entertainer (Soulmates)
- 2005: 4th KBS Entertainment Awards - Special Award, MC category
- 2007: SBS Entertainment Awards - Daesang
- 2008: 44th Baeksang Arts Awards - Daesang for TV (Happy Sunday)
- 2008: 20th Korean Producers' Award of Korea - Best Show Host (1 Night 2 Days)
- 2008: 2008 Famous Creative Entertainment - "1 of top 50"
- 2008: 9th Korea Visual Arts Awards - Photogenic Award, MC category
- 2008: 7th KBS Entertainment Awards - Daesang (1 Night 2 Days)
- 2008: MBC Entertainment Awards - Daesang (Golden Fishery)
- 2009: 8th KBS Entertainment Awards - Daesang (1 Night 2 Days)
- 2010: SBS Entertainment Awards - Daesang ('Strong Heart')
- 2013: SBS Entertainment Awards - Producer MC Award ('Star King')
- "Yoo Jae Suk files law suit against KBS, MBC, SBS and former agency" Allkpop . 11 December 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-06
- ". 14 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-16
- "South Korean celeb programs popular in North". The Korea Herald. March 27, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- (Korean) "강호동 연예계서 잠정 은퇴" MBC News. 9 september 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-16
- "TV Host Cleared of Tax Dodging" Chosun Ilbo. 19 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-16
- Yoon, Dong Won. "'아는 형님' 강호동 이수근 민경훈 출연확정…12월을 수놓는 8인의 별들!". 2015-11-12. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Chae, Sun Ah. "강호동 `아는형님` 출연확정, 이수근도 끌고 간다…어떤 예능일까?". 2015-11-12. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- DE Chocolate E&TF - Official Website (in Korean)
|Awards and achievements|
|KBS Entertainment Awards - Daesang
2008 & 2009