18 September 1978 |
|Area(s)||Character design, writer, manga artist, illustrator|
|Pseudonym(s)||Agata Fumio (県 文緒)|
|Emma, Shirley, A Bride's Story|
|Awards||Excellence Prize – Emma|
Kaoru Mori (森 薫 Mori Kaoru, born 18 September 1978) is a Japanese manga artist from Tokyo. She is the creator of the successful manga series Emma, A Bride's Story and Shirley. Many of her works are centred on female characters in the 19th century, such as a maid in Victorian Britain and a bride in Turkic Central Asia. She also writes dōjinshi under the pen name Fumio Agata (県 文緒).
Mori is not only famous for her storytelling and art, she is also famous for her unflattering self-portraits, usually an outline for a body, a head with wild hair, and her hand-drawn highly decorative costumes within her works. She is also shy of making public appearances or giving interviews in person.
It has been announced that the author will be publishing a two-installment spinoff of Shirley in Fellows!, where her latest work Otoyomegatari is also being serialized.
- Emma (エマ Ema) – 10 volumes in total
- Shirley (シャーリー Shārī) – ISBN 4-7577-1313-4, Release date: February 2003
- Otoyomegatari (乙嫁語り, licensed as A Bride's Story) – Serializing in Enterbrain's bimonthly manga magazine Fellows! since October 2008.
- Violet Blossoms (すみれの花 Sumire no Hana) – Art; story by Satoshi Fukushima.
- Excellence Prize – 2005 Japan Media Arts Festival for Emma
- 7th Annual Manga Taishō Award – 2014 Manga Taishō for A Bride's Story
- Chih-Chieh Chang (1 September 2006). "Interview: Kaoru Mori". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- "Emma's Mori Draws Shirley Spinoff, Satoshi Fukushima to Start Series". Anime News Network. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- 2005年 文化庁メディア芸術祭 マンガ部門 (in Japanese). Japan Media Arts Plaza. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Kaoru Mori's A Bride's Story Wins 7th Annual Manga Taisho Award. Anime News Network. 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2014-12-27.