|Motto||Real education. Real skills. Real jobs.|
|Established||1997 with historical antecedents from 1925|
|Interim CEO||Amanda Brook|
|Location||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Campus||Broadmeadows, Docklands, Richmond|
Kangan Institute is a Technical and Further Education provider located over a number of campuses in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It specialises in health, after market automotive, fashion, visual merchandising, hospitality and commercial cookery, business, accounting and IT, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, building and construction and engineering courses.
Kangan Institute dates back to 1925 was involved in the merger of three major institutes - John Batman, Broadmeadows College and the Richmond automotive campus of Barton Institute of TAFE.
- 1925 — Richmond Technical School established, delivering motor mechanics training as part of the post-Depression Youth Employment Scheme
- 1969 — Overcrowding splits Richmond Technical School's secondary education and TAFE functions into Richmond Technical School and Richmond College of TAFE
- 1970 — Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) transfers its automotive training programs to Batman Automotive College, Coburg. Batman College changes its name to John Batman Institute of TAFE
- 1985 — Broadmeadows College of TAFE established
- 1994 — Moorabbin and Richmond Colleges of TAFE merge to form the Richmond Automotive Campus of Barton Institute of TAFE
- 1995 — Broadmeadows College of TAFE changes its name to Kangan Institute of TAFE, in honour of Myer Kangan OBE AO, the founder of Australia's TAFE system
- 1997 — John Batman and Kangan Institutes of TAFE amalgamate to form Kangan Batman TAFE
- 1998 — Kangan Batman TAFE acquires Richmond automotive campus of Barton Institute of TAFE
- 2006 — Kangan Batman TAFE opens its newest campus - Automotive Centre of Excellence - Docklands
- 2010 — Officially relaunched as Kangan Institute on 18 February.
- 2011 — Kangan Institute opens Centre for Health and Community Services department in Moonee Ponds.
- 2014 - Kangan Institute and Bendigo TAFE merge.
Kangan Institute has five Melbourne campuses.
Kangan Institute's campus in Broadmeadows houses purpose-built training facilities such as the Transport and Logistics centre. It also holds the Richards restaurant, which trains hospitality students both as waiters and chefs.
The Automotive Centre of Excellence (ACE) at Docklands is the purpose built automotive and International Language Centre. Opened in September 2006 it houses body trades training; incorporating vehicle paint, panel beating and body making.
The Essendon campus offers business management, information technology and commerce course.
The Richmond campus is home to study areas such as engineering, fashion and millinery, visual merchandising, hairdressing and beauty services and animal studies and VCAL.
Moonee Ponds campus
The Moonee Ponds Campus is a facility for the study of subjects such as nursing, children's services, aged care, disability and allied health services.
Subjects and courses
Kangan Institute offers nationally accredited courses from certificates to diplomas and graduate diplomas. Courses on offer focus on the following areas:
- Adult Community and Further Education
- Building and Construction
- Business Services
- Community Services and Health
- Indigenous culture
- Electro technology
- General Manufacturing
- Public Administration and Safety
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Transport and Storage
- Wholesale, Retail and Personal Services
Kangan Institute also offers traineeship and apprenticeship training in the following areas:
- Building and construction
- Business services
- Community services and health
- Electro technology
- Finance services
- Metals and engineering
- Sport and recreation
- Transport and logistics
Kangan Institute's Student Support and Recreation (SSR) provides on campus and special day activities, discounted trips and tours, free sporting competitions, publications, give-aways, and resources and support to a students at all campuses.
- http://www.kangan.edu.au/ - official site