Kansas Bureau of Investigation
|Kansas Bureau of Investigation|
Official patch of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation
Official seal for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation
|Motto||Dedication. Service. Integrity.|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of Kansas, USA|
|Legal jurisdiction||Government of Kansas|
|Headquarters||1620 SW Tyler Street
|Elected officer responsible||Derek Schmidt, Kansas Attorney General|
|Agency executive||Kirk Thompson, Director|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) is the criminal investigative arm of the state of Kansas. The agency is a division of the state's Attorney General. Among the KBI's responsibilities are providing investigative and criminal laboratory services to criminal justice agencies, as well as investigating and preventing crime in the state of Kansas. Kirk Thompson is the current director of the KBI.
The KBI has 72 special agents and 181 civilian employees.
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) was established in 1939 by the Kansas Legislature to combat the increasing magnitude and complexity of crime in general and bank robberies in particular. The KBI is a division of the Office of Attorney General and is headed by a director appointed by the Attorney General.
When established, the KBI was directed to conduct investigations at the request of the Attorney General and local law enforcement and to maintain state criminal justice records. Later, the KBI Laboratory was added and the KBI, traditionally, has also assisted in the training of local law enforcement officers and provided crime trend information to public officials, local law enforcement and citizens.
Since its beginning, the KBI has had 12 directors.
- Lou Richter (1939–1956)
- Logan H. Sanford (1957–1969)
- Harold R. Nye (1969–1971)
- Fred H. Howard II (1971–1975)
- William H. Albott (1975–1979)
- Thomas E. Kelly (1979–1987)
- David E. Johnson (1987–1989)
- James G. Malson (1989–1992)
- Robert B. Davenport (1992–1994)
- Larry Welch (1994–2007)
- Robert E. Blecha (2007–2011)
- Kirk D. Thompson (2011–present)
The KBI maintains offices at the following locations.
- KBI Statistics (2012)
- KBI Director, Kirk Thompson
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation - History
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation - Mission
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation - Directors
- Welch, Larry. Beyond Cold Blood: The KBI from Ma Barker to BTK. Univ Pr of Kansas, 2012. ISBN 978-0700618859
- KBI HIstory
- KBI Directors
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation - Organization of the KBI