|Owner||Indian Air Force|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Chakeri, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||410 ft / 124 m|
Kanpur Airport (IATA: KNU, ICAO: VICX) is an airport that was originally designated for the Indian Air Force. In the 1970s, flights operated from this airport regularly to Delhi, Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune and Mumbai. The Civil Air Terminal of Kanpur Airport was re-opened in December 2004 and since then flights have been operational on this airport off and on. Currently, there are flights from this airport. On 10 Dec'16 flights between Delhi and Kanpur are inaugurated. Air India Regional has started a noon flight between these cities with a 72-seater aircraft.
New terminal & connectivity
Anticipating growth in passenger traffic, the Airports Authority of India is planning to expand the Chakeri Civil Enclave. The airport would be developed in two phases. In the first phase of development includes expansion of the existing terminal building to increase the passenger handling capacity, construction of a visitors lounge and new car parking facilities. The existing apron will also be extended to accommodate two Airbus A321 type of aircraft, for which, the Ministry of civil Aviation has sought Air Headquarter's permission for expansion of the apron on IAF land for joint use.
In the second phase, A new civil air terminal at Chakeri Airport will be built on a 50-acre piece of land adjacent to the airport boundary. The state government has been requested to hand over 50 acres of land identified by AAI free of cost for the development of civil enclave at Chakeri airport and also provide a 4-lane approach road the proposed site. The Airports Authority of India has identified the land for the purpose and on 4 July 2012, a senior official of the civil aviation ministry carried out an inspection of the Civil airport in Chakeri.
UP Govt has cleared 50 acres of land for expansion of Kanpur airport and a new terminal building.
UP Govt signed a MOU with Airports Authority of India (AAI) for development of civil enclave at Kanpur Airport.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On Saturday 18 May 1996, at 0738 hrs. an Archana Airways aircraft Let L-410 Turbolet model UVP-E9D carrying 16 passengers and 3 flight crew, touched down late during landing at Kanpur Airport, and could not be stopped within the available runway length and went beyond the runway. The aircraft hit the boundary wall of the airport and came to halt. The aircraft sustained major damages. There was no fire and no injury to persons on board the aircraft. The aircraft was damaged beyond repair.
- April 2013:100 acres of land identified for airport expansion
- May 2014:District Magistrate Roshan Jacob inspected Airport Expansion
- April 2016:Jet Airways shows interest in operating flights from airport, runway to be expanded and night landing system improved
- May 17, 2016:Land acquisition for new terminal at airport begins. The airport is expected to be operational by 2017
- May 27, 2016:Airport to be connected with four lane road from Allahabad Highway
- Jun 2016:Registry of 17 hectares land from farmers in process.
- Dec 2016:Delhi-Kanpur flight re-introduced.
International airport proposal
An international airport named Captain Lakshmi Sehgal International Airport in the memory of late Azad Hind Fauj member Captain Lakshmi Sehgal was proposed in 2015 to be constructed at in Kanpur Dehat district about 50 km from Kanpur. The airport is proposed to be bigger than Lucknow's Amausi Airport and would have flights to United Kingdom, United States, France, Germany, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, China, Australia etc. The airport will serve the region from Agra division, Jhansi division, Kanpur division, Aligarh division, Allahabad division, Banda division and Lucknow division. It would have direct link road with Agra Lucknow Expressway.
- "Airport expansion: Shri Prakash Jaiswal urges Akhilesh Yadav to provide land". The Times of India. 11 July 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Flying away to Kolkata". The Times of India, Jan 1, 2012, 05.38AM IST. 2012-01-01.
- "UP Cabinet okays land for airport expansion". The Times of India, Aug 22, 2013, 01:05AM IST. 2013-08-22.
- "Air India timetable" (PDF). Air India. 1 January 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
Media related to Kanpur Airport at Wikimedia Commons