Kapaun Mt. Carmel High School
|Kapaun Mt. Carmel High School|
|8506 East Central Avenue 
Wichita, Kansas 67206
|School type||Private, High School, Coed, Parochial school|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Robert Knapp |
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Athletics conference||Greater Wichita Athletic League (GWAL)|
|Rival||Bishop Carroll Catholic High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Tuition||None (Stewardship Model)|
Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School, sometimes called Kapaun, is a private, four year, co-educational, secondary school operated by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wichita. It is located in the east side of Wichita, Kansas. The school colors are blue and white. The average annual enrollment is approximately 850 students.
Kapaun Mt. Carmel is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 5A division and are known as the "Crusaders". Extracurricular activities are also offered in the form of performing arts, school publications, and clubs.
Chaplain Kapaun Memorial High School was named after Chaplain Emil Kapaun, a priest of the Wichita Diocese who served and died in the Korean War. It opened in 1956 another site on east Central Ave (not the same as the present site), in east Wichita, and was operated by the Jesuits as a preparatory school for young men. Jesuits served at the school in various capacities until the early 1990s. Alumni of the initial Chaplain Kapaun school recall that under the basketball court's "floating floor" was a rifle range, where students - under supervision - practiced marksmanship with school-supplied .22 cal rifles, and that supported a school rifle team.
Mount Carmel Academy was established in 1887 by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) as a girl's boarding school. The BVM sisters served the school until the early 1990s. John (Jack) Vickers (1891-1940) was an oil mogul who got his start in Butler County oil fields and former "Vickers Oil Refinery" in Potwin. In 1934, Vickers built a large mansion at 8500 E Central (named "Vickridge"). In 1961, his estate became the new site for "Mount Carmel Academy".
Kapaun Mt. Carmel High School was established in 1971 as the result of the merger of "Chaplain Kapaun Memorial High School" and "Mount Carmel Academy" at the current Vickridge location.
In 2006, Kapaun Mt. Carmel began a $2.3 million expansion to the school. A new restroom was constructed, as well as expanded art and debate rooms, new teacher lounges, and a new student commons area. The expansion was completed in August 2007.
Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School is also accredited by the State of Kansas, and the National Catholic Educational Association. Institutional membership is held in the National Association of College Admissions Counseling and several other professional organizations.
The Crusaders compete in the Greater Wichita Athletic League (GWAL) and are classified as a 5A school, the second-largest classification in Kansas according to the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Throughout its history, Kapaun Mt. Carmel has won 100 state championships in various sports. Many graduates have gone on to participate in Division I, Division II, and Division III athletics. The Crusaders' primary rival is Bishop Carroll Catholic High School, located in west Wichita.
Track and field
Kapaun Mt. Carmel currently has the most Kansas state championships in football, wrestling, and golf as well as holding the only two grand state wrestling championships in Kansas, coached by Duwane Miller. The grand state championship tournament was discontinued. Kapaun won the only two Grand State Wrestling championships ever held.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Cross Country, Boys||4||1977, 1979, 1980, 1981|
|Cross Country, Girls||1||2003|
|Football||9||1970, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1987|
|Golf, Girls||5||1975, 1983, 2013, 2014, 2015|
|Tennis, Girls||13||1984, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007|
|Gymnastics, Girls||4||1979, 1980, 1981, 1982|
|Winter||Wrestling||12||1975, 1975 Grand State, 1976, 1976 Grand State, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987|
|Basketball, Boys||4||1978, 1980, 1981, 2012|
|Basketball, Girls||2||1979, 2012|
|Indoor Track & Field, Boys||2||1977, 1978|
|Track and Field, Girls||1||2005|
|Track and Field, Boys||7||1977 indoor, 1977 outdoor, 1978 indoor, 1978 outdoor, 1979, 1982, 1983|
|Golf, Boys||31||1958 (2-Man), 1964 (2-Man), 1971, 1972 (2-Man), 1973, 1975 (2-Man), 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015|
Kapaun Mt. Carmel won the Kansas State Science Olympiad competition from 2003 to 2007.
The Crusaders won the Scholars Bowl State Tournament in 1996, 2001, 2002, and 2013.
Kapaun Mt. Carmel won the State Eco-Meet competition in 2005 and 2006.
- David Arkin, former player for the Dallas Cowboys
- Dan and Frank Carney, original founders of Pizza Hut
- Greg Dreiling, former NBA player
- Grier Jones, former PGA Tour golfer and golf coach at Wichita State University
- Mary Ann Coady Weinand, inspirational psychiatrist
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Kapaun Mount Carmel Catholic High School; United States Geological Survey (USGS); October 13, 1978.
- Kapaun Mt. Carmel - Administration List
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- KMCCHS. "Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School History". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- "Tihen Notes Subject Search Vickers,vickridge" (PDF). Wichita State University Libraries’ Department Of Special Collections. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- KMCCHS. "Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- KSHSAA. "Kansas State High School Activities Association Web site". Retrieved 2007-05-10.
- KMCHS Sports
- "State Records & State Champions". Archived from the original (English) on 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- History of Wichita and Sedgwick County Kansas : Past and present, including an account of the cities, towns, and villages of the county; 2 Volumes; O.H. Bentley; C.F. Cooper & Co; 454 / 479 pages; 1910. (Volume1 - Download 20MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 31MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kapaun Mt. Carmel High School.|