|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|• Mayor||Judithe Fredriksen|
|Postal code||3912 Maniitsoq|
Kangaamiut is located on an island off the coast of Davis Strait between mouths of two long fjords. To the south is the long and twisted Kangerlussuatsiaq Fjord and to the north is the Kangaamiut Kangerluarsuat Fjord. The mouth of the long Kangerlussuaq Fjord is located approximately 26 kilometers (16 mi) north of the island.
Kangaamiut has experienced a sharp decline in its population. The settlement has lost more than 36% of its population relative to 1990 and more than 26% relative to 2000.
- Statistics Greenland, Population in localities
- Qeqqata Municipality[permanent dead link] (in Danish)
- The pre-1973 spelling was Kangâmiut.
- "Maniitsoq", Saga Map, Tage Schjøtt, 1992.
- Danish for "Old Sukkertoppen".
- The name is also spelled Zukkertoppen, Sukkertop, Zukkertop, and Zuckerhut. All of them mean "Sugartop" or "Sugarloaf" after the appearance of three nearby hills.
- Qeqqata Municipality Archived 2012-08-04 at Archive.is
- AUL, Timetable 2009[permanent dead link]