|Elevation||5,900 ft (1,800 m)|
The town of Kapchorwa is located in the Sebei sub-region, approximately 65 kilometres (40 mi), by road, northeast of Mbale, the largest city in the Eastern Region. This is approximately 310 kilometres (190 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the town are 1°24'00.0"N 34°27'00.0"E (Latitude:1.4000; Longitude:34.4500).
During the 2002 national population census, Kapchorwa's population was estimated at 8,700. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 12,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 12,900.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of the town:
- headquarters of Kapchorwa District Administration
- offices of Kapchorwa Town Council
- mobile branch of PostBank Uganda
- Kapchorwa central market
- Town View Secondary School, a middle school (grades 8 - 11).
- Kapchorwa Senior Secondary School
- Kapchorwa police station
- Centenary Bank, Kapchorwa Branch
- Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited
- Kapchorwa General Hospital, a 150-bed public hospital administered by Uganda Ministry of Health
- "Road Distance Between Mbale and Kapchorwa With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Kapchorwa With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Google (13 July 2015). "Location of Kapchorwa At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Kapchorwa In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter