Kannur International Airport
|Kannur International Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Serves||Kannur, Kasargod, Wayanad and Kodagu|
|Location||Mattanur, Kerala, India|
Kannur International Airport is expected to be operational by 2015.The department is hoping to conclude test flights by December 2015 and commercial flight operations commencing by May 2016.
The Government of Kerala initiated planning for Kannur International Airport in 1998. Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (KINFRA) was appointed to undertake feasibility studies, which were submitted to the Government of India in 2005. The proposal was approved in principle by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in February 2008.
On 9 August 2012, STUP consultants was selected as the project consultant after submitting a winning bid of ₹145 million. On 3 September 2012, Kannur International Airport Ltd (KIAL) announced that it had issued a show-cause notice STUP Consultants. KIAL stated that the consultant had violated Request for Proposal (RFP) conditions. Mir Projects and Consultants, who had bid earlier bid for the consultancy contract, moved the Kerala High Court seeking termination of the contract on the grounds that STUP Consultants and Darashaw was a blacklisted company, and blacklisted companies were not eligible according to the project tender. KIAL subsequently stated that the reply to the show-cause notice was unconvincing and that STUP Consultants was guilty of violating the tender requirements. The company was found to have been blacklisted by the Punjab Government in 2007. The order was set aside by the Punjab and Haryana High Court but the company was blacklisted again in 2009. The contract was terminated and KIAL announced that it would call for new bids at a later date.
In the GIL director board meeting on 15 November 2012, A consortium of AECOM Asia Private Ltd, AECOM India Private Ltd, and CRISIL won the consultancy by bidding ₹138 million.
The airport will be built on 2,500 acres (1,000 ha) acres 25 km from Kannur.
The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) submitted the detail project report in May 2012 and in October 2013 L&T was chosen to construct the runway. The construction work commenced in November 2013. The runway will be 3,400 m (11,200 ft). The orientation of the runway is 07/25, which permits obstacle free approach. Passenger traffic at the airport is expected to be a million international and 300,000 domestic passengers annually. Construction of the runway was expected to start by the end of 2012.
Infrastructure and connectivity
Kannur Airport is located at a distance of 25 km from Kannur Town. The airport location is 19 kilometers away from National Highway 17(NH-17) and 4 kilometers away from Tellicherry-Mysore Highway(SH-30).
More than 8 roads are to be developed for connecting to the Airport, which includes Kannur (Melechovva)-Mattannur road, Thalassery-Mattannur road, Thalassery–Anjarakandy–Airport road, Thalassery–Nadapuram Road, Karnataka Border -Iritty – Mattannur Road, Wayanad (Mananthavadi) – Nedumpoil – Mattannur road, Payyanur/Ezhimala–Mattannur road, Thalassery–Mahe Bypass, etc. Thalassery–Mattannur road will be upgraded to 4/6 lanes, considering the availability of required land for widening. Other related roads will be widened and upgraded with high quality surfacing and constructing new bridges and culverts. Approximately, Rs.3 billion are expected as the cost for the development of access roads to the Airport.
According to a detailed project report prepared by CIAL, in 2015, 610,000 domestic passengers, and 1.32 million international passengers are expected to use the airport.
The number of passenger estimated to use the airport in 2021 is 2.94 million. Number of international passengers are expected to be 2.03 million and domestic passengers will be 0.91 million.
- List of airports in India
- List of international airports in India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (India)
- Airports Authority of India (AAI)
- Kannur District
- "Airport Project". Kannur International Airport. 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "Kannur Airport". Kannur Airport. 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Vinson Kurian (2012-09-07). "Kannur airport consultancy contract cancelled; fresh bids to be called | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Show-cause notice to Kannur airport project consultant | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur Airport consultancy contract scrapped, HC told". Ibnlive.in.com. 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- S. Anil Radhakrishnan (2012-11-26). "Airport consultant reviewing report". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur airport to make profit in sixth year of operation - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL)". Kannurairport.org. 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Kannur airport: Work on runway to start this year, IBN Live News". Ibnlive.in.com. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Rs 3,156 crore required for construction of Kannur international airport - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "International passengers to outnumber domestic ones at proposed Kannur airport - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kannur International Airport.|