|Born||13 June 1980|
Kapurthala, Punjab, India
Early life and education
Kanu Behl spent his early years in Patiala, Punjab before moving to Delhi in 1990. Both his parents, Navnindra and Lalit Behl are writer-actor-directors and also directed telefims for the state-run Doordarshan channel.
He studied at Apeejay School, Noida and sought a bachelor's degree in Business from Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Delhi University. In 2003, he joined the Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute and pursued a PG Diploma in Cinema. While at the Institute, he attended the Berlinale Talent Campus 2007 and made his documentary 'An Actor Prepares', about a struggling actor, who after seven years decides to give himself 15 days to make it in the film industry or return home. The documentary entered competitively at Cinéma du Réel 2007, a documentary film festival in France.
After graduating from SRFTI, he produced and directed documentaries for international channels like NHK, Japan and ZDF/Arte. He worked with Dibakar Banerjee on the feature film Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! as an Assistant director. In 2010, he co-wrote the critically acclaimed Love Sex aur Dhokha with Banerjee and was the chief assistant director on the project.
In 2012, the script of his first independent feature film Titli, was selected by NFDC for the Screenwriters' Lab 2012, which later won the 'Post-Production Award' at Film Bazaar's Work-In-Progress Lab in 2013. Titli, his directorial debut, has excelled and been honoured at several prestigious international film festivals since its completion, including the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, Melbourne International Film Festival, Rio de Janeiro International, Zurich Film Festival, Filmfest Hamburg, BFI London Film Festival & Chicago International Film Festival among several others. Written and directed by Behl and co-produced by Dibakar Banerjee Productions and Yash Raj Films, Titli was selected to take part in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, the only Indian Feature Film in Cannes that year.
- Titli (2014)
As assistant director
- Khanabadosh, TV Serial (Chief Asst. Director)
- Love Sex Aur Dhokha (First AD)
- Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008)
- Love Sex Aur Dhokha
- Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!
- Mahasangram, Hindi TV Serial
- Happy Birth Day, Hindi Telefilm
- Rani Kokilan, Hindi Telefilm
Awards and nominations
- Nominated for 56th Filmfare Awards in Best Screenplay Category for film Love, Sex Aur Dhoka.
- Nominated for Apsara Awards in Best Screenplay Category for film Love, Sex Aur Dhoka.
- Nominated for Caméra d'Or at 2014 Cannes Film Festival
- Critics Prize at FIFIB, Bordeaux
- Best Film at Seattle South Asian Film Festival
- NETPAC Award at Hawaii International Film Festival
- Best Film at SAIFF, New York
- Best International Film at Malatya International, Turkey
- Best Actress and Best Film, Gijón International Film Festival, Spain
- "Kanu Behl". IMDB.
- Dipti Nagpaul (4 May 2014). "Ties That Bind". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "India's Kanu Behl and Dibakar Banerjee Explain 'Titli' Challenges". https://variety.com/. 2014-05-20. Retrieved 2015-01-15. External link in
- "YRF's Titli to compete at Cannes Film Festival". India Today. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "India's Indie Film 'Titli' Shines at Cannes". The Wall Street Journal. 2014-06-21. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "11 Indian films at Melbourne International Film Festival". DearCinema. 2014-08-04. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Indian new-age cinema a hit at Zurich fest". The Indian Express. 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Titli". http://www.filmfesthamburg.de/. Retrieved 2015-01-15. External link in
- "Picks from the upcoming 58th London Film Festival 2014". http://www.easternkicks.com/. 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2015-01-15. External link in
- "Kanu Behl's TITLI at 50th Chicago International Film Festival by Chicago International Film Festival in Chicago". Chicago Indian. 2014-10-15. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "After 'Titli', 'True Love Story' at Cannes film fest". Livemint. 22 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "2014 Official Selection". Festival de Cannes 2014 (International Film Festival). Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "First-time director from India in the running for Camera d'Or at Cannes". The National. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Titli, Teenkahon winners at SSAFF 2014". Dear Cinema. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Titli, Killa winners at SAIFF 2014". Dear Cinema. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Turkish film festival awards Indian 'Titli'". wn.com. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Titli takes top prize at Gijón". wn.com. Retrieved 2015-01-15.