|Literal meaning||Love Song of Kangding|
"Kangding Qingge" (Chinese: 康定情歌; pinyin: Kāngdìng Qínggē; Wade–Giles: K'ang1-ting4 Ch'ing2-ko1) (literally "Love song of Kangding"), or "Kangding Love Song", is a traditional folk song of Kangding, Sichuan Province. The song is one of the most popular songs across the Sinosphere.
In 1946, while studying vocal music in Sikang Province, the Quanzhou native Wu Wen-ji had collected the song Paomao Liuliude Shanshang (On the Running Horse Mountain) amongst other local folk songs. While teaching at a Kuomintang military academy, Wu scored and renamed the song as Kangding Love Song, after the capital of the Sikang Province. The song was then spread to the rest of China after being performed by then popular Soprano Yu Yixuan.
|Lyrics in Simplified Chinese:||Lyrics in Traditional Chinese:||Lyrics in Mandarin Pinyin:||English translation:||Chords|
|Pǎomǎ liūliūde shānshàng, yīduǒ liūliūde yún yō.
Duānduān liūliūde zhàozài, Kāngdìng liūliūde chéng yō.
Lǐjiā liūliūde dàjiě, réncái liūliūde hǎo yō.
Yīlái liūliūde kànshàng, réncái liūliūde hǎo yō.
Shìjiān liūliūde nǚzǐ, rènwǒ liūliūde ài yō.
|High upon the mountain side, floats a cloud so white.
There lies kangding town, bathed in silver moonlight.
Lovely maid with a sweet smile, Li the woodcutter's daughter.
First, he has fallen in love because she is talented and good-looking.
Lovely maidens of the world, I cannot but love you.
Dm Cm Dm
Dm Cm Gm Am Dm
Gm Am Dm
Gm Am Dm
In popular culture
- The song was featured in an episode of the T.V. series Daredevil Season 01 Episode 05 titled "World On Fire".
- The song "Runaway Train", from the soundtrack of the 2003 video game, Command and Conquer: Generals, samples this song.
- This song is also sampled in a soundtrack of Dynasty Warriors 4, a video game by Koei.
- The song "Fuji I (Global Dub)", from the album Akron/Family II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT by Akron/Family features a re-imagined version of this song.
- Liu, Yi. "Kang-Ding Love Song: Stories Inside and Outside the Music". Chinese Culture Creative Commons. Archived from the original on 2 May 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Chinese Folk Songs & Kanding Love Song" (PDF). University of Akron Lakewood. Archived (PDF) from the original on 4 July 2015.
- "Three Chinese Folk Songs". Mark Templeton Choral Music. Archived from the original on 30 September 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Liu, Xiangwei. "Kangding Love Song". CRI English. Archived from the original on 4 July 2015.
- "Song Zuying, Placido Domingo, Lang Lang - Love Song of Kangding". YouTube. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "卓依婷 - 康定情歌 (Kangding Love Song)". YouTube. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "張惠妹 A-Mei - 康定情歌". YouTube. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Marvel's Daredevil: Blind Guy Singing / Taxi Cab Fight Scene". YouTube. Retrieved 30 September 2016.