This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||India|
The Kangayam or Kangeyam is an Indian breed of draught cattle from the state of Tamil Nadu, in South India.:211 Its area of origin is the region surrounding Coimbatore, close to the border between Tamil Nadu and Kerala,:214 but it is distributed over a considerably wider area.:410 The breed name derives from that of the town of Kangeyam. It may also be called Kanganad or Kongu.
It has been exported to Brazil, where it is called the Cangaian.
The milk of Kangayam cows has a high nutritious value with no bad fat, though it is a poor milker. However, in some cases, good milkers are also found, giving 18 to 20 litres during the peak milking period. The colour of the cattle is grey or white with black markings. The breed is on the wane, due to poor government support for indigenous breeds, although individual conservative efforts are bearing some fruit. Jallikatu is a traditional sport of Tamil Nadu. This breed is participated in that sport. But due to this there is no afflict to the cattle.
Kangayam bulls are commonly used in the traditional spectacle of Jallikattu.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, Dafydd Pilling (editors) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Archived 23 June 2020.
- Breed data sheet: Kangayam / India (Cattle). Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed January 2021.
- N.R. Joshi, Ralph W. Phillips (1953). Zebu Cattle of India and Pakistan. FAO Agriculture Studies No. 19. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Valerie Porter, Lawrence Alderson, Stephen J.G. Hall, D. Phillip Sponenberg (2016). Mason's World Encyclopedia of Livestock Breeds and Breeding (sixth edition). Wallingford: CABI. ISBN 9781780647944.
- Marleen Felius (1995). Cattle Breeds: An Encyclopedia. Doetinchem, Netherlands: Misset. ISBN 9789054390176.
- Breed data sheet: Cangaian / Brazil (Cattle). Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed January 2021.