|Produced by||Kalaippuli S. Thanu|
|Music by||Drums Sivamani|
|Distributed by||V Creations|
|2 hours 17 minutes |
Kanithan (English: The Mathematician) is a 2016 Tamil action thriller film written and directed by T N Santhosh and produced by S Thanu. The film features Atharvaa and Catherine Tresa in the lead roles, while Sivamani composes the film's music. Having begun production in 2013, the film was released in February 2016. The film was remade in Kannada as Athiratha (2017) and in Telugu as Mudra (2018).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2018)
- Atharvaa as Gowtham Ramalingam
- Catherine Tresa as Anu
- Tarun Arora as Thura Sarkar
- K. Bhagyaraj
- Manobala as Madhan, Anu's father
- Aadukalam Naren as Ramalingam, Gowtham's father
- Y. G. Mahendra
- R. S. Shivaji
- Karunakaran as Balaji
- Sunder Ramu as Senthil
- Ashwin Raja as Thirupathi
- Anil Murali as Inspector Jerald
- Sai Dheena as Bhai
- Nanjil Vijayan as Salim
The project materialised in October 2013, with producer S Thanu revealing that Atharvaa and Catherine Tresa were signed on by his production house to feature in a film directed by Santhosh, with music by Sivamani and camera work by Arvind Krishna. The shoot began progressing in December 2013, with a first look poster being revealed the following month. In April 2014, it was reported that Jackie Shroff plays the villain in the film, though he was later replaced by Tarun Arora.
|Kanithan (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|Soundtrack album by Drums Sivamani|
|Released||27 January 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Drums Sivamani chronology|
|1.||"Yappa Chappa"||Anirudh Ravichander, Kalpana Raghavendar|
|2.||"Maiyal Maiyal"||Haricharan, Shweta Mohan|
|3.||"I Viralgal"||MC AK, Adhrija, Ishaan Dev|
|4.||"Modern Ponnatha"||Karthik, Runa Sivamani, Blaaze|
|5.||"Che Guevara"||S P Balasubrahmanyam|
Behindwoods wrote "What could have been an intelligent crackerjack suspense entertainer ends up being a medially engaging product due to few lackluster moments and some sluggish screenplay in the second half. Despite its flaws, this savvy thriller is worth watching once mainly for some exhilarating action sequences, Atharvaa’s top class performance and a few adrenaline pumping moments." Hindustan Times wrote "Like so many Tamil films, Kanithan begins with a fantastic idea and story, but Santosh lets these spin out of control -- till the script sinks beyond salvation." Rediff wrote "Despite the compelling plot, Kanithan is an uninspired action thriller that has little to offer." Times of India wrote "Kanithan feels less than the sum of its parts. The chief reason is the scenes that act as a filler between the action, which are either banal or overlong or both. The film takes a while to get going and almost the first 30 minutes are wasted through cliched scenes in the name of setting up the hero's character and his romance." Sify wrote "Overall, Kanithan tries hard to satisfy multiple agendas that telling an interesting story becomes secondary to everything else". Silverscreen wrote "Kanithan is ambitious in scope, and inept in execution."
- "KANITHAN (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 25 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Catherine Tresa to pair with Atharvaa ". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Atharva's 'Eeti' is in full swing – Deccan Chronicle". deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Jackie Shroff plays baddie in Tamil film ". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Kanithan movie songs Review". MovieTet. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Kanithan Tamil Movie Review by Chennaivision — Chennaivision". 2016-02-27. Retrieved 2016-07-14.