Kaori Icho (Japanese: 伊調 馨, Hepburn: Ichō Kaori, born 13 June 1984) is a Japanese freestyle wrestler. She is a ten-time World Champion and four-time Olympic Champion, winning gold in 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016. Icho was undefeated between 2003 and 2016. On 29 January 2016 at the Golden Grand Prix Ivan Yarygin 2016 Icho lost to Pürevdorjiin Orkhon of Mongolia. This was her first loss after a long domination.
She is the first female in any sport to win individual-event gold at four consecutive Olympics. On October 20, 2016, she was awarded the People's Honour Award by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for her achievements, the second wrestler to receive the highest award, after Saori Yoshida in 2012. She is the younger sister of Chiharu Icho.
Championships and accomplishments
- Tokyo Sports
- List of multiple Olympic gold medalists
- List of multiple Olympic gold medalists in one event
- List of multiple Olympic medalists in one event
- "Icho, Hamada Roll While Tsargush, 'Gazi' Rocked at Yarygin Grand Prix". wrestrus.ru. Archived from the original on 24 February 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Wrestler Kaori Icho makes history with fourth straight gold". BBC Sport. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "東京スポーツ プロレス大賞：選考経過（2000～2009）". Tokyo Sports (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "東京スポーツ プロレス大賞（2010～）". Tokyo Sports (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Kaori Icho at United World Wrestling
- Kaori Icho at the International Olympic Committee
- Kaori Icho at Rio2016.com at the Wayback Machine (archived August 26, 2016)
- Kaori Icho at databaseOlympics.com (archived)
- Kaori Icho at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com (archived)