|Native name||Kanpur Metro|
|Owner||(Kanpur Metro Rail Corporation Limited)|
|Locale||Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Number of lines||2 (planned, Phase I & II)|
|Number of stations||34 (planned, Phase I & II, 23 stations in a 35 km stretch and 8 stations in 15 km stretch)|
|Headquarters||(Kanpur Metro Rail Corporation Limited), Near Uttar Pradesh State Textile Corporation Limited, Grand Trunk Road, Sharda Nagar, Kanpur-19|
|System length||50 km (31 mi) (planned)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||25 Kv OHE|
|Top speed||80 kmph|
Kanpur Metro is an under construction rail based mass transit system in the city of Kanpur, India which shall further be extendable to Kanpur Metropolitan Region. The feasibility study of the project was done by RITES and was completed in June 2015. Kanpur Metro Rail is likely to be completed around 2020. Kanpur is the largest city in Uttar Pradesh followed by Lucknow. This is the largest industrial town in the state. The feasibility study of metro rail in Kanpur has been prepared to control the traffic woes and congestion which are hampering the growth, development and prosperity of the City. Lucknow metro rail corporation has got the responsibility to implement the work of Kanpur metro until the spv for Kanpur metro is not formed. Japan International Cooperation Agency and European Investment Bank will provide loan to Kanpur Metro project.
- IIT Kanpur
- Kalyanpur Railway Station
- Kanpur University
- Geeta Nagar
- Rawatpur Railway Station
- Moti Jheel
- Harsh Nagar
- Christ Church College
- Phool Bagh
- Noronha Crossing
- Kanpur Central railway station
- ISBT Jhakarkatti
- Old Transport Nagar
- Kidwai Nagar North
- Kidwai Nagar South
- Yashoda Nagar
- Baudh Nagar
- CSA University
- GSVM Medical College
- Rawatpur Railway Station
- Ordnance Factory
- Govind Nagar
Line III (Future Extension)
In this phase the metro line is proposed from south-west part of city PSIT to eastern part of city Ruma while covering whole of the industrial city.
The Cost of construction is estimated at ₹13,721 crores for two lines. Line I is projected to be developed with ₹9000 crores. The cost will be evaluated based on the June 2015 price index.
- Sept 2015: Proposed formation of Kanpur Metro Rail Corporation
- Nov 2015: DPR prepared by LMRC and RITES is submitted to state government.
- Feb 2016: State Government is planning to lay foundation stone of Kanpur Metro in March 2016 after state cabinet approval.
- Feb 2016: It is expected that civil work on Kanpur metro will start by Dec 2016.
- Mar 2016: UP Govt approves the DPR.
- Mar 2016:Japanese team inspected metro route in the city
- May 2016:EIB ready to fund city metro project
- 22 May 2016: Centre approves plan for Kanpur metro 
- 15 June 2016: Last date to submit logo for Kanpur Metro by KPMRC
- 20 July 2016: Scheduled inauguration of Kanpur Metro by Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh which could not take place due to delay in giving NOCs various ministries under Central Government.
- October 2016: Final approval of Metro project by UP Government and Government of India
- 4 October 2016: Foundation stone-laying ceremony done by Urban Development minister Venkaiah Naidu in the presence of CM Akhilesh Yadav and BJP MP Murli Manohar Joshi at Brijendra Swarup Park in Benajhabar.
- July 2017: Civil work started.
- "UP Cabinet Approves 32.385 km Kanpur Metro - The Metro Rail Guy".
- "RITES asked to make parking lot at every Metro station - TOI Mobile - The Times of India Mobile Site".
- "Kanpur Metro Report Submitted to Uttar Pradesh Government".
- IANS. "Kanpur Metro rail project to be launched by March".
- Rawat, Virendra Singh. "Kanpur, Varanasi metro rail projects could start by December 2016".
- "दिल्ली में दौड़ने लगी कानपुर मेट्रो की फाइल - Kanpur City News".
- NYOOOZ. "Japanese team inspected metro route in the city - Kanpur NYOOOZ".
- "EIB ready to fund city metro project - TOI Mobile - The Times of India Mobile Site".
- "Centre approves plan for Varanasi and Kanpur metro - The Economic Times".
- Era's, Creativ. "Kanpur Development Authority - Tenders".
- "कानपुर में 20 जुलाई को मेट्रो परियोजना का शिलान्यास करेंगे मुख्यमंत्री - Navbharat Times".
- "अक्टूबर में मेट्रो को सैद्धांतिक सहमति के आसार".