Kansas City Southern (company)
|Traded as||NYSE: KSU|
S&P 500 Component
(CEO & President)
Number of employees
|7000 Union and Management|
Headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas City Southern (KCS) (NYSE: KSU) is a transportation holding company with railroad investments in the U.S., Mexico and Panama.
Its primary U.S. holding, The Kansas City Southern Railway (KCSR), a Class I railroad, was founded in 1887 by Arthur Edward Stilwell, a strategic, forward-thinking entrepreneur, who envisioned a north/south railroad connecting to Mexico. KCS serves the central and south region of the U.S. and is the smallest of the Class I railroads in North America.
KCS' international holdings include Kansas City Southern de Mexico (KCSM) which serves northeastern and central Mexico and the port cities of Lázaro Cárdenas, Tampico and Veracruz. KCS obtained 100% of owernship of KCSM in 2005.
In addition to KCSM, international holdings include a 50% interest in Panama Canal Railway Company (1998), which operates the Panama Canal Railway. providing ocean-to-ocean freight and passenger service along the Panama Canal.
KCS' North American rail holdings and strategic alliances are the components of a railway network linking the commercial and industrial centers of the U.S., Mexico and Canada and beyond.
Patrick J. Ottensmeyer was named President in April 2015, and President and CEO in June 2016, succeeding David Starling. Mr. Ottensmeyer served as Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing and Chief Financial Officer prior to becoming President and CEO for KCS.
- "Kansas City Southern Railway - Encyclopedia of Arkansas".
- Publishing, Value Line. "Value Line - The Most Trusted Name in Investment Research". www.valueline.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- Group, Karl Bernard & the Rhombus. "SAGA OF KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN LINES". www.kcshs.org. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "The Kansas City Southern Railway". American-Rails.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Kansas City Southern | 140,000-Mile Private Rail Network Delivers for America's Economy | Freight Rail Works". Freight Rail Works. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Kansas City Southern: The Smallest Class I Railroad".
- Kansas City Southern Company Profiles
- "https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/02/20/kansas-city-southern-president-pat-ottensmeyer.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03. External link in
- "https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/07/15/kc-southern-names-new-chief-marketing-officer.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03. External link in
- "KCS Names Patrick J. Ottensmeyer as President and Chief Executive Officer".
- "BRIEF-Kansas City Southern names Patrick Ottensmeyer as CEO". Reuters. 2016-05-10. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- Editor-in-Chief, William C. Vantuono,. "Ottensmeyer succeeds Starling as KCS CEO". Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Kansas City Southern chooses Patrick Ottensmeyer to succeed CEO David Starling". kansascity. Retrieved 2017-08-03.