Kang Kyung-wha in 2017
|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
18 June 2017
|Prime Minister||Lee Nak-yeon|
|Preceded by||Yun Byung-se|
7 April 1955 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Political party||Democratic Party of Korea|
|Alma mater||Yonsei University
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
|Revised Romanization||Gang Gyeong-hwa|
Kang Kyung-wha (born 7 April 1955) is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of South Korea, the first woman appointed to the position. Prior to her current appointment, Kang was Director-General of International Organization at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of South Korea.
Early life and education
Kang graduated from Yonsei University with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Diplomacy. She obtained her M.A. and Ph.D in International/Intercultural Communication from University of Massachusetts Amherst, United States.
In 1998, she joined the Korean Foreign Service. Prior to that, she worked for the Speaker of the National Assembly of South Korea on global issues in the fields of human rights, women's advancement and parliamentary diplomacy.
From September 2001 to July 2005, Kang was Minister at the Republic of Korea Mission to the United Nations. During that time, she served as chairwoman of the Commission on the Status of Women for its 48th and 49th session.
She was appointed by the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon as Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator in the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in March 2013. Previous to this position, she served as the United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights, appointed by Kofi Annan in September 2006.
- List of foreign ministers in 2017
- List of current foreign ministers
- List of female foreign ministers
- Lee, Jiyeun (June 18, 2017). "South Korea's Moon Appoints First Female Foreign Minister". Bloomberg News. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Min-kyung, Jung (June 6, 2017), "Foreign Minister prospects darken", Korea Herald, retrieved June 6, 2017
- "Secretary-General Appoints Kyung-wha Kang of Republic of Korea Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs". United Nations. March 18, 2013.
- "Secretary-General appoints Kyung-wha Kang of Republic of Korea Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights". United Nations. September 18, 2006.
- "Minister of Foreign Affairs - Kang Kyung-wha". Minister of Foreign Affairs. Archived from the original on June 27, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
Media related to Kang Kyung-wha at Wikimedia Commons
|Minister of Foreign Affairs