ABS-CBN Sports and Action
|Type||Sports and action channel|
|Branding||ABS-CBN Sports+Action Channel 23|
|Headquarters||3rd Flr., ABS-CBN Broadcast Center, Mother Ignacia St., corner Sgt. Esguerra Ave., Barangay South Triangle, Diliman, Quezon City|
|Dino Laurena (ABS-CBN Integrated Sports Head)
March Ventosa (ABS-CBN Narrowcast & DTT Channels Head)
Vince Rodriguez (ABS-CBN Sports and Action Head)
|January 18, 2014
; 1 year ago (terrestrial)|
June 2015 (international)
|Studio 23 (1996–2014)|
|ABS-CBN Sports and Action|
|Launched||July 10, 2015|
|Owned by||ABS-CBN Corporation|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||Work Hard, Play Harder|
|Headquarters||150 Shoreline Drive Redwood City, California 94065-1400|
|Formerly called||Pinoy Central
|Sister channel(s)||ANC Global, Cinema One Global, Myx TV, The Filipino Channel|
|DirecTV (nationwide)||Channel 2064|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel TBA (SD) (Coming Soon)|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 694 (SD)|
ABS-CBN Sports and Action Channel 23, stylized as ABS-CBN Sports+Action, is an English free-to-air sports and action channel. It is managed by ABS-CBN Narrowcast group thru ABS-CBN Sports. The channel occupied the former channel space of Studio 23, a young adult-oriented network ceasing operations on January 16, 2014. It began its operations on January 18, 2014. It broadcasts Mondays to Fridays, from 6:30 AM to 12:00 AM, and Saturdays to Sundays from 5:00 AM to 12:00 AM. (except for special broadcasts from 2:30 AM to 12:00 MN)
It is also have an international channel (carried with the same channel name), aired worldwide via The Filipino Channel (satellite and IPTV service).
According to ABS-CBN Narrowcast Head March Ventosa, the division started developing the concept of a sports channel of free television for a year. Also with its launching, the management decided to drop the strong Studio 23 branding for it is well associated with entertainment programs of which the former channel only carries 30 percent of sports related / male-dominent content.
The channel was officially launched in Glorietta 3, Ayala Center, Makati on January 16, 2014. The event was attended by several well known Filipino athletes including Marlon Stockinger, Donnie Nietes, the Azkals team, Jeron Teng, and some ABS-CBN executives and personalities. The event also provided a glimpse of its program lineup which includes sports coverage of UAAP, Top Rank and Pinoy Pride boxing bouts, and the Azkal's football matches.
A test broadcast was done a day prior to its official launching on January 18, 2014.
The network's newest station ID featuring the dedication and spirit of the Filipino athletes was launched during It's Showtime last May 24, 2014. "Ito ang Ating Sandali", composed and performed by former Rivermaya vocalist Rico Blanco was used for the station identification.
ABS-CBN Sports+Action was launched internationally in June 2015 via TFC, as the replacement of the BRO channel, the channel broadcasts several sports coverages, programs which also aired on Channel 23 and carry-up shows including leasure, comedy and action-packed movies. Now on Singtel TV Pay TV Customers in Singapore Channel 694 has been Launched since on June 2015.ABS-CBN Sport and Action will be Coming Soon in Malaysia via Astro (satellite TV) and to be announced by Astro.
According to Sports Interactive Network Philippines, 70 percent of its contents will be about sports, with the remaining of it covering Filipino action films, English television series, programs dedicated for the children, news updates, and other entertainment, informative & religious programs such as blocktimers.
- Further information: ABS-CBN Sports+Action Stations
- Dyan Castillejo (January 17, 2014). "Mga dapat abangan sa bagong sports channel ng ABS-CBN". TV Patrol (in Filipino). ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (January 14, 2014). "Studio 23 to become an all-sports channel on free TV after reformatting". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Eunice Blanco (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN turns Studio 23 into sports channel, launches ‘Sports & Action’". The Philippine Star. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Dennis Gasgonia (January 16, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches new sports channel". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Rowena Tan (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches Sports+Action". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Sports+Action, All New Sports Destination For Kapamilya Sports Fans". ABS-CBN Corporation. January 18, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Arniel C. Serato (January 17, 2014). "Studio 23 goes off the air; ABS-CBN launches new sports channel". Philippine Entertainment Portal. pp. 1–2. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Kane Errol Chua (February 2, 2014). "A new home for sports & action programs". The Philippine Star. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Sports+ Action SID "Ito ang Ating Sandali"". ABS-CBN. YouTube. May 24, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN SPORTS + ACTION, NOW AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE VIA TFC". ABS-CBN PR. ABS-CBN PR. June 18, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Reuben Terrado (January 16, 2014). "After launch of sports channel, ABS-CBN official says PBA games an 'enticing content'". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN sports channel committed to live airing of top events, says officials". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved January 18, 2014.