KanColle Unei Chinjyufu
|Director(s)||Kensuke Tanaka (C2 Preparat)|
|Producer(s)||Kensuke Tanaka (C2 Preparat,KanColle Unei Chinjyufu)
Michio Okamiya (DMM.com)
Yoshimi Yasuda (Kadokawa Games)
|Artist(s)||At least 21|
|Composer(s)||Hiroshi Usami, Kaori Ōkoshi, Michio Okamiya|
|Genre(s)||Online web browser game
Fleet raising simulation
Kantai Collection (艦隊これくしょん Kantai Korekushon, lit. "Fleet Collection", subtitled as "Combined Fleet Girls Collection"), abbreviated as KanColle (艦これ KanKore), is a Japanese free-to-play web browser game developed by Kadokawa Games. The game was launched on April 23, 2013. As of April 2015, the game is available in Japan only and has 3 million registered players. The game has developed into a much larger media franchise; various media including multiple manga series and light novels have been released, in addition to an officially licensed tabletop role-playing game. A PlayStation Vita game was released in February 2016, and an anime television series began airing its first season in January 2015, with an animated film released in November 2016 and an upcoming sequel series announced.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Development
- 3 Media
- 4 Plot and setting
- 5 Merchandise and other collaborations
- 6 Reception
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The gameplay is centred upon building squadrons composed of individual characters represented as cards with different attributes, and then sending said squadrons out on missions. Each of the characters are moe anthropomorphisms of World War II naval warships which are depicted as cute girls, known as "Fleet girls" (艦娘 kanmusu). These personified warships are based on real-life vessels which are explained in detail within the game; the physical characteristics, appearances and personalities of each of the girls correlate in some way to the real-life vessel (for example, ships with a larger displacement tonnage are usually depicted as young women, while smaller ships look and behave like pubescent girls, with a few exceptions). The player takes on the role of an admiral (提督 teitoku) and organises their fleets in battle in order to win. Combat is largely automated, and manual actions by the player include micromanagement such as building and repairing. The player can organise up to four different fleets.
The player progresses through the game by advancing through maps, gaining experience points through grinding, obtaining new fleet girls whilst repairing and resupplying existing ones, and fulfilling quests to obtain resources. New equipment can be crafted, allowing the fleet girls to equip different armaments depending on the situation. Acquisition of new kanmusu by the player can occur via drops on map or via crafting, and is heavily RNG-based; randomisation is also a key component of the battle mechanism, map progression and equipment development. Construction, resupply and repair of ships is reliant upon four types of resources, namely fuel, ammunition, steel and bauxite; these supplies will gradually increase automatically as time passes. Players can choose to engage in expeditions, sorties and quests to further increase their supplies as well.
Ships can be customised through the addition of various equipment within their empty slots, which add attribute bonuses and even provide special effects in some cases; such equipment include naval guns, anti-aircraft guns, torpedoes, torpedo bombers, dive bombers, fighter aircraft, seaplanes, recon planes, radars, steam turbines, special artillery shells, depth charges, sonars, drum canisters, searchlights and anti-torpedo bulges. The effectiveness of ships in combat depend on its attribute parameters, namely hitpoints, armour, evasion, aircraft capacity, speed, attack range, firepower, torpedo, anti-air, anti-submarine, line-of-sight, and luck.
Kanmusu are capable of becoming stronger as they gain experience and level up after battles, and can also be remodeled into more advanced models once they reach a certain level. Unwanted kanmusu can also be "fed" to other kanmusu through a process known as "modernisation" (近代化改修 kindaika kaishu), which grants attribute bonuses to one ship in exchange for losing another. Ships can become fatigued once it accumulates after sorties; fatigued ships have decreased attributes, whilst sparkling ships have increased attributes. Fatigue can be alleviated by allowing ships some time to rest, or by recovering the fleet's morale using Japanese food supply ship Mamiya. As ships become damaged, their icons begin to blow off smoke and their clothing become visually torn and battered; in the event when a ship's durability drops down to zero, it is considered sunk, and the player will lose the fleet girl. Players cannot resurrect fleet girls that have been lost unless they are in possession of an emergency repair item, and are only able to re-train ships that have been lost from scratch.
Whilst the game is free-to-play, special premium bonuses can be obtained through prepaid game money and credit card micropayments, such as repair dock expansions, home shipyard furniture tokens, ship possession limit increases and special consumable items. Although each ship in the game has an experience level cap of Lv.99, the player is able to obtain the "marriage papers and ring" item with a monetary purchase priced at 700 yen or via a one-time special quest, which allows the player to "marry" the girl, thereby breaking the original level cap and allowing a new maximum of Lv.155, in addition to other perks such as stat boosts and decreased operating costs; this process can be repeated as many times as the player wishes, and there is no limit to the number of girls that can be "married".
- Battleship (戦艦): Have strong power and defense, whilst requiring large quantities of resources. A battleship on either side grants a second attack turn for both the player and enemy fleets.
- Aircraft carrier (正規空母): Allows for preemptive aerial strikes before battles. Have long repair times, are expensive to maintain, and the planes require bauxite. Cannot attack at night.
- Light aircraft carrier (軽空母): Have better fuel consumption than standard aircraft carriers and are able to damage submarines, however have lighter armour. Cannot attack at night.
- Armored aircraft carrier (装甲空母): Capable of combat operations even with medium damage.
- Seaplane carrier (水上機母艦): High enemy formation detection stats. Largely weak. Can be equipped with midget submarines and seaplanes, and can attack submarines. Can also be remodeled into light aircraft carriers.
- Heavy cruiser (重巡洋艦): Able to deal significant damage, and are fuel efficient. Have decent overall stats, however does not excel in any particular areas.
- Light cruiser (軽巡洋艦): Strong anti-submarine type, effective during night combat. Have low endurance, and serve as a support role. Though slightly stronger than destroyers, firepower and armour is still limited. Cheap to maintain.
- Destroyer (駆逐艦): Good for night battles and anti-submarine warfare, in addition to being cheap to maintain with their good fuel and repair rate. Boasts a high evasion rate, however also have low armour and firepower.
- Torpedo cruiser (重雷装巡洋艦): Remodeled from certain light cruisers. Capable of deploying midget submarines, allowing a preemptive torpedo strike.
- Submarine (潜水艦): Have low health and limited damage output from its torpedo attacks, however use very small amounts of resources, and can only be attacked by certain ship types. Have a high evasion rate, however are weak against ships equipped with depth charges or sonar. Capable of attacking preemptively.
- Submarine aircraft carrier (潜水空母): Capable of carrying seaplanes.
- Aviation battleship (航空戦艦): Remodeled from certain battleships. Deals less firepower than standard battleships, however can equip seaplane bombers which are able to attack submarines.
- Aviation cruiser (航空巡洋艦): Remodeled from certain heavy cruisers. Can equip seaplane bombers which are able to attack submarines.
- Amphibious warfare ship (揚陸艦): Largely useless during combat. Autogyros play an anti-submarine role, whilst equipped landing crafts add a resource bonus to expeditions.
- Repair ship (工作艦): When placed within a fleet, gradually repair other ships within the fleet over time, similar to a repair dock.
- Fleet oiler (補給艦): Capable of refueling the fleet during sortie when equipped with Underway Replenishment.
- Coastal defense ship (海防艦): The developers anticipate that these ships will play an anti-submarine role, and will feature a more cute and childish character design, reason being that coastal defense ships are smaller in size compared to destroyers.
Upon the debut of the game, there were a total of 94 different fleet girls available. Within an update introduced May 15–17, 2013, additional fleet girls were added. On September 11, 2013 the first non-Japanese vessel, Soviet destroyer Verniy (Верный), was introduced into the game. There were plans during the early stages to eventually bring additional ships from other countries, and in March 2014, three German Kriegsmarine vessels were added. Two Italian ships were added as part of the 2015 Spring event in April 2015, with one more added in August. The first fully non-Axis ship, the American USS Iowa (BB-61), was introduced with KanColle Kai on February 18, 2016, later becoming available in the browser game's 2016 Spring event. Presently there are 164 original girls in addition to 72 upgraded variants, bringing the total number of fleet girls to 236. The game currently holds spaces for 250 different types of fleet girls. Different fleet girls are illustrated by different artists; artists involved in the drawing of various characters include Shibafu, Yoshinori Shizuma, Konishi, Kūrokuro, Akemi Mikoto and 16 other artists. Fumikane Shimada, who was previously the lead character designer for Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer, created the designs and illustrations for Japanese armored aircraft carrier Taihō and the five German vessels.
The traits of each fleet girl are based on aspects of the historical ship they are based on; for instance, Japanese battleship Kongō frequently adds English words and phrases into her dialog as a reference to her British origins, whilst Japanese destroyer Shimakaze is depicted as a speedy girl in artworks and official print media, since Shimakaze was one of the fastest destroyer ships of World War II. Characters which share particular links also have similar physical traits: ships of the same class may have similar accessories or clothing, whilst all Imperial Japanese Navy submarines are depicted as wearing sukumizu.
Voice actors have been employed to voice the fleet girls, with anywhere around 10 fleet girls being voiced by one actor.
Prior to Kantai Collection, the majority of games published by DMM.com were R-18+ adult online games. In an effort to attract customers from a wider audience, DMM.com experimented with Kantai Collection in partnership with Kadokawa Games; by November 2013, Kantai Collection accounted for 30-40% of DMM.com's total online game business.
Unlike other online games in Japan, Kantai Collection was designed with the intention of not forcing the player to spend money or participate in "gacha" lotteries. The purpose of this stems from Kadokawa desiring a larger target market and to establish the game as a well-known name, eventually allowing for merchandising and sales of franchise works.
Kensuke Tanaka, who prior to Kantai Collection was involved in the production and public relations for Final Fantasy X, XI and XIII, wished to create a game which involves historical elements while still appealing to the regular fans of DMM.com, namely fans of anime and manga culture, and this led him to the idea of developing a game centred on anthropomorphisms of warships.
A bi-monthly online web manga by Ryōta Momoi began serialization from April 23, 2013 in the Famitsu Comic Clear. The manga follows a 4koma format, and features a storyline with the fleet girls enrolled in schools, where senior girls teach battle techniques to their juniors. It has been updated weekly since October 2013. Ryōta Momoi's 4koma manga will be released in print book format under the title KanColle 4 cell comic: Fubuki, I will do my best! (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 4コマコミック 吹雪、がんばります! Fubuki, Ganbarimasu!) beginning from December 14, 2013.
Famitsu Comic Clear has introduced an additional manga adaptation by Shōtarō Harada under the title Issued! Naval Base Communications (発令！鎮守府通信 Hatsurei! Chinjufu tsūshin) beginning from July 9, 2013.
The Famitsu website also hosts a web comic titled KanColle Play Manga: Blazing Ships Weather (艦これプレイ漫画 艦々日和 Kankan Biyori) by Tadashi Mizumoto which focuses on gameplay aspects of Kantai Collection. It began serialization from August 23, 2013. In addition, illustrations column Kanmusu and ships large picture book (艦娘及ビ艦船大図鑑 Kanmusu oyobi Kansen Dai-zukan) with multiple illustrator at the same time as the manga has also been serialized.
A manga by Kensuke Tanaka and illustrated by Sakae Saitō titled KanColle: Someday as the Seas turn Calm (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- いつか静かな海で Itsuka shizuka na umi de) began serialisation in Monthly Comic Alive in the December 2013 issue (released October 28, 2013), with a focus on an original story revolving around Tenryū and Tatsuta.
In addition, another manga series by SASAYUKi featuring the title KanColle side:Kongō (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- side:金剛) was serialized in Comptiq from the December 2013 issue (released November 9, 2013) onwards, with a story based on the adventures of battleship Kongō. It began serialisation within the May 2014 issue of Comptiq (released April 10, 2014) and was later terminated within the November 2014 issue (released October 10, 2014).
A manga titled KanColle: Torpedo Squadron Chronicles (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 水雷戦隊クロニクル Suirai sentai kuronikuru) and illustrated by Yasuhiro Miyama began serialisation in the January 2014 issue (released November 9, 2013) of Comp Ace, with the plot focusing on the Akatsuki sisters.
Age Premium featured a manga publication by Nanaroku titled KanColle: nanodesu. (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- なのです。) starting from January 2014 issue (delivered December 9, 2013), with Inazuma as the main character. It was serialized to May 2014 issue (delivered April 9, 2014).
A manga series titled KanColle: Shimakaze Whirlwind Girl (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 島風 つむじ風の少女 Shimakaze Tsumujikaze no shōjo) by Kazuma Yamazaki, Hyōbu Madoka later Kaname Yokoshima and illustrated by Kazuma Yamazaki began serialisation within the Dengeki Maoh magazine in the February 2014 issue (released December 27, 2013).
A manga series by Hiroichi titled KanColle: The perched naval base (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 止まり木の鎮守府 Tomarigi no chinjufu) began serialisation in the July 2014 issue (released May 27, 2014) of Dengeki Daioh, focusing on a storyline revolving around the heavy cruisers Kumano and Suzuya.
Kadokawa website also hosts a web comic titled Loose Ship: Woman Admiral Play Diary (ゆる艦〜女提督プレイ日記〜 Yuru Kan: Onna teitoku purei nikki) by Sau Nitō and illustrated by Sōta Wakui which focuses on gameplay aspects of Kantai Collection. It began serialization from March 22, 2014 in Comic Walker.
Kadokawa has also announced a manga series titled KanColle: Black Order (provisional) (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- ブラックオーダー（仮） Black Order (kari)), created by Ōto Taguchi who was previously responsible for the Mobile Suit Gundam 00 manga. However, the project was cancelled after a disagreement between the author and publisher.
Famitsu Comic Clear, DNA Comics, Comptiq and Dengeki Comics have also published numerous series of comic compilation books which each contain a collection of various one-shot manga.
A short story series featuring aircraft carriers Zuikaku and Shōkaku written by Hiroki Uchida and illustrated by Matarō, titled KanColle: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鶴翼の絆 Kakuyoku no kizuna), began serialisation within the January 2014 issue (released November 20, 2013) of Dragon Magazine.
A light novel based on the game with the title KanColle: Kagerō, Setting Sail! (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 陽炎、抜錨します！ Kagerō, batsubyō shimasu!), written by Toshihiko Tsukiji and illustrated by NOCO, was released on November 30, 2013.
A novel project featuring aircraft carriers Kaga and Akagi involving the illustrator Koruri and the authors Kei Shiide, Kazuyuki Takami and Dai Akagane has been announced, with the title KanColle: A day at a certain naval base (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- とある鎮守府の一日 Toaru chinjufu no ichinichi). It was serialized in Comptiq between the January 2014 (released November 9, 2013) and August 2014 (released July 10, 2014) issues. A novel to share the view of the world, KanColle: 1st Carrier Division, Heading Off! (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 一航戦、出ます！ Ikkōsen demasu!) written by Kazuyuki Takami and illustrated by GUNP was released on November 2, 2014.
A novel series featuring light aircraft carriers Zuihō written by Yukiya Murasaki and illustrated by Satoru Arikawa, titled KanColle: Beautiful sea, Phoenix sky (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 瑞の海、鳳の空 Mizu no umi, ōtori no sora) was released on February 1, 2015.
List of publications
|Composer(s)||Hiroshi Usami[*], Kaori Ōkoshi[*], Michio Okamiya[*]|
A single-player turn-based strategy game titled KanColle Kai (艦これ改) was announced for the PlayStation Vita during Kadokawa Games' 2013 Autumn media briefing, and following two launch delays, was finally released on February 18, 2016. The game is the second title independently created by Kadokawa Game Studio, after Natural Doctrine. KanColle Kai introduces various strategy elements such as hexagonal world maps, a new resource transfer system involving the escorting of supply ships over each game turn, player-selected difficulty settings, enemy counterattacks against the player's bases, control of over up to eight fleets on the world map, and the ability to simultaneously operate two separate fleets within some sortie maps. Existing functions from the original web browser game are also present, with major user interface changes. Menu screens feature Live2D character animations, and the player will encounter a "game over" state if all of their territories are destroyed by the enemy. The Vita game contained the original debut of USS Iowa (BB-61) as a playable ship, prior to her seasonal event implementation within the browser game.
In March 2014, financial analyst Fukuda Sōichirō of Citigroup Global Markets Japan made the prediction in a stock investor report that the PS Vita game would ship 500,000 copies, and expects that a profit of 1 billion yen be made. He also cites the ability to charge players for in-game premium items on the PS Vita platform as an upside for Kadokawa Corporation business-wise. Famitsu gave the game a review score of 29/40. The game sold 140,757 physical retail copies within the first week of release in Japan, placing first within the Japanese software sales rankings for that particular week; Dengeki Online and Famitsu both report that between 80-100% of the initial retail batch stock was sold out within the first week.
Kadokawa Games has announced that the game will be no longer sold physically in retail stores or digitally in the PlayStation Store by the end of January 2017.
|Developer(s)||Sega Interactive AM2|
|Composer(s)||Hiroshi Usami[*], Kaori Ōkoshi[*], Michio Okamiya[*]|
|Genre(s)||Action, Trading card|
KanColle Arcade (艦これアーケード) is a trading card arcade game developed by Sega AM2 and launched on April 26, 2016. The game features fully modeled 3D characters, and involves the player taking control of the direction and speed of their ship in combat against Abyssal ships, in addition to collecting different shipgirls. The game charges players with a GP system akin to that of Border Break, where money is converted into GP at a specific rate, with these points consumed for each second of play or converted in exchange for various other game elements. The game is controlled using a steering wheel and speed lever, and the player is able to organise their fleet using kanmusu cards ejected by the arcade machine. While in combat, the player can choose between using primary and secondary armaments, torpedoes and airstrikes against foes.
An official KanColle tabletop RPG has been developed; the introductory rulebook for the game was published by Kadokawa and Fujimi Shobo, and released on 18 March 2014. A first rule book written by Tōichiro Kawashima and illustrated by Yukio Hirai, titled Combined Fleet Girls Collection RPG: Introductory Book (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦これRPG 着任ノ書 KanColle RPG: Chakunin no Sho) was released on March 18, 2014.
A replay series written by Shiei Akatoki and illustrated by Yebisu Daikanyama, titled Combined Fleet Girls Collection RPG Replays: Wish Across the Sea (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦これRPGリプレイ 願いは海を越えて KanColle RPG Replays: Negai wa Umi o Koete) was released on July 19, 2014.
A lonely replay series written by Tōichiro Kawashima and illustrated by Chino Yukimiya, titled Combined Fleet Girls Collection RPG Replays of Lonely: Although the sky is so blue (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦これRPGぼっちリプレイ 空はあんなに青いのに KanColle RPG Botchi Replays: Sora wa Anna ni Aoi no ni) was released on January 20, 2015.
An anime television series began airing in January 2015. The series is animated by Diomedéa, and features Japanese destroyer Fubuki as the main character, with the storyline based on her point of view. The show is directed by Keizou Kusakawa, with the script written by Jukki Hanada. The anime series features the voice cast from the original game. A sequel has been announced.
An original game soundtrack KanColle Original Sound Track: Dawn (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- KanColle Original Sound Track 暁 KanColle Original Sound Track: Akatsuki) was released on August 3, 2014. Second original game soundtrack KanColle Original Sound Track 2: Wind (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- KanColle Original Sound Track II 風 KanColle Original Sound Track 2: Kaze) was released on August 5, 2015.
Two vocal music collection CDs KanColle Ship Girl Feelings Song 1: KanColle Vocal Collection, Volume 1 (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦娘想歌【壱】 KanColle Vocal Collection vol.1 KanColle Kanmusu Sōka 1: KanColle Vocal Collection, Vol.1) and KanColle Ship Girl Feelings Song 2: KanColle Vocal Collection, Volume 2 (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦娘想歌【弐】 KanColle Vocal Collection vol.2 KanColle Kanmusu Sōka 2: KanColle Vocal Collection, Vol.2) have also been released on August 3, 2014.
Limited edition versions of the side:Kongō and Torpedo Squadron Chronicles manga series tankōbon were bundled with drama CDs featuring original dialogue stories from the characters' original voice actors, titled "Hiei makes curry" (比叡、カレーを作る Hiei, karē o tsukuru) and "Akatsuki's dream" (暁の夢 Akatsuki no yume).
An anime television soundtrack Television Anime "KanColle" Original Sound Track: Ship Sound (TVアニメ「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-」オリジナルサウンドトラック “艦響” TV anime "KanColle" Original Sound Track: Kankyō) was released on March 25, 2015. A anime television vocal music collection CD Television Anime "KanColle" Character Song: Ship Girl's Song (TVアニメ「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-」キャラクターソング “艦娘乃歌” TV anime "KanColle" Character Song: Kanmusu no Uta) was released on March 25, 2015.
Plot and setting
Whilst the original game does not have a particular storyline, and largely focuses on gameplay, each of the official media works feature various settings with separate and differing canons. Not only do the stories differ, but also the depictions and interpretations of fleet girls and the manner in which they engage in combat. The game does not strictly define anything relating to its setting, allowing for a greater diversity of secondary literary adaptation works which cater to different audiences, and more artistic freedom among secondary works which can approach the setting of Kantai Collection differently.
Kadokawa has not officially announced whether any secondary work is absolute canon, nor have they released significant quantities of canonical material, with some official works even contradicting one another. For instance, some manga anthology depictions show the ship girls as ship-sized giants, while other serialised manga show them as human-sized. The television animation explains the ship girls as humans born with the ability to possess the spirits of World War II warships, while within the Bonds of the Wings of Cranes light novel, the girls refer to themselves as actual warships, and that their origin is unknown.
2015 anime television series
KanColle: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes
Within the story of Bonds of the Wings of Cranes, the setting is within an alternate universe where World War II never took place. The fleet of the Abyss, consisting of monster ships, lock down access to the seas and indiscriminately fire upon vessels and aircraft, and feed on the corpses of dead sailors in the water. The large number of abyssals, along with their regenerating ability, allowed them to easily defeat the conventional navies and modern militaries of the world. Ship girls are the guardians of humanity and human-weapon hybrids that are summoned using spirit energy (霊力), with female forms as the ships they represent have female souls. Zuikaku, having taken a humanoid form, remembers a time where she was once a ship, however does not know the reason behind her human form.
The fleet girls live within an old-fashioned Japanese-style hotel which doubles as the girls' dormitory, and is close to a nearby factory which services combat equipment. The admiral of the fleet is a young man who behaves like a pervert, fond of groping the ship girls and playing with their skirts, although his personality does become serious when commanding the fleet. As the ship girls and abyssal fleets engage in combat, both sides are guarded by a protective barrier. The aircraft carriers Akagi and Kaga are depicted as firing archery arrows from a bow which then transform into fighter planes. Armaments are detachable equipment, and when not in combat gear the ships otherwise appear as ordinary girls.
KanColle: Kagerō, Setting Sail!
This light novel is set within a universe based on the real world, where normal girls undergo training to become ship girls. Hundreds of warships were destroyed by abyssal forces which spontaneously emerge from anywhere under the sea, and as a result, ship girls are employed to counter the threat.
KanColle: Someday as the Seas turn Calm
A series of mini-arcs connecting a ship girl to her existing counterpart by gradually introducing characters and rotating the leads. Within this manga, ship girls are depicted as flying on the water surface whilst in combat against the abyss fleet of monster ships, and launch aircraft managed by tiny fairies in a conventional takeoff manner from their body attachments. Artillery and torpedo combat is shown to be performed at long range, whilst anti-submarine warfare takes place in close quarters.
Torpedo Squadron Chronicles
This manga adaptation focuses on the adventures of the Tenryū class and Akatsuki class, as it follows the newly assigned Tenryū and her new squadron in solving the mystery of the Abyssal Fleet.
KanColle: Shimakaze Whirlwind Girl
This manga depicts the story of a newly appointed, rookie officer by the name of Ensign Akai who arrives at the Maizuru Naval Base for duty as the assistant to the vice-admiral, however has to deal with a stubborn and difficult Shimakaze who spends most of her time alone, and does not have any friends. Multiple nations around the world have developed ship girls for their navy power, and Maizuru is one of the major bases of Japan responsible for managing them.
KanColle: Fubuki, Ganbarimasu!
This slice of life 4koma depicts the everyday life of the ship girls at the fleet training school, where newly manufactured ship girls spend one year learning knowledge before setting out to sea. Most of the scenarios are taken from the point of view of Fubuki, and feature the girls doing fun things with one another, which include attending school, drinking tea, celebrating various holidays like Tanabata, Halloween and Christmas, in addition to the occasional sortie. The ship girls retain memories of their previous lives from World War II, at times displaying signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. References to their personal histories and characteristics are common and usually used to comedic effect. This manga depicts the ship girls as being able to walk on the surface of the water in a manner akin to ice-skating, just like in the anime series.
Merchandise and other collaborations
Merchandise based on the game have been launched as a result of the success of the online game, proliferation of derivative works, and strong interest in the franchise. PVC figurines have been released, including Nendoroid and Figma figurines of both Shimakaze and Akagi, in addition to a 1/7 scale PVC display figurine of a severely damaged Kongō designed and manufactured by Max Factory. A trading card game based on the online game released on 28 March 2014 reportedly sold 1.7 million packets within its first shipment.
In September 2013, a collaborative project between Kantai Collection and the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime was announced. Illustrators for Kantai Collection are responsible for drawing some of the anime end cards for Arpeggio of Blue Steel, which feature crossovers with Kantai Collection characters. An Arpeggio of Blue Steel in-game special event for Kantai Collection also took place from 24 December 2013 to 8 January 2014.
Due to the high popularity of the game within Japan, game operators created larger numbers of servers in early 2013 to cope with the influx of players. During August 2013, the number of new players spiked by 100,000 people within one week, to a total of 600,000 people, with 350,000 daily active players. By September 2013, it was reported that there were more than 800,000 players regularly active. The total number of players broke 1,000,000 on 9 October 2013. As of April 2015, there were 3 million players. One commonly cited explanation behind the success of the game is that players aren't forced to spend money to play, unlike other popular Japanese online games; the free-to-play nature of Kantai Collection makes in-game purchases optional, and not a necessity. It is estimated that on average, Kantai Collection players spend less money on the game compared to the popular Japanese games Puzzle & Dragons, The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls and Love Live! School Idol Festival.
Cultural trends and industry reception
|A graph comparing the participation of dōjin circles at Comiket 85 (Winter 2013),
the first Comiket event with a significant KanColle presence.
|A graph comparing the number of dōjin circles with Kantai Collection works
from Comiket 84 onwards.
Interest in Kantai Collection has significantly risen over the months following its release, to the point where it has often been compared with the fandom of Touhou Project as an emerging viral fandom. There has been a large increase in online activity and fan-created material relating to the game, such as fan-made artworks, doujinshi and other derivative content. As of April 2015, there are over 345,000 different artworks on Pixiv tagged with "KanColle" created by 67,000 individual artists, and KanColle-related videos on Niconico were watched 460 million times. During Comiket 85, there were 1,136 dōjin circles producing works for Kantai Collection, placing third behind Touhou Project (2,272 circles) and Kuroko's Basketball (1,462 circles), and ahead of The Idolmaster and Vocaloid; this is a significant increase over the previous Comiket 84 event, which only had just over 100 circles with Kantai Collection works. Dōjin material relating to the game have also gained traction overseas; KanColle-exclusive dōjin events have been held in Shanghai on 22 February 2014, and Taipei on 29 March 2014.
On 12 December 2013, Twitter officially released the top hashtags of 2013; was the most used hashtag among Japanese Twitter users. The game was also the eighth most searched term within Japan on Google in 2013. On 30 December 2013, GameSpark named Kantai Collection as the online game category title for its game of the year awards of 2013, ahead of runners-up League of Legends, World of Tanks and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. A survey of 151 different prominent Japanese game developers conducted by 4gamer asked what each developer considered to be the best game of 2013; nine of these developers selected Kantai Collection. Among these developers, Naoki Yoshida of Square Enix, who produced and directed Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, stated that Kantai Collection is Japan's answer to World of Tanks, and that he was impressed by the business model; meanwhile, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA director Seiji Hayashi of Sega referred to the game as "innovative". Kantai Collection was named "Rookie of the Year" during the WebMoney 2013 Awards, as a new entrant to the games market.
Financial reception and sales figures
Speaking at a symposium held by Kadokawa ASCII Research Institute on 27 September 2013, the chairman of the board of directors of Kadokawa Group Holdings, Tsuguhiko Kadokawa, stated that despite the game's popularity, Kantai Collection is nearly unprofitable for the company, in part due to the game being funded by various company partnerships, such as the profit-sharing agreement made between Kadokawa Group and DMM Group, given that none of the game's development fees were paid for by Kadokawa. Kadokawa's stock price rose by 1000 yen within June 2013, following the initial rise of the game. It is expected that Kadokawa will need to rely on sales of intellectual property media works such as books and manga in order to raise profits. Kadokawa Games president Yoshimi Yasuda affirms that the free-to-play business model of the game will not change despite reports of a lack of revenue gain.
Toshihiko Tsukiji's light novel Kantai Collection: Kagerō, Setting Sail! sold 16,624 copies within its first week of release, placing 11th place within the Oricon book ranking charts. Also debuting the same week were the Sasebo Naval District Compilation Vol.1 and Maizuru Naval District Compilation Vol.1 comic anthologies, which sold 59,552 copies and 58,110 copies respectively. In mid-November 2013, Yokosuka Naval District Compilation Vol.1 sold 48,909 copies during its first week, placing 10th place among all comic sales. The first manga volume of Fubuki, Ganbarimasu! sold 28,324 copies within its first week in December 2013. The KanColle White Paper official book published by Kadokawa placed third overall within the Oricon book charts during its debut week in October 2013, selling 46,039 copies.
An editorial within the South Korean Hankook Ilbo on 4 November 2013 accuses that the strong popularity of the game is due to a conservative political shift amongst young people in Japan following long-term economic recession and political instability, and that the game majestifies the wartime Imperial Japanese Navy. Addressing the Hankook Ilbo allegation, Akky Akimoto writing for The Japan Times disagrees with the idea that the game's design deliberately facilitates any political shift, and argues that the 1970s anime series Space Battleship Yamato was subject to similar criticisms despite having little effect on domestic politics.
Another opinion piece from the Asahi Shimbun suggests that the game's unforgiving mechanics, such as ships permanently sinking, some of them may even trace for their grandparents' military service history, so helps players understand the brutality of war given the desperate situations, that they can gain a more positive understanding of history or even oppose conflict itself. On the other hand, Jonathan Gad of Vice claims that the Kantai Collection anime television series is historically revisionist, criticising the show's depiction of the Japanese protagonists being victorious over the Battle of Midway.
Intellectual property infringement outside Japan
In January 2015, allegations arose that the company Beijing Longzhu Digital Technology (北京龙珠数码科技), which runs an unofficial pirated KanColle server in Mainland China, spent CN¥700,000 (US$112,800) in purchasing various Chinese-language KanColle internet forums such as the KanColle subforum on Baidu Tieba; online discussion boards intended for discussing the original Japanese game were closed down or placed under new management, while the forums of the pirated bootleg Chinese KanColle remained online. This led to widespread unrest amongst Chinese players of the original game, resulting in large-scale internet raids on forums and social media, distributed denial-of-service attacks, and website defacing via SQL injection by hackers against those running the bootleg server. An article published by China Central Television referred to the incident as the largest online mass boycott and protest against intellectual property infringement in China, and a wake-up call for the Chinese gaming industry as a whole to strive for integrity and refrain from creating copycat works.
- Tōken Ranbu, a popular clone of Kantai Collection anthropomorphizing historical swords as attractive young men
- KanColle White Paper: Kantai Collection Official Book (艦これ白書: 艦隊これくしょん オフィシャルブック) (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. 2013-10-18. ISBN 978-4047318755.
- "Japan's Latest Popular Online Game Has Anthropomorphic Battleships". Kotaku. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "「提督といっしょに創り上げていきたい」『艦隊これくしょん 艦これ』キーマン・田中謙介氏インタビュー【前編】" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2013-09-07. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-」正式サービスが4月23日にスタート" (in Japanese). 4gamer. 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "祝2周年！ 艦これはこれからも拡大を続けていく". ASCII.jp (in Japanese). April 23, 2015. Archived from the original on April 25, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Kan Colle Kai launches February 18 in Japan". Gematsu. October 8, 2015.
- "【速報】『艦これ改 (仮)』PS Vitaで2014年発売決定 『艦これ』アニメ化企画も進行中！" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "Kan Colle Franchise Gets Anime Film in 2016". Anime News Network. August 9, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "KanColle Television Anime Gets Sequel". Anime News Network. March 25, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- "—". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 1: 4–27. 2013-09-30. ISBN 978-4047292338.
- "新サーバー開設！これから始める『艦隊これくしょん』のススメ" (in Japanese). Weekly ASCII Plus. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Kantai Collection". Culture Japan. Danny Choo. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- Kantai Collection: Ship Girl Catalogue (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦娘型録) (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. 2014-06-10. ISBN 978-4041106341.
- "「艦隊これくしょん」ブレークの背景 ソーシャルゲームの新しい可能性とは？" (in Japanese). THE PAGE. 2013-08-12. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- ""KanColle" Now Lets You Marry Your Ship Daughter". Crunchyroll. 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- Toshi Nakamura (2013-12-31). "Japan's Biggest Gaming Phenomenon of 2013". Kotaku. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- "『艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-』1週間で登録者数が10万人増え、合計60万人突破！アクティブユーザーも35万人規模に" (in Japanese). Inside. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "『艦これ』「春イベント」を含む、23項目ものアップデート告知内容をチェック ─ 榛名の改二に関するコメントも" (in Japanese). Inside. 2014-04-23. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "—". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 1: 31–33. 2013-09-30. ISBN 978-4047292338. Quote: "海防艦は対潜作戦や、輸送船団護衛任務に適した形で出したいと思っています。デザインは、排水量的に駆逐艦よりも小さい船ですから、さらに可愛げがある形になるんじゃないかと思います。"
- "「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-」はいかにして生み出されたのか。その思想から今後のアップデートまで，角川ゲームスの田中謙介氏に語ってもらった" (in Japanese). 4gamer. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "—". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 1: 31. 2013-09-30. ISBN 978-4047292338. Quote: "他には『艦これ』で海外艦を出したいともおっしゃっていましたね。／もちろん出す予定です...某戦艦とか有名なとこもいってみます"
- ""KanKolle" Adds Three German Ships". Crunchyroll. 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- ""KanColle" Spring Event Introduces Italian Ship Daughters". Crunchyroll. April 28, 2015. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "[GAMES] Kantai Collection’s Summer 2015 event begins, new ships added". 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "PS Vita Game Introduces The First "KanColle" American Ship Girl". Crunchyroll. February 21, 2016.
- Green, Scott (May 3, 2016). ""KanColle" Spring Event Introduces Overseas Friends From US And Italy". Crunchyroll. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- Yoshiyuki Tanaka, Itō Teitoku (2013-08-30). "『艦これ』プロデューサー田中氏インタビュー 第二期実装と開発に込めた想いとは？" (in Japanese). Weekly ASCII Plus. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "「アニメ化も夢ではないかもしれません」『艦隊これくしょん 艦これ』キーマン・田中謙介氏インタビュー【後編】" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "運営鎮守府司令長官が語る 「艦これ」誕生秘話". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten (October 2013 issue 別冊付録「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 提督が鎮守府に着任しました」): 74–79. 2013-09-10.
- "「特別企画 今話題の「艦これ」ってどんなゲーム？」". MC☆Axis. Icarus Shuppan (30): 112–113. 2013-09-21.
- KanColle_STAFF (13 Dec 2013). "最新鋭の正規空母、航空母艦「大鳳」が間もなく「艦これ」に就役予定です。現在実装艤装の最終段階です。デザインは、あの島田フミカネさん！魅力一杯の航空母艦「大鳳」の就役をもう少しだけお待ちください。年内就役予定で現在実装作業中です！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- humikane (14 Mar 2014). "艦これ：先日のアップデートで追加されたドイツ艦 Ｚ１・Ｚ３・ビスマルクの3キャラを担当しました。駆逐～軽巡くらいのボリューム感は頭使うところが大型艦とまた違って面白いなあと" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "「強烈な艦これファンが選ぶ！ 人気ゲーム『艦隊これくしょん』お付き合いしたい艦ベスト10" (in Japanese). Rocket News 24. 2013-11-03. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- "アニメ情報アプリ『ツイアニ』にて「艦これ」の待ち受け画像の無料プレゼントキャンペーン開始" (in Japanese). Akiba Scope. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "艦娘の声優は誰？ 【週刊艦これ】" (in Japanese). Media Factory. 2013-08-25. Archived from the original on 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- "—". Dengeki G's Magazine (電撃G's magazine) (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. November 2013 issue: 72–73, 76–79. 2013-09-30.
- "艦隊これくしょん" (in Japanese). DMM.com. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "『艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-』美少女に擬人化した戦艦「艦娘」でオリジナル艦隊を編成! 艦娘のボイスには日高里菜さんや井口裕香さんといった人気声優陣が続々と参加" (in Japanese). Animate TV. 2013-04-22. Archived from the original on 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "キャラクター/艦隊これくしょん～艦これ～" (in Japanese). Famima.com. 2013-10-07. Archived from the original on 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Kantai Collection: Admiral @ Report (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 提督@報告書) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 2014-12-12. ISBN 978-4047301290.
- "｢KADOKAWA GAME STUDIO MEDIA BRIEFING 2013 AUTUMN｣で注目タイトルの詳細が判明！" (in Japanese). Official PlayStation Japan Blog. 2013-09-27. Archived from the original on 2014-06-21. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- "—". Febri (in Japanese). Ichijinsha (20): 36. 2013-12-10.
- "特集 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten (April 2014 issue): 20–33. 2014-03-10.
- "艦隊これくしょん-艦これ-大特集". Febri (in Japanese). Ichijinsha (19): 22–29. 2013-10-10.
- "Space Craft Voice Artists 宮川若菜（みやかわ わかな）" (in Japanese). Space Craft co. ltd. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "艦隊これくしょんオフィシャルウェブサイト - キャラクター" (in Japanese). DMM.com/Kadokawa Games. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- Land, Sea and Air. (りくかいくう。 Riku Kai Kū.) (in Japanese). Icarus Shuppan. 2013-08-09. ISBN 978-4863207592.
- "久しぶりに告知". Kozue Hayasaka's Diary (in Japanese). Kozue Hayasaka. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- kobayashimotoko (26 Jun 2013). "ソーシャルゲーム ..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- nomizuiori (3 Jun 2013). "[お知らせ] 艦隊育成カードゲーム「艦隊これくしょん～艦これ～」に、正規空母 翔鶴型で出演させていただいています！新規レア艦娘(かんむす)…！しっかりさんな素敵な子なので、ぜひイベントでゲットして育ててあげて下さい" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "『艦これ』劇場版アニメが2016年公開決定。テレビシリーズ続編と並行して制作". Famitsu (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 2015-08-09. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "艦娘速報,艦これ声優会報". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. September 2015 issue: 17–25. 2015-09-10.
- "おたんじょーびと、ご報告。". Komana Diary (in Japanese). Mana Komatsu. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Shiei Akatoki (2014). Kantai Collection: KanColle RPG Replays: Wish Across the Sea, Volume 2 (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦これRPGリプレイ 願いは海を越えて (2)) (in Japanese). Fujimi Shobo. p. 9. ISBN 978-4040702391.
- "ブリドカット セーラ 恵美" (in Japanese). Production Ace. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "運営鎮守府からのお知らせ Topic No.181" (in Japanese). 「艦これ」運営鎮守府. 2013-07-10. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "「艦隊これくしょん」のアニメ化が進行中、2014年にPS Vita化も" (in Japanese). Otasuke. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "運営鎮守府からのお知らせ Topic No.150" (in Japanese). 「艦これ」運営鎮守府. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- KanColle_STAFF (10 Feb 2016). "昨日のアップデートにより、【新艦娘】三隻が実装されました。うち二隻「初月」と「Zara(ザラ)」は、冬イベ作戦海域の攻略突破で艦隊に参加します！同二隻の新艦娘CV担当は下記のお二人です！ 秋月型防空駆逐艦「初月」：中島愛さん Zara級重巡洋艦「Zara」：赤崎千夏さん #艦これ" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- KanColle_STAFF (31 Jul 2013). "予定が少し狂ってしまいましたが… 最後に【5隻目】の【新艦娘】情報をお知らせします！ (明朝、お手すきの時に、読んで頂ければと思います) ..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- KanColle_STAFF (4 Mar 2014). "続けて、「艦これ」艦娘C.V.の皆さんをご案内します。 竹達彩奈さん…戦艦「大和」、そして夕雲型駆逐艦「夕雲」、同「巻雲」などを担当して頂きました！ #艦これ" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- KanColle_STAFF (4 Mar 2014). "本日ご案内した「艦これ」新艦娘C.V.情報、まとめです！..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Ma_ri_ya_i (16 Jan 2014). "艦これの伊401、しおいちゃんの声は私ですよ(*^^*)皆さん可愛がってあげて下さいね！！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "—". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. October 2014 issue. 2014-09-10.
- "—". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. January 2015 issue: 51–53. 2014-12-10.
- "Appearances". Blue sky step! (in Japanese). Ari Ozawa. 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "艦これ声優会報". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. April 2015 issue. 2015-03-10.
- "艦娘速報". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. July 2015 issue: 58–51. 2015-06-10.
- "艦娘速報". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. January 2016 issue: 12–13. 2015-12-10.
- A＆G NEXT GENERATION Lady Go!! (in Japanese). 2015-05-19. Nippon Cultural Broadcasting.
- "艦娘速報". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. April 2016 issue: 270–271. 2016-03-10.
- "コンプ運営鎮守府訪問！". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. April 2016 issue: 272–273. 2016-03-10.
- She is scheduled to be implemented in the spring of 2016 in the browser version. KanColle_STAFF (8 Feb 2016). "2/18(木)】にPSVita用ソフト「艦これ改」がリリースされます！海外新艦娘も一隻先行実装されますが、同艦は春に本実装予定なので、そのために買う必要はありません。いつまでも「艦娘」と一緒にいたい、戦域SLG型「艦これ」がやってみたい提督方は、どうぞご検討ください！ #艦これ" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- KanColle Kai Staff Roll
- Anime "Arpeggio of Blue Steel" Episode 1 End Card.
- "ウルトラネクスト 艦隊これくしょん-艦これ- 田中Pインタビュー". Ultra Jump (in Japanese). Shueisha (February 2014 issue): 294–295. 2014-01-18.
- M_ars (26 Apr 2014). "すでにご存知かも知れませんが、艦これにて新艦娘”天津風”のデザインを担当させて頂いてます。なにとぞよろしくお願いします～！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- M_ars (15 Nov 2014). "艦隊これくしょんにて新艦娘防空駆逐艦”秋月”を描かせて頂きました。 なにとぞよろしくお願いします～！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- M_ars (28 Apr 2015). "そういえば今日から始まってるイベントで新艦娘”秋津洲”を描かせて頂きました～" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- M_ars (7 Sep 2015). "今回の夏のイベントでは”照月”と”防空棲姫”をデザインさせて頂きました～" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- M_ars (11 Feb 2016). "キラッ☆" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ku_ro_kuro (29 Dec 2013). "@Korogaru_S はい、まるゆとあきつ丸は私がグラフィックを担当しました。" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ku_ro_kuro (28 Aug 2014). "イベントが終わりましたので艦これ雲龍のデザインについてツイートします" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ku_ro_kuro (8 Feb 2015). "艦これ天城のデザインについてはイベント終了後に書こうと思います。今回はかなり奥での入手になるので。" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ku_ro_kuro (1 May 2015). "葛城の解説はイベントスタート1週間後くらいならいいかな" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Parsley_F (28 Mar 2014). "本日実装の「浜風」描きました～（今更）" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Parsley_F (23 Apr 2014). "谷風描きました・・・（小声）" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Parsley_F (20 Nov 2015). "先日実装の「鹿島」描かせて頂きました。" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- hisakacolors (29 Jan 2014). "睦月の絵嫌いだけど弥生の絵の人は好きって、という発言をみるのですが、ごめんなさい、それ、両方、描いてるの私です" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- hisakacolors (29 Jan 2014). "今からかえって娘たちをむかえにいくぞー！" (Tweet) – via Twitter. , hisakacolors (29 Jan 2014). "@tako_ckc ぼくだよ！" (Tweet) – via Twitter. , hisakacolors (29 Jan 2014). "@drew213g 卯月は絶対うさぎを描くって決めてましたね……drewさんの漣うさぎもかわいいです！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "—". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 1: 1. 2013-09-30. ISBN 978-4047292338.
- Dōjinshi "Teitoku no Fuyuyasumi." (同人誌『提督の冬休み。』) (in Japanese). C2機関. 2013-12-30.
- "—". Model Graphics (in Japanese). Dainihon Kaiga (July 2014 issue): 1, 15, 40. 2014-05-24.
- Kantai Collection: Admiral @ Report (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 提督@報告書) (in Japanese) (e-book ver.1.1 ed.). Enterbrain. 2015-01-07. ISBN 978-4047301290.
- "艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 艦娘イラストコラム 商品詳細" (in Japanese). Enterbrain. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "Index". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 6: 5. 2015-05-02. ISBN 978-4047305533.
- "娘TYPE4月号は「艦これ」大特集！ 表紙もピンナップも描き下ろし「艦これ」づくし!!". WebNewtype (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- OGch (3 Nov 2013). "あれだ、色々見てくれてる人は知ってるかもしれないけど、艦これの空母ヲ級とか戦艦タ級以降は角川さんとこのアキラさんという方だそうです。ボスとか潜水艦を描いてるそうで、スケール感がすごい！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Drawing With Wacom イラストレーター おぐち". Wacom Tablet Site (in Japanese). Wacom (company). 2014-05-09. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "Hoppō Seiki Color Pin-up Poster". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. September 2014 issue. 2014-08-10.
- humikane (14 Nov 2014). "艦隊これくしょん、先日のアップデートで実装された、重巡洋艦プリンツ・オイゲンを書かせていただきました。主砲の数・配置、艦橋等、交戦した英軍も誤認したという、よく似た艦影が特徴なので、「一回りコンパクトなビスマルク」と言うイメージにしています" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- humikane (7 Feb 2015). "水中表現に青緑系の色味に振ってあるので、陸にいるときはもうちょっとニュートラルなグレー、なんです" (Tweet) – via Twitter. , humikane (9 Feb 2015). "母港では違和感出るの承知で（特に中破）、どうしても水中運用のシーンが書きたくて､運営さんにワガママきいていただきました。可愛がってやってね" (Tweet) – via Twitter. , humikane (8 Feb 2015). "「このスーツ構造どうなってんのん？あっ･･･破いちゃった」 「この生地と縫製、うちじゃ再現できそうにないッすよ･･･」 ｢じゃあ･･･」" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- humikane (22 Nov 2015). "18日のイベントから実装の独航空母艦、グラーフ・ツェッペリンを担当しました。外観周りについてぼちぼち書いてみようと思います" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Jiji_Aardvark (9 May 2015). "なんかわりとリットリオやローマを描いてもらっているのを目にする…ありがとうございます…" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "艦これをパズドラと並べないでください" (in Japanese). ASCII.jp. 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "「KILLER IS DEAD」「艦これ」そして「天空の機士ロデア」――角川ゲームス 安田善巳社長が，同社の最新作とその先について語ってくれた". 4gamer (in Japanese). July 27, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "「艦隊これくしょん」ブレークの背景 ソーシャルゲームの新しい可能性とは？". The Page (in Japanese). August 12, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "「艦これ、ほとんど儲からない」角川歴彦会長が明かす". Huffington Post (in Japanese). 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "『艦これ』連載4コマ毎週更新＆アンソロの追加情報！" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- utakataclub (4 Oct 2013). "【お知らせ】艦これ4コマが6Pにダイエットしつつ毎週更新になりました。詳細はコミッククリアのブログで！→ 『艦これ』連載4コマ毎週更新＆アンソロの追加情報！ - コミニー[Cominy] www.famitsu.com/cominy/?m=pc&a=page_fh_diary&target_c_diary_id=69941 … @cominyさんから" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Kantai Collection Moe Card Battle Game Gets Anime, New Manga". Anime News Network. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "【艦これ プレイ漫画/水本正】艦々日和 第16回 提督のイベント結果" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "好評発売中の「コミック アライブ12月号」は『のんのんびより』特集号！ 『艦これ』コラボ企画もスタート！" (in Japanese). Animate News. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "「艦これ」特大ポスター付き「コミック アライブ12月号」発売" (in Japanese). ITmedia. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "December 2013 Preview" (PDF) (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "付録が超豪華＆艦これ漫画版連載開始のコンプティーク12月号" (in Japanese). NewAkiba. 2013-11-10. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "「Fate/EXTRA」キャス狐の学園劇が開幕、コンプエースで" (in Japanese). Mynavi News. 2013-10-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "『艦隊これくしょん』エイジプレミアム2014年1月号より『艦これ』コミカライズスタート！" (in Japanese). SurPara News. 2013-10-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "マオウで「GE2」マンガ化、次号「艦これ」島風編が開幕" (in Japanese). Comic Natalie. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "—". Comptiq (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten (January 2014 issue). 2013-12-10. ASIN B00GXGMPRQ.
- "『月刊コミック電撃大王』誕生20周年で記念プロジェクトが始動" (in Japanese). ITmedia. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Kantai Collection Gets Manga Series Starring Kumano, Suzuya". Anime News Network. 2014-04-24. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Kantai Collection Black Order Manga to Launch in ComicWalker". Anime News Network. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "「艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- ブラックオーダー（仮）」掲載中止のお知らせ" (in Japanese). ComicWalker. 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 陽炎、抜錨します!" (in Japanese). Enterbrain. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "艦これ ： 初のラノベ化 アンソロコミックは早くも重版" (in Japanese). Mantanweb. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Battleship Girl Game Phenomenon "Kantai Collection" Inspires Light Novel and Manga". Crunchyroll. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "PlayStation Vita Will Get A Game About Girls Personified As A Naval Fleet". Siliconera. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- Dengeki PlayStation volume 593 (July 2015 issue), page 192-193.
- "『艦隊これくしょん』が収益寄与に向けて「出撃」…シティグループ証券がPSVita版『艦これ』で「増益10億円」と予想" (in Japanese). Social Game Info. 2014-03-14. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1419". Gematsu. February 9, 2016.
- "Media Create Sales: 2/15/16 – 2/21/16". Gematsu. February 24, 2016.
- "【週間ソフト販売ランキング TOP50】PS Vita『艦これ改』が13.5万本を売り上げ1位（2月15～21日）". Dengeki Online (in Japanese). February 25, 2016.
- "販売本数ランキング TOP30 (2016年2月15日～2016年2月21日)". Famitsu (in Japanese). February 27, 2016. Archived from the original on February 26, 2016.
- "PS Vita『艦これ改』2017年1月末をもって出荷・販売を終了". Inside (in Japanese). December 15, 2016.
- "Kan Colle Arcade debut screenshots". Gematsu. February 12, 2015.
- KanColle_STAFF (13 Jan 2015). "2015年夏のスタートを目指して、『艦これアーケード』を【セガAM2研】さんと「艦これ」運営鎮守府で現在企画開発を進めています。同先行ロケーションテストを今月下旬に実施予定です。参加ご希望の提督は下記ご案内をご覧ください！" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Sega Puts "KanColle Arcade" on Display at Japan Amusement Expo". Crunchyroll. February 21, 2016.
- "提督！ サイコロと会話で遊ぶテーブルトークRPG「艦これRPG」の詳細が分かりました！" (in Japanese). Ameba News. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "『艦これ』ファンイベントでアニメ最新情報が公開 放送時期は2015年1月予定、キャストや制作スタッフなどの情報も判明" (in Japanese). Famitsu. 2014-08-03. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "【艦これ】アニメは2015年1月に放送開始 公式ファンイベント「第一回横浜観艦式予行」レポート". Huffington Post (in Japanese). 2014-08-03. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "—". Newtype (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten (January 2014 issue). 2013-12-10. ASIN B00GUP6QU2.
- "アニメ『艦隊これくしょん-艦これ-』公式サイトがついにオープン" (in Japanese). Niconico News. 2013-12-10. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Keizou Kusakawa Helms Kantai Collection Anime at Diomedea". Anime News Network. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "声優はそのままに『艦これ』がTVアニメ化決定！さらにPS Vita版は『艦これ 改』として2014年にリリース予定" (in Japanese). Inside. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "『艦これ』オリジナルサウンドトラックが今夏にリリース" (in Japanese). Inside. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "『艦これ』初のCDドラマ、制作決定 ─ 「比叡、カレーを作る」「暁の夢」の二篇を予定" (in Japanese). Inside. 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "KanColle Film's Title, Teaser Visual Unveiled". Anime News Network. March 17, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "KanColle Film Slated for Fall". Anime News Network. March 21, 2016. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- "KanColle Film's November 26 Date Unveiled With New Visual". Anime News Network. August 7, 2016. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- Hiroki Uchida (2014-02-20). Kantai Collection: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鶴翼の絆) (in Japanese). Fujimi Shobo. p. 29. ISBN 978-4040700328.
- Hiroki Uchida (2014-02-20). Kantai Collection: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鶴翼の絆) (in Japanese). Fujimi Shobo. pp. 35–37, 79. ISBN 978-4040700328.
- Hiroki Uchida (2014-02-20). Kantai Collection: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鶴翼の絆) (in Japanese). Fujimi Shobo. p. 23. ISBN 978-4040700328.
- Hiroki Uchida (2014-02-20). Kantai Collection: Bonds of the Wings of Cranes (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鶴翼の絆) (in Japanese). Fujimi Shobo. pp. 75–77. ISBN 978-4040700328.
- 2013-11-30, Toshihiko Tsukiji, Kantai Collection: Kagerō, Setting Sail! (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 陽炎、抜錨します!). Enterbrain. ISBN 978-4047292666.
- 2014-10-27, Kazuma Yamazaki/Hyōbu Madoka, Kantai Collection: Shimakaze Whirlwind Girl, Volume 1 (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 島風 つむじ風の少女 1). ASCII Media Works. ISBN 978-4048666121.
- "「艦これ」の「島風」ねんどろいど登場 次は「赤城」！" (in Japanese). ITmedia. 2013-10-01. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "New Kantai Collection Nendoroid from Good Smile Company". Anime News Network. 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "『艦隊これくしょん』から「1/7スケール 金剛大破ver.」商品化決定！「figma島風」「figma赤城」も進行中。「ねんどろいど 赤城」のイラストも公開！" (in Japanese). SurPara News. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "NHKニュースで「今日の主役はオバマではなかった」 ツイッターランキングを独占した「艦これ」って何？" (in Japanese). J-CAST. 2014-04-24. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "ユキ提督こと比企コミッククリア編集長が突撃！ 田中プロデューサー夜戦インタビュー！". Kantai Collection: Recommend the naval base life (艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- 鎮守府生活のすゝめ) (in Japanese). Enterbrain. 1: 28–33. 2013-09-30. ISBN 978-4047292338.
- "First Impressions: Arpeggio of Blue Steel". Japanator. 2013-09-10. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "—". Weekly ASCII (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works (12/17 issue). 2013-12-03.
- "提督100万人突破、そして島田フミカネ氏による航空母艦も実装決定！ ─ 『艦これ』秋のイベントも実施準備中" (in Japanese). Inside. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "ツイート数は「パズドラ」より「艦これ」 【ゲームの課金についてのツイート分析】" (in Japanese). MarkeZine. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Top Doujinshi Events Most Popular By The Numbers". Crunchyroll. 2013-11-02. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "【C85】コミケ最大の台風の目!? 「艦これ」同人サークルまとめ" (in Japanese). SNN. 2013-12-28. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "コミックマーケット86 主要作品別サークル数！ 『艦これ』が去年の冬コミより９００以上も増えてるううううう". Yara-On!. August 4, 2014.
- "Winter Comiket Catalog Posted Online, with Kantai Collection At the Top Spot". Anime News Network. November 2, 2014.
- "コミケ88（夏コミ） 作品別サークル数まとめ・・・「艦これ」が今回も２５００超え！". Yara-On!. June 23, 2015.
- ""ポスト東方"との見方も浮上した「艦隊これくしょん」 情報アプリ「艦これまとめ」もDL数が急増中" (in Japanese). Excite. 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "東方＆艦これ！ニコ動と同人界を騒がす二大タグに迫る" (in Japanese). ASCII.jp. 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "コミケ人気とニコ動・pixiv人気は相関するのか調べてみた" (in Japanese). ASCII.jp. 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "舰娘同人祭 in 魔都: 最新情报" (in Chinese). 舰娘同人祭in魔都组委会. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "福爾摩沙鎮守府 艦これONLY" (in Chinese). Animen. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- Akky Akimoto (2013-12-17). "Looking at 2013′s Japanese social-media scene". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "ANIME NEWS: 'KanColle,' 'Shingeki' among most popular hashtags on Twitter". Asahi Shimbun. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Top 10 search terms in Japan in 2013". Japan Today. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "【Game of the Year 2013】オンラインゲーム部門は『艦隊これくしょん～艦これ～』" (in Japanese). Inside. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "今年は総勢151名。ゲーム業界著名人に聞く2013年の注目タイトルと2014年へのメッセージ: 吉田直樹" (in Japanese). 4gamer. 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "今年は総勢151名。ゲーム業界著名人に聞く2013年の注目タイトルと2014年へのメッセージ: 林 誠司" (in Japanese). 4gamer. 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "【WebMoney Award 2013】 Rookie of the Year GRAND PRIX 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-" (in Japanese). WebMoney. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "半年で100万ユーザー突破！「艦隊これくしょん～艦これ～」大ヒットから見えるポスト・ソーシャルゲームビジネスの行方――角川ゲームス安田善巳社長インタビュー" (in Japanese). Diamond OnLine. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "異形の急成長企業ＤＭＭ、多角化とトップの実像". Nihon Keizai Shimbun. June 27, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "2013年11月25日～2013年12月01日の文庫" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-12-09. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "2013年11月25日～2013年12月01日のコミック" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-12-09. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "2013年11月11日～2013年11月17日のコミック" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, December 9–15". Anime News Network. 2013-12-18. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "2013年10月14日～2013年10月20日のBOOK(総合)" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- 김범수 (Kim Bum-soo) (2013-11-04). "일본 우경화에 대한 단상" (in Korean). Hankook Ilbo. Archived from the original on 2013-11-04. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- Akky Akimoto (2014-02-20). "‘Kantai Collection’: Social game of warships sets course for big money". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "（声）「艦これ」ブーム 戦中派不安" (in Japanese). Asahi Shimbun. May 24, 2014. Archived from the original on May 25, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Jonathan Gad (April 13, 2015). "The Japanese Military Is Getting Offensively Cute". Vice Media, Inc. Archived from the original on April 14, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "【艦これ】中国の海賊版「艦娘国服」にDMMが対抗措置を検討". Huffington Post (in Japanese). 2014-12-12. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- "资深程序揭秘 "舰娘国服"实为"私服"" (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 2015-01-16. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "《舰娘》国服70万买下舰娘贴吧 引来粉丝疯狂攻击" (in Chinese). 3DM游戏. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "舰娘国服70万买贴吧迎来恐怖攻击 舰娘国服7次被黑始末曝光" (in Chinese). Phoenix New Media Limited. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "中国"提督"们的抗争 和《舰娘国服》之谜" (in Chinese). China Central Television. January 20, 2015. Archived from the original on February 21, 2015. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kantai Collection.|
- Official pages of the game
- Licensed web manga
- KanColle manga "Fubuki, Ganbarimasu!" at Famitsu Comic Clear
- KanColle manga "Chinjufu tsūshin" at Famitsu Comic Clear
- KanColle manga "Kankan Biyori" and Illustrations Column at Cominy
- KanColle manga "Fubuki, Ganbarimasu!" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Kankan Biyori" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Someday as the Seas turn Calm" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Torpedo Squadron Chronicles" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Shimakaze Whirlwind Girl" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Naval base of the perch" at Comic Walker
- KanColle manga "Yuru Kan" at Comic Walker
- Official sites of secondary works
- Official Vita game website
- Official anime website
- Official arcade game website
- Official Tabletop RPG website