|Directed by||Bharathi Kannan|
|Produced by||R. B. Choudary|
|Written by||Bharathi Kannan|
E. Ramdoss (dialogues)
|Edited by||V. Jaishankar|
Kannathal is a 1998 Tamil devotional film directed by Bharathi Kannan. The film features Karan, Neena and Indhu in lead roles, with Manivannan, Vadivelu, Vadivukkarasi, Fathima Babu, and Delhi Ganesh playing supporting roles. The film, produced by R. B. Choudary, had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 2 December 1998.
Kannatha (Neena) is a goddess believer and is treated as a goddess by the villagers. She lives with her father Shanmugam Pillai (Delhi Ganesh), who is a nadaswaram player and an ardent believer of a goddess, her mother (Fathima Babu), and her four little sisters.
Chinna Durai (Karan) is the son of the rich Zamindar Mohana Sundaram (Manivannan) and Ranganayaki (Vadivukkarasi). He is a womanizer and has a lot of bad habits. One day, Chinna Durai witnesses Kannatha in a Hindu festival and wants to have sex with her, so he decides to marry her. Shanmugam, who is in deep debt, accepts for the marriage. Chinna Durai and Kannatha finally marry.
After the marriage, Chinna Durai rapes Kannatha and begins to mistreat the innocent girl. When Shanmugam comes to see Kannatha, Chinna Durai ridicules him. Feeling guilty to have destroyed his daughter's life, Shanmugam dies from a heart attack. Kannatha then decides to accommodate her mother and sisters in their big house. Mohana Sundaram and Ranganayaki humiliate them as much as possible to expel them from their house; in addition to this, Chinna Durai sexually harasses Kannatha's mother. They cannot bear the mental torture, so Kannatha's mother and the four girls commit suicide by eating poisoned food.
Soon, Kannatha becomes pregnant. One night, Chinna Durai, Mohana Sundaram, and Ranganayaki beat the innocent girl to death and incinerate her. They claim that this was an accident to the police. Later, Chinna Durai marries his relative Seetha Lakshmi (Indhu), a talkative and naive village girl. Later, Kannatha becomes a goddess and takes revenge on the culprits. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- Karan as Chinna Durai
- Neena as Kannatha
- Indhu as Seetha Lakshmi
- Manivannan as Mohana Sundaram
- Vadivukkarasi as Ranganayaki
- Vadivelu as Soona Paana (Subbaiya Pandiyan)
- Fathima Babu as Kannatha's mother
- Delhi Ganesh as Shanmugam, Kannatha's father
- Halwa Vasu as Vasu
- Thideer Kannaiah as Gopal
- Bharathi Kannan as Babu
- Meesai Murugesan
- Raj Chander as Babu
- Nellai Siva
- Kovai Senthil
- Chitra Guptan
- Vellai Subbaiah
- Vinu Chakravarthy in a guest appearance as Karuppu Sami
- Kushboo in a guest appearance
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film score and the soundtrack were composed by film composer Ilaiyaraaja. The soundtrack, released in 1998, features 7 tracks with lyrics written by Kamakodiyan, Ponnadiyan, Arivumathi, Ilaiyaraaja and Bharathi Kannan.
|1||"Amman Pukazhai Paada" (male)||Ilaiyaraaja||4:53|
|2||"Amman Pukazhai Paada" (female)||Bhavatharini||4:53|
|3||"Kamatchi Ammanukku"||Sujatha Mohan||5:17|
|5||"Munthi Munthi Vinayagare"||K. S. Chithra||6:20|
|6||"Pathilenkay Solvai"||Sujatha Mohan||4:09|
|7||"Unnai Nambum"||Devi, Chorus||2:38|
- "Find Tamil Movie Kannathaal". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 16 May 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Filmography of kannathal". cinesouth.com. Retrieved 8 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kannathaal (1998) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 8 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kannathal Songs — Tamil Movie Songs". play.raaga.com. Retrieved 8 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kannathaal, Kannathaal Songs". saavn.com. Retrieved 8 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)