Kansas Insurance Commissioner
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (January 2014)|
|Insurance Commissioner of
the State of Kansas
|Formation||March 1, 1871|
The Kansas Insurance Commissioner (KIC), in full the Kansas State Insurance Commissioner, has the primary responsibility to the people whose personal lives are protected by insurance in the state of Kansas. It is an elected position and is currently held by Republican Ken Selzer.
The Kansas Insurance Department was established by the Kansas Legislature in 1871. It has four major regulatory functions:
- 1. Regulate and Review Companies: Sixty-five companies are headquartered in Kansas, plus 1,592 other companies sell policies in Kansas. The Kansas Insurance Department, under the direction of the Commissioner, regulates and reviews these companies to make sure they are solvent and comply with insurance laws and regulations.
- 2. Educate Consumers: To educate consumers about insurance, the Kansas Insurance Department publishes brochures and rate guides on all kinds of insurance coverage; provides speakers on numerous insurance topics; and prepares vital public service information to mass media.
- 3. Assist Consumers: The Kansas Insurance Department helps consumers when they have disputes with insurance companies. Such assistance has resulted in millions of dollars in refunds and claims payments for consumers.
- 4. License Agents; Approximately 22,000 resident agents and 68,000 nonresident agents are licensed in Kansas to sell insurance products. The Kansas Insurance Department also requires agents to meet ongoing continuing education requirements.
The office was known as the Superintendent of Insurance until 1927, when the title changed to Commissioner of Insurance
Kansas State Superintendents of Insurance
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
|William C. Webb||1871–1873||Republican|
|Orrin T. Welch||1875–1883||Republican|
|Richard B. Morris||1883–1887||Democratic|
|Daniel W. Wilder||1887–1891||Republican|
|W. H. McBride||1891–1893||Republican|
|S. H. Snider||1893–1895||Republican|
|George T. Anthony||1895–1896||Republican|
|Alexander P. Riddle||1896–1897||Republican|
|Willard V. Church||1899–1903||Republican|
|Charles H. Luling||1903–1907||Republican|
|Charles W. Barnes||1907–1911||Republican|
|Isaac S. Lewis||1911–1915||Republican|
|Carey J. Wilson||1915–1919||Republican|
|Frank L. Travis||1919–1923||Republican|
|William R. Baker||1923–1927||Republican|
Kansas State Commissioners of Insurance
|William R. Baker||1927–1929||Republican|
|Charles F. Hobbs||1929–1947||Republican|
|Ronald L. Todd||1991–1995||Republican|
- Official website
- Kansas Government Information Online Library (Scroll down to Insurance Department publications)