Kapoor at the 21st Screen Awards, 2015
|Born||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Alma mater||Bhatkhande Music Institute|
|Spouse(s)||Raj Chandok (m. 1997; d. 2012)|
Kanika Kapoor is an Indian playback singer, who sings for the Hindi language films. Through her successful singing career, she has received one Filmfare Award and has established herself as one of the leading singers of India.
Kapoor, born and raised in Lucknow, always aspired to pursue a career in singing, but she married businessman Raj Chandok in 1997 and moved to London, where she gave birth to three children. After getting a divorce from Raj in 2012, she relocated to Mumbai to become a singer. Kapoor's first song "Jugni Ji" (2012) was for a music video–which became a huge commercial success. In 2014, she began her Bollywood playback singing career with the song "Baby Doll" for the film Ragini MMS 2. Upon its release, "Baby Doll" went viral and topped the charts and Kapoor received wide critical acclaim and several accolades for her singing style, including the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer.
Kapoor subsequently earned widespread recognition and success for singing one of the Hindi cinema's top charted songs, including "Lovely" and "Kamlee" for the film Happy New Year (2014), "Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan" for the film Roy (2015), "Desi Look" for the film Ek Paheli Leela (2015), "Nachan Farrate" for the film All Is Well (2015), "Jugni Peeke Tight Hai" for the film Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon (2015), "Jab Chaye Tera Jadoo" for the film Main Aur Charles (2015), "Neendein Khul Jaati Hain" for the film Hate Story 3 (2015), "Premika" for the film Dilwale (2015), the later of these rank among one of the highest-grossing Bollywood film. The song "Da Da Dasse" from the film Udta Punjab (2016), earned her several Best Playback Singer awards and nominations—following which she sang the songs, "Hug Me" from Beiimaan Love (2016), "Luv Letter" from the film The Legend of Michael Mishra (2016) and "Beat Pe Booty" from the film A Flying Jatt (2016), all of which earned her further success.
Early and personal life
Kapoor was born and brought up in a Khatri family in Lucknow where she also studied music. Kapoor's family was originally from Peshawar. At the age of 12, Kapoor started to study classical music under musician Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra from Varanasi and was accompanied by him to classical concerts around India. Kapoor participated in many music competitions at school in her childhood. At the age of 15, she did a stint with All India Radio and also accompanied bhajan singer Anup Jalota in his shows. She did her B.A. and then Masters in music from Bhatkhande Music Institute in Lucknow. She then moved to Mumbai to pursue her music career.
Kapoor married to Raj Chandok, an NRI businessman, in 1997 and moved to London with her husband, with whom she had three children. Kapoor separated from her husband in 2012 and moved back to her parents home in Lucknow. The couple divorced in 2012. She currently resides in London with her children. According to Kapoor, despite singing various Bollywood songs with Punjabi lyrics, she cannot speak Punjabi and thus considers herself a "UP Khatri". She shares a special bond with music composers Meet Bros with whom she debuted in Bollywood. She considers them as her real brothers.
In 2012, Kapoor released the music video "Jugni Ji", featuring Dr. Zeus. The track was the remix version of the Pakistani Sufi song "Alif Allah", originally sung by Arif Lohar and Meesha Shafi at the third season of the musical series Coke Studio Pakistan in 2010. Upon the release, "Jugni Ji" went on to become one of the biggest singles of 2012 and Kapoor earned the Brit Asia TV Music Award for Best Single. By the success of "Jugni Ji", Meet Bros Anjjan asked Kapoor to sing the song "Baby Doll" for the film Ragini MMS 2 (2014), which marked her Bollywood singing debut.The song created a hype over its release and topped the charts with winning Mirchi Music Awards for the "Number One Song of the Year" award. Kapoor was critically praised for her singing style and went on to win several awards, including the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer. The same year she collaborated again with Dr. Zeus along with Vishal-Shekhar for the song "Lovely" in Happy New Year which was picturised on Deepika Padukone. The soundtrack of the album also includes a Punjabi remix of the song titled "Kamlee". Both the songs "Lovely" and "Kamlee" received generally positive reviews and were proved to be a major success.
That same year, she participated in a concert tour across North America, entitled "SLAM! The Tour", in which she performed alongside Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone. Apart from concerts and tours, she has also been signed by an NGO for children, as their brand ambassador, where she promoted the cause of children's education. She also relaunched her own fashion brand "Kanika Kapoor: House of Chikankari" to help the female artisans in Lucknow and develop this art of embroidery and textile decoration.
In the year 2015, she collaborated again with Meet Bros Anjjan for the song "Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan" in Roy, which became a huge critical and commercial success and was the playback singer for Sunny Leone in the song "Desi Look" in the movie Ek Paheli Leela. The song was her last collaboration with Zeus and parted ways with him due to his false claim of being the producer and composer of the song "Baby Doll". She collaborated third time with Meet Bros Anjjan for the song "Nachan Farrate" for the movie All Is Well. She sang "Neendein Khul Jaati Hain" for the film Hate Story 3, collaborating fourth time with Meet Bros. She also sang a welcome song titled "Hello Namstey" for India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he attended a gathering at Wembley Stadium, London on 13 November 2015.
She regularly arranges and take part in live shows and concerts. In 2016, she paired up with various composers including Amit Trivedi, Raghav Sachar. In an interview, she said that she will now concentrate more on Sufi and classical tracks. She will also release her songs as singles.
|2012||Alif Allah||"Jugni Ji"||Dr. Zeus||Shortie||Arif Lohar|||
|2014||Ragini MMS 2||"Baby Doll"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan||Kumaar|||
|"Baby Doll (Remix Version)|
|Happy New Year||"Lovely"||Dr. Zeus, Vishal-Shekhar||Ravindra Upadhyay, Miraya Varma, Fateh||Kumaar, Jiwan Mann|||
|2015||Roy||"Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Kumaar|||
|Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan (MBA Swag)||Meet Bros Anjjan
(Remix by: MBA feat. DJ Shilpi)
|Meet Bros Anjjan|||
|"Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan (Remix)"||Meet Bros Anjjan
(Remix by: Kuwar Virk)
|Meet Bros Anjjan|||
|NH10||"Chhil Gaye Naina"||Sanjeev–Darshan||Dipanshu Pandit|||
|Ek Paheli Leela||"Desi Look"||Dr. Zeus|||
|"Desi Look (Remix)"||Dr. Zeus
(Remix by: DJ Chetas)
|Ten Cricket Project||"We Could Be Heroes" (Recreated Song)||Alesso||Sajid-Wajid|||
|All Is Well||"Nachan Farrate"||Meet Bros||Kumaar|||
|"Nachan Farrate (MB Swag)||Meet Bros|||
|Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon||"Jugni Peeke Tight Hai (Version 1)"||Amjad Nadeem||Divya Kumar||Shabbir Ahmed|||
|The Big Indian Wedding||"Teddy Bear"||Kanika Kapoor||Ikka Singh|||
|Main Aur Charles||"Jab Chaye Tera Jadoo"||Sanjeev-Darshan||Ikram Basra|||
|Hate Story 3||"Neendein Khul Jaati Hain"||Meet Bros||Mika Singh||Shabbir Ahmed|||
|Super Girl From China||"Super Girl From China"||Kanika Kapoor||Mika Singh|||
|Dilwale||"Premika"||Pritam Chakraborty||Benny Dayal||Amitabh Bhattacharya|||
|"Tukur Tukur"||Arijit Singh, Neha Kakkar, Siddharth Mahadevan, Nakash Aziz|||
|2016||Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3||"Jawaani Le Doobi"||Sajid–Wajid||Uvie, Rap by Ikka||Danish Sabri|||
|Teraa Surroor||"Ishq Samundar (Reloaded)"||Himesh Reshammiya||Anand Raj Anand|||
|Udta Punjab||"Da Da Dasse"||Amit Trivedi||Babu Haabi||Shellee|||
|Do Lafzon Ki Kahani||"Ankhiyaan"||Arjuna Harjai||Kumaar|||
|Beiimaan Love||"Hug Me"||Raghav Sachar|||
|Great Grand Masti||"Teri Kamar Ko"||Sanjeev–Darshan||Sanjeev Rathod, Darshan Rathod|||
|The Legend of Michael Mishra||"Luv Letter"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros|||
|A Flying Jatt||"Beat Pe Booty||Sachin-Jigar||Sachin-Jigar, Vayu||Vayu|||
|Jaguar (Kannada)||"Selfie"||S. S. Thaman||Mika Singh||Chandan Shetty|||
|Rokto (Bengali film)||"Dana Kata Pori"||Akassh||Akassh||Prasen|
|Tutak Tutak Tutiya||"Tutak Tutak Tutiya" (Title Song)||Raaj Ashoo||Malkit Singh, Sonu Sood||Shabbir Ahmed|||
|2017||Munna Michael||"Shake Karaan"||Meet Bros||Kumaar|
|Resham Da Rumaal||"Resham Da Rumaal"||Band of Brothers||Deep Money||Band of Brothers, Mintu Sohi|||
- Brit Asia TV Music Award
- Bollywood Record of the Year
- BIG Star Entertainment Awards
- Filmfare Awards
- Hello! Hall of Fame Awards
- 2016 Popular Choice Award
- Hindustan Times Most Stylish Awards
- 2016 Most Stylish Music Personality (Film)
- IIFA Awards
- Screen Awards
- Stardust Awards
- 2014 Best Playback Singer – Female for "Baby Doll" from Ragini MMS 2
- Star Guild Awards
- Producers Guild Film Awards
- Global Indian Music Academy Awards
- "Kanika Kapoor: I am just a simple small town girl who has been through a lot". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 18 November 2015.
I am a Khatri, who was born and brought up in Lucknow ... I got married to Raj and moved to London when I was only 18 ... we separated about five years ago and finally divorced three years back ... This was January 2012 ... By July, Raj and I had separated and in October, I won the best British Asian award.
- Sunayana Suresh (18 March 2014). "I had no idea who Sunny Leone was: Baby Doll singer". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "‘I love Chandigarh, sarson ka saag ... ’". The Tribune. 20 June 2016.
- R.M. Vijayakar (12 May 2015). "I Am Living My Ambitions and Dreams, Says Kanika Kapoor". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Elina Priyadarshini Padhiary (18 November 2014). "Im not here jut to sing for Bollywood: Kanika Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "PHOTOS: 18 की उम्र में हुई थी सिंगर कनिका कपूर की शादी, 3 बच्चों की हैं मां". NDTV India. 18 June 2016.
- Devanshi Seth (15 May 2014). "I had to deal with a lot of vicious rumours: Kanika Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Roy, Saumya (30 January 2016). "Smaal talk: The siren's call". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "I’m not Punjabi, I don’t know Punjabi: Kanika Kapoor". 21 June 2016.
- Sneha K. Sukumar (13 September 2014). "Meet the multi-talented, Kanika Kapoor". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Priya Gupta (16 October 2014). "Bollywood music report Jan–Dec 2014". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Kanika Kapoor to sing in Happy New Year". Bollywood Hungama. 21 April 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Rajiv Vijayakar (9 October 2014). "Happy New Year (2014) – Music Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "SRK, Madhuri, Deepika Sizzle in the New Promo of SLAM-The Tour". Koimoi. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Kanika Kapoor: I did not spend a single penny in the making of Baby Doll". The Times of India. 22 July 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Roy: Watch Jacqueline Fernandez and Meet Brothers in Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan". India Today. 8 January 2015.
- "Ek Paheli Leela: Watch Sunny Leone's seductive moves in Desi Look". India Today. 20 February 2015.
- "Dr Zeus accuses 'Baby Doll' composers Meet Brothers of plagiarism". The Times Of India. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Neendein Khul Jaati Hain FULL AUDIO Song - Meet Bros ft. Mika Singh - Kanika - Hate Story 3. 4 November 2015 – via YouTube.
- "Modi in UK: ‘Baby Doll’ singer Kanika Kapoor to sing at Wembley event". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- R.M. Vijayakar. "Kanika Kapoor: ‘I Am Living My Ambitions and Dreams’". India-West. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Jugni ji by kanika kapoor".
- Rohit Vats (16 September 2014). "Music review: Happy New Year's music is trendy and young at heart". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Sunitra Pacheco (7 January 2015). "Listen to 'Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan' song from Jacqueline, Ranbir's 'Roy'". The Indian Express. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "'Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan MBA Swag AUDIO Song - Roy". —via Official T-Series YouTube Channel. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan VIDEO Song (Remix) - T-Series". -via YouTube. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Anushka Sharma Pours Her Heart Out in 'Chhil Gaye Naina' from 'NH10'". India West. 18 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Sunny Leone shows off her 'Desi Look' in latest track from 'Ek Paheli Leela'". Deccan Chronicle. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "'Desi Look' Remix Full AUDIO Song - Ek Paheli Leela". —via official T-Series YouTube channel. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Kanika kapoor sang a song for ten sports". DNA India. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Nachan Farrate: Watch Sonakshi Sinha's dhamakedaar All Is Well song". India Today. 17 July 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "All Is Well Remix Songs at Hungama.com". Hungama.com. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Jugni Peeke Tight Hai - Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon - Kanika Kapoor, Divya Kumar & Sukriti Kakkar. 16 September 2015 – via YouTube.
- bollyspice.com (22 September 2015). "Kanika Kapoor launches her first single titled ‘The Teddy Bear Song’". IMDb. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "'Jab Chhaye Mera Jadoo' recreated for 'Main Aur Charles'". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Super Girl From China (feat. Kanika Kapoor) - Single by Mika Singh on iTunes". iTunes. 3 December 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Dilwale (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Pritam on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Watch: New song 'Tukur Tukur' from 'Dilwale' will make you groove on the dance floor!". DNA India. 14 December 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Jawaani Le Doobi (From "Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3") - Single by Sajid - Wajid, Ankit Singh Patyal & Upinder Verma on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "Ishq Samundar (Reloaded) Full Song (Audio) - Teraa Surroor". —via T-Series YouTube Channel. 15 February 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Kanika Kapoor renders peppy track 'Da Da Dasse' in 'Udta Punjab'". Mid-Day. 27 May 2016.
- "Watch: Randeep and Kajal's new song Ankhiyaan will leave you teary eyed". Deccan Chronicle. 18 May 2016.
- "'Hug Me' song: Sizzling Sunny Leone is back with Kanika Kapoor's catchy track from 'Beiimaan Love'". International Business Times. 17 June 2016.
- "Watch: 'Teri Kamar Ko', the title track of Great Grand Masti, is out!". DNA India. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Kaushal, Ruchi (18 July 2016). "Watch: Aditi Rao Hydari’s peppy ‘Love letter’". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "A Flying Jatt Album at Saavn". Saavn. 21 July 2016.
- "Jaguar (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP by Thaman S. on iTunes". iTunes Store. 2 September 2016.
- "Tutak Tutak Tuitya Audio Jukebox — T-Series". —via T-Series YouTube Channel. 19 September 2016.
- "Resham Da Rumaal Video Song: T-Series". —via YouTube. 25 June 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Brit Asia TV Music Awards 2012: The Winners". Media 247 UK Ltd. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "BritAsia TV World Music Awards 2015: THE WINNERS". Brit Asia TV. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "BIG STAR Entertainment Awards 2014 Nominations". BIG FM 92.7. 10 December 2014. Archived from the original on 16 March 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "60th Britannia Filmfare Awards 2014: Complete list of winners". The Times of India. 1 February 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Kaur, Kiran (12 April 2016). "Hello! Hall of Fame Awards 2016: Complete list of winners". Times of India. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "HT Most Stylish Awards: The stars descend on the red carpet". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "IIFA 2015: The complete list of winners". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "21st Annual Life OK Screen Awards nominations". The Indian Express. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Happy New Year Sweeps Stardust Awards, Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone Win Top Honours". NDTV. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Winners of 10th Renault Star Guild Awards". Bollywood Hungama. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Winners of 11th Renault Sony Guild Awards".
- "PIX: SRK, Saif, Parineeti at GIMA Awards". Rediff.com. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kanika Kapoor.|